How to remove window/instrument reflections?

• As both are way overdone for my liking, is there a way to get rid of them?
    E.g. when doing aerobatics in the MB339, especially the instrument reflections are really distracting.

• It is one of the gimmicks designed to give an instant bogus impression to an absolute and ignorant beginner. If the instrument panel is vertical a reflection off a gauge below the pilot's eye line can only come from a point low in the rear of the cockpit. The reflections near to the straight ahead position would be from the pilot's lower body yet we see phantom cloud reflections from light magically piercing the fuselage. The hud/reflector-sight reflections are awful. I am saddened that it consumed development time that could have been used elsewhere. I have not flown for a long time but I cannot remember gauge reflections.

• don't hate me for this, but i feel they did an excellent job.
    I have been flying 3 of their featured aircraft in real life and their gage tops reflect as much as they do in the sim.
    If this feature touches personal preferences, why not make it a setting option?

• I would agree that it is possible with steeply angled panels and high level gauges such as compasses on centre posts when the light is coming from the beam. It is not authentic in most cases. I am delighted with Aerofly and do not expect perfection. It is helpful to suggest failings in order to help with improvement.

• Even without VR they are way too noticable. Another problem is that IRL when looking through the canopy your eyes ar focusing at infinity and hence you barely notice the reflections at this short distance.
    In FSX e.g. Carenado/Alabeo not only make perfectly subtle and realistic reflection, you can turn them off with a mouse click as well (the gauge reflections can be turned off as well)

• Well I just removed the cockpit glass reflections from the C-172 by manually renaming the texture file 'glass_reflection_color.ttx' to 'glass_reflection_color.OLD'. There are no doubt similar files for the other aircraft and each aircraft has other '_reflection' texture files that I'm sure you can play with renaming to get rid of other reflections (panels, gauges etc.).

Just backup or list which files you rename in case you need to put things back as they were. Also, further updates to Aerofly may overwrite/replace your manual changes unless you make a copy of the aircraft folder and place it in your '(hard drive):\Users\(your name)\Documents\Aerofly FS 2\aircraft' folder.

• don't hate me for this, but i feel they did an excellent job.
    I have been flying 3 of their featured aircraft in real life and their gage tops reflect as much as they do in the sim.
    If this feature touches personal preferences, why not make it a setting option?

Ah, I only meant the reflections of the instruments in the canopy itself.

I _really_ like the reflections of the sky in the glass of the dials. Regardless of how physically real it might be, it gives a tremendous feeling of reality in VR. In fact it's the main reason I don't fly DCS or FSX/Flyinside any more.

• I have to reply to this as I mentioned the same thing in my earlier thread as well..
    I agree that the instruments are overdone and it is little distracting in VR.
    On the other hand, canopy reflection is just right in my opinion..
    I ques everybody have different recipe for the best experience so maybe just two lines in a config file that we could edit..?
    With this IPACS can maintain the simplicity of UI as I think they really want to keep the whole thing simple.. (sadly) :)

Over and Out

Jay

• I remember the curved perspex canopy of a de Havilland Chipmunk giving instantly noticeable optical distortion which passed waves of fine displacement of the background as one's head moved. This was a 1950s trainer and I have seen similar effects in WW2 aircraft in Youtube. Would this be typical of a Corsair's curved transparencies? I'm sure original Spitfire front canopies gave distortion from the curved elements either side of the flat armoured glass.
    The reflections on the Aerofly windows are very pleasant, would this subtle distortion effect enhance the Corsair, P-38 and any new warbirds?