• I already posted some of this over in the avsim forum, but figured this info could be useful here as well..

As i dive deeper into the world of VR, i figured i'd post some results as I move along.

I've done the same thing for X-Plane 11 in this thread and also for P3D in this thread..

So far the VR experience is best in Aerofly FS2.. Xplane, i cant get the full 3840 res to work without choking the system, so there i run at 2880 and 4x AA, still not bad but not great, while P3D was the sharpest with least shimmering (at the full 3840 res), at least second to Aerofly FS2. But out of the box no tweaking Aerofly FS2 was the best VR experience in town, though at this state not the most complete sim around, but give it time..

First up was actually the newest test I did, i installed the new NYC addon area (to compare with XP11 and P3D's DD NYCX)..
    Running Aerofly Fs2 with the rift and now NYC and it is pretty great.. some shimmering but no where near the level of P3D or Xplane 11 so far.

I had to tone down the settings though, even for my system(see sig) and 1080 card, otherwise i was getting jitter, now its smooth, the 2d screen shows 27-45 fps as i fly near the city in the default cessna.

I had to lower the VR scale to 1.50 instead of 1.8 or so.. i lowered the visual settings too..

Texture = high
    Terrain = high
    Shadow = medium
    Buildings = high
    Trees = high

Pretty sure, anything higher, especially ultra yielded the jitters..

apparently these results arent typical with my setup, which is the 1080 ftw hybrid + 4.7ghz 6700 + 3200mhz ddr4 cas15 ram.. should be more like 90 i think when read from the 2d display

Maximus Hero Z370 | SL Delid 8700k 5.1 1.39| 32GB Gskill 16x2 @1.40 at 3200 | TT 3.0 Riing | Thermaltake v51 | Evga 1080FTW Hybrid Water(43c p3d) | Rift | Leap | CH Yoke/Pedals | P3D v4.1 Aerofly FS2 XP11 |
    Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew

• Here are some more specific test scenarios:

My ram is set to 3200 mhz now (i had it up much higher before but backed it down to do some tests recently), set to stock, i think cas 15... cpu still 4.7
    Video card the 1080 ftw hybrid with evga precision ocx running (stock speeds).

In all situations, i left clouds at what the sim had as default.. basically scattered fair weather clouds..

2D:
    Cessna in the cockpit with fraps as indicator..
    Location: 73.99, 40.74 at 779.30 feet aiming towards statue of liberty direction (i should check the heading). (edit: 252 is the heading)
    Graphic settings all on ultra except shadows Low and screen resolution at 1920x1080
    Fraps rate: 266 (it is anywhere from 200-270 amazingly).
    Had to turn off vsync otherwise it was 60

3D/VR:
    Cessna in the cockpit with fraps as indicator..
    Location: 73.99, 40.74 at 779.30 feet aiming towards statue of liberty direction (i should check the heading). (edit: 252 is the heading)
    Graphic settings all on ultra except shadows Low
    Fraps rate: 27-30
    **i have the scale at 0.40 and render factor at the 2.0
    ***i see jitters when turning the head, pretty good shimmering too.

Other notes:

SteamVR beta software settings:

I'm not sure if all default or not..

Under performance top 3 are checked.. and rest are unchecked except "allow asynchronous reprojection" is checked
    Under developer.. enable always on reprojection is unchecked

Not sure why i see about 1/3 the frame rate with the rift compared to your situation.

I may reboot to my test partition and reinstall and see what happens.. i'm thinking it may be a VR setting conflict outside of the Sim..

***for 2D triple screen testing.. short of enabling surround mode, i'm not sure how to stretch the view across all 3 to generate 5760x1080 resolution.. this can be set on the 3 monitor choices in xplane or stretched in p3d..

