Robin DR400 steering issue

• Dear IPACS team,

I love the Robin. I used to enjoy that plane in AFS 1 and could not wait flying her in AFS 2, since that's also the family of planes I fly the most IRL.

The flying model is perfectible regarding engine and Dutch roll stability, but for now I'm just happy having her in AFS 2.

Ground steering has however a problem, making it quite unsteerable.
    It has been said previously that the front wheel has a kind of auto-locking system preventing deflection >10° at high speed (reduced weight on front wheel).q

In AeroflyFS steering behaves like the front wheel is always locked. Even with differential braking one hardly can taxi down to the runway and line up.

IRL it happens the front wheel keeps locked after a very soft touchdown and gentle slow down keeping the stick to the belly. One just has to move the stick forward and use the brakes to put more weight to the front wheel and unlock it. In AeroflyFS it doesn't work however.

I thought I was the only one having that bug, but saw some users video showing the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

I take the opportunity of this new thread to wish everyone a Happy New Year. May 2017 be the year of AeroflyFS, with an upcoming SDK enabling third parties to develop add-on sceneries with mesh, ground photo, autogen and procedural 3D. And third parties aircraft designer to start involving themselves in AeroflyFS 2 !

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Antoine,

Happy and Healthy 2017 for you to Antoine!

I don't have the DR-400 installed, but I used it in AEFS1 and noticed very few prop effects on yaw. I remember how much the ball must be kicked in the real thing, on glider tug operations, at full power climbs.... just like in the Socata Rallye... and found this very tame in AEFS... How does it feel in AEFS2 ?

Limited by Main Thread...

• Hi José,
    Thanks for your wishes. The flight behaviour in AFS2 seems not far away from what it was in AFS1.
    I've been flying different Robin models, either 160 or 180 ho. They each behave a little bit different, but the real inaccurate modeling in AFS 2 is the engine/prop behaviour. It was already the case in AFS 1 and reported, but since since AFS 1 was dropped by Ikarus just after release, it has unfortunately never been fixed...

Anyway, as long as the engine modelling doesn't take mixture, magneto, carb heating into account, engine driving in AFS 2 has nothing to do with real flying. Thus, if you manually set gentle throttle settings you can artificially set realistic power output for the current flight sequence and live with it.

But I couldn't overcome yet the ground steering issue...

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Anybody facing the same issue ?
    I tried checking the tmd files and comparing with the C172 where ground steering works fine, but could not figure out why the DR400 is unsteerable...

Cheers
    Antoine

• Ok, I'll try out a couple of things.

Cheers
    Antoine