Render Scale Factor - Purpose of setting?

• I can not understand the purpose of this setting? My PC is a fairly basic VR ready setup. The basic RSF of 1.0 showed the graphics detail a bit too fuzzy, I increased the setting to 1.75 and now shows the detail of the cockpit and instruments sharp and clear. However, there is NO difference in sim performance, and it still runs as smooth. What purpose is a a low setting that makes the cockpit instruments look a bit fuzzy? Either your CPU and GPU are fast enough to handle the VR graphics or its not? Clear sharp graphics as in Aerofly are a lot more important in VR mode than monitor mode. I have one other VR game and the graphics in that are terrible, very fuzzy and blurry, you cant go very far without feeling sick! In VR mode keep it clear and sharp as possible.

PC i9-11900K, RTX3090 24GB, 32GB Ram, Gen4 2TB SSD, Oculus Quest 2, Saitek X52

• The render scale factor has a big impact on the performance. If you do not see a difference on your side it can have multiple reasons.

My guess is that your system is not fast enough to achieve the 90 FPS that is considered optimal for VR, so you are running at either 45 FPS only or somewhere in between, this depends on how your VR glasses are configured.

So if you are satisfied with what you have now fine, but keep in mind that for some users the 90 FPS is more important than the slight extra detail in the cockpit, so they prefer to leave the render factor lower to stay at 90 FPS.

• The render scale factor has a big impact on the performance. If you do not see a difference on your side it can have multiple reasons.

My guess is that your system is not fast enough to achieve the 90 FPS that is considered optimal for VR, so you are running at either 45 FPS only or somewhere in between, this depends on how your VR glasses are configured.

So if you are satisfied with what you have now fine, but keep in mind that for some users the 90 FPS is more important than the slight extra detail in the cockpit, so they prefer to leave the render factor lower to stay at 90 FPS.

Thanks. You have certainly given me something to think about. I was not aware that the Rift could be configured for maximum FPS. I will research into this on Oculus forum. All I know was that the Rift and Vive speed test apps gave my PC excellent results. However, I am very happy with the performance, but out of interest I will try this higher FPS, and see how it performs. Update 6.20 pm, I have checked and I can not see any FPS settings with the Rift? I even went through the Oculus Rift setup again, and there is NO mention of any FPS settings? I am missing something here? Can you please explain where I find these FPS settings. I have posted this on the Oculus Rift forum.

PC i9-11900K, RTX3090 24GB, 32GB Ram, Gen4 2TB SSD, Oculus Quest 2, Saitek X52