Maximus Hero Z370 | SL Delid 8700k 5.1 1.39| 32GB Gskill 16x2 @1.40 at 3200 | TT 3.0 Riing | Thermaltake v51 | Evga 1080FTW Hybrid Water(43c p3d) | Rift | Leap | CH Yoke/Pedals | P3D v4.1 Aerofly FS2 XP11 |
    Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew

• A couple of comments about three screen (non VR) viewing:
    1) A detailed setup comment on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=738066887

2) - OR - I just set the graphics in Aerofly for Windowed Mode instead of 1920x1020 and then stretch it with the mouse - but there is no precision in that - things don't exactly line up - but it's simple and I don't run in Surround mode.

I prefer VR but sometimes fly 3 screens so that others can watch what I'm doing. Aerofly has such great performance (FPS) that it still is quite great with 3 screens.

VR mode:
    You seem to have normally fast 2D performance but quite slow 3D. It should easily be 90fps (it really has to be smooth most all the time)but maybe with quite a bit lower RenderScale Factor - I run at 1.5 or so on my 970. I also use custom graphics settings - window mode, off, custom,high, high, medium, medium, medium. Also, low to medium on cloud density plus visibility near high. Stereo VR should simply halve the FPS in 2D minus some for RenderScale. Of course when you fly at highly detailed cities like San Francisco or New York City, the FPS will go down but as I said, I expect VR to be somewhat better than one third what I get in 2D.

Also, I don't run Steam VR - just straight Oculus Runtimes and I sometimes have to hit CNTL+Numpad_1 to get rid of ASW which I don't like at all.

Dave

• Thanks on the 3 screen notes.. that will be useful.

Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew

• I opted to reinstall things on my test drive and I finally got all 92gb installed on my test drive and wow.. what a difference, full ultra with full shadows plus 2.0 for the render scale and boom.. smoothness central at least when launching oculus vr mode..

the version is showing 2.01 and ea3.66 (i think because i didnt enable betas on this test).. and dated 12/29

Now i am seeing 45 fps in the split view 2d window (is there a way to make that single view?).. i'm guessing if it says 45 and its split view this is 90 fps.. i see no jitter whatsoever, amazing..
    i'm copying this install to my regular drive and running from it tomorrow to see how it goes..
    The install i had, with betas was ea3.68 but dated earlier, 12/27

update: i decided to let it update to ea3.68 like on my other hard drive.. jumped in, i'm seeing the jitters a bit.. i wonder if its related to the later build.. ill be trying the other harddrive with ea3.66 to confirm.

Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew

• Glad you seem to have gotten it worked out!

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• theskyisthelimit99,
    Happy New Year almost (to all FS2 enthusiasts!!),
    I think if you see 45fps, you are getting ASW to kick in. If you want to see it without ASW, hit CNTL+Numpad_1 (check numlock mode) and you should get back to 90fps. To go back to ASW, CNTL+numpad_4. ASW removes jitter on my system but adds back quite a bit of texture warp distortion so I don't prefer it.

• Just revisiting my old thread here.. i had the issue of stuttering/jitters previously.. the old fix was to use an older build of fs2..

I recently wiped my hdd.. no more access to that exe / build.. so everything is current.. once again i'm experiencing this issue.. same settings as before with the older build where i had perfect success..

Wondering if anyone else has ran into this

Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew

• Jitter sounds like slow loading. Given the fact that you have a state of the art PC, I could only suggest to spend 125 euro's on a 250GB SSD for Aerofly.

Actually its already on an 850 evo ssd :)

Here is a more specific example.. take a city say san fran or chicago meigs area.. the 172 aircraft..

By default opening in either steam mode or oculus mode (i have the rift).. going to this area, doing a hard fast turn.. as you turn the buildings stutter.. however, i realized that ASW was not on.. because the frame rate goes from a solid 90 (more sky) to like 60ish with buildings in view.. if i do the number pad 2 + control to turn on asw then the stuttering goes away..

however.. same example fast turn, now the buildings sorta blur as you turn.. it could just be that i never noticed this before .. unsure.

Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew

• Just to be clear here how this works; if your FPS drops below 90 then ASW should kick in. So, if you have ASW turned off you will see some effect from this.

