Damage from stress...

• It's been a long time since I last had Aerofly FS1 installed, so I don't really recall if this was modelled, but I guess it was...

In AEFS2 the resistance of all aircraft to stress when operating way above their limits is infinite. It reminds me of MS FLIGHT.

I can take the F4-U, for instance, to 25000 ft and from there dive at max speed and above and then fully pull on the stick to recover and gladly continue flying.

I would like to see some damage due to stress implemented in the aircraft.

Limited by Main Thread...

• Damage modelling is anathema! Damaging modelling is the devil, and only evil people ask for it. No serious flyer is interested in damage modeling, and if you are, you are obviously not a true simmer and possibly emotionally and psychologically compromised as well. :D

Its EViiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillll!!!!!!!

THREAD CLOSED!!!!!!!

At least that's pretty much how it goes on other simulation sites. :confused: :rolleyes:

Be interesting to see whut happens here though, since the wings have previously come off of some planes of FS1. That raises the hope that the subject will at least be open to reasonable discussion.....

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (November 1, 2016 at 3:13 PM).

• The multi-body physics in the Aerofly FS 2 is far more complex than in FS 1. The few aircraft from Aerofly FS 1 actually still have wings that can break off as far as I remember. (Extra, Pitts, Swift, ASG29...)
    The other aircraft with complex gear setup use a different joint calculation where a lot of uninteresting or undesired degrees of freedom are removed (upper part that retracts the entire gear, middle part that is dampened against the upper part and third part that hinges around the middle part which carries all wheels with it, and that 4 times for the 747 for example, that's 12 bodies for the gear alone).

For example: several parts of the gear can only move up and down significantly, but not left, right or forward and backwards, rotate around x, y or z which would have been the case for all bodies in the Aerofly FS 1 physics model. The Aerofly FS 2 physics engine simplifies the equasions a lot but they need to be calculated differently. If we were to break a connection like this the end points of the now seperated pars suddenly would need to be calculated independently. We would need to dynamically change the type of the connection, which is possible but isn't "nice" in terms of performance or programming.
    So because we are aiming to be flight, not a crash simulator we left this open for future updates. Its one of the things on our todo list.

Cheers,
    Jan

• Hehe Hiflyer,

don't know but my younger daughter ( a psychologist ), told me the other day people who drink espresso without sugar are more prone to have mental problems :)

Maybe this damage thing could be given to her to examine more in detail :)

Not really a big deal for me not having damage modelled at least as in AEFS1, but if possible in the future I would like it too :)

Edited 3 times, last by jcomm (November 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM).

• I would very appreciate a realistic (stress) damage model.
    Why? Because I'm a PC hobby pilot with no clue about how to fly a real plane and when I do something very bad/wrong, then I want to know this. So I can do it better next time because I learned something.
    Why is this importent? :D Because when I fly in an air plane and suddenly bouth pilots die of heart attack.
    The stewardess asks the passanger:
    "Who can fly a 747?!" - "Here, over there, yes jk1895 can! I flyed it on Aerofly FS2! I bring them all down!" :o

Just kidding (the last part)... :)

• without damage modelling simulation is a joke, no question.

I have a question... why?

In the real world, the whole idea is not to crash in your aircraft, or to damage it. If you do damage it (e.g. hit another aircraft while taxiing, land heavily on a strut) then the aircraft is not airworthy and can't be flown. So, why spend time modelling damage for a sim where avoiding any sort of damage is the very purpose of it?? I'd rather the time be spent on correct flight characteristic modelling, and proper instrument and weather simulation.

• Because it can be didactic.

I use(d) ELITE IFR for my training and in that simulator, with spartan visuals, damage from stress is still displayed in the form of a popup message / alert window stating such things as flaps having been deployed at too high an IAS ( above Vfe ), or gear, or g-stress...

This is important because we can use the simulator and "feel" restricted to operations within limits, while in MS FLIGHT, and now in AEFS2 too, you can do things that a real counterpart of one of the aircraft could never be subject to without damage.

It also affects the flight dynamics modeling and that is something I really don't like. Accelerated stalls aren't happening for instance when you dive well beyond VNE and then fully pull the stick and the aircraft recovers and continues it's flight peacefully....

• flaps having been deployed at too high an IAS ( above Vfe ), or gear, or g-stress...

That's it. This is important. As is damaging undercarriage with heavy landings. We don't need accurate damage modelling when you decide to taxi into a hangar or crash into the ground with a finite ending, but damage sustained in flight which could be flyable should be modelled I think.

I'm not thinking this, it needs to be in real life situations: http://www.wearethemighty.com/wp-content/upl…ssing-wing1.jpg

• I'm not thinking this, it needs to be in real life situations: http://www.wearethemighty.com/wp-content/upl…ssing-wing1.jpg

But stuff like that makes a lot of fun to practise :D If you lose part of your wing you can land it most of the times. Both wings off make it much harder though, luckily Aerofly simulates lift from the fuselage... Just that your minimum velocity keeps increasing the more wing you lost :D