Other factors include to use other (Oculus) VR mode if you have the Oculus Rift so that it uses default Oculus SDK code.

There are other factors that can cause a stutter, even with a powerful computer. Make sure that you have VSync turned off if you are using any VR mode, lower your Render Scale Factor to 1.50 (things changed now that anything over 1.50 could yield some aliasing problems), lower your overall cloud coverage (the current clouds in Aerofly are not our code therefore they aren't optimized the way that we would like, lowering the clouds helps a lot until we can build a replacement to them), make sure that you don't use any further anti-aliasing settings beyond what we provide to you in-game under settings, and make sure that you aren't overclocking your CPU or GPU as that may also yield bad results.

Also to note, when flying over a highly dense area there will always be a loading of the data in the background.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Since when has it been bad to overclock your CPU and GPU in FS 2? Why is that the case? And when did it become a good idea to turn down the render factor to 1.5?

This is new info to me.

I dont think it was mentioned about the cpu overclock? The news of 1.5 on render factor is new to me, ill try that for sure and check the other things too.

Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew

• lower your Render Scale Factor to 1.50 (things changed now that anything over 1.50 could yield some aliasing problems)

This is also totally new to me...?! I will give it a try tonight but I am alsmost sure 1.50 won't look nearly as good as 2.0 does...? Odd news! And I am also surprised to hear an OC is not a good idea... It certainly is for everything else I run on my PC.

• This is just a guide to resolve any problems noted in this thread. All of what I mentioned is from a lot of testing under various scenarios. When we test builds prior to being released to the public we test with clean systems, so we can't guarantee whether or not any particular above factory changes affect Aerofly therefore we always want to insure that the users system having problems is clean as well. Otherwise we can't pinpoint the problem.

As for the RSF setting, we have always said that using RSF can cause performance problems so when problem hunting we need the RSF setting to 1.50 or lower. The reason to say specifically 1.50 is a direct response from Oculus stating that anything above 1.50 is not seen anyway. Also, we have noticed some graphical issues recently when using RSF at 2.00 that we are still sorting out.

To keep it as clean as possible, the above mentioned should be done then tested following to see if it resolves the problems.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• You have always said that the owner of a good machine should crank the RSF up to 2.0. This 1.5 setting maximum is new and hadn't been mentioned before.

But why would overclocking the GPU and CPU lead to problems? There must be a logic to that and it escapes me.

• But why would overclocking the GPU and CPU lead to problems? There must be a logic to that and it escapes me.

This isn't a new rule or anything for Aerofly. There are some aftermarket overclock applications that could cause issues with system resources, also the heat increase that if not handled properly can overheat the CPU and GPU causing graphical anomalies to appear, and anything that is a tweak can generally cause problems if not done correctly. There are many reasons why we like a 'clean' system when troubleshooting.

I've seen people that lost their USB ports because the heat from overclocking the GPU wasn't handled properly and burned up the ports. And that was a 'why is my VR headset not working in Aerofly anymore'

Regards,

Jeff

• The reason to say specifically 1.50 is a direct response from Oculus stating that anything above 1.50 is not seen anyway.

Well, I just tested this and Oculus is utterly wrong. The difference between 1.5 and 2.0 is VERY obvious. It's the difference between not being able to read the V-speed on the Q400 PFD and actually being able to read it. This setting is definitely staying on 2.0 on my PC! (Also because even on 2,0 VR is a pixelated mess imho. 8o)

I do understand the need for lowering settings for troubleshooting though. ;)

There are some aftermarket overclock applications that could cause issues with system resources, also the heat increase that if not handled properly can overheat the CPU and GPU causing graphical anomalies to appear, and anything that is a tweak can generally cause problems if not done correctly.

Correct. That is why I have my CPU overclocked in the BIOS and only after doing a lot of testing I settled for my current OC. I would never ever use an application to overclock my CPU. Everyone who is also OC'ing the proper way can keep on using the OC imho, but again, in case of problems and troubleshooting it may help indeed to remove the OC, at least until the solution for the problem is found.