Soon to be new to aerofly

• Hey guys,

I just want to start off by saying it's great to be on this forum. Since i was a child i can remember my farther playing flight simulators on his old PC. He used to have a joystick which made the experience even better. Since then i haven't really had the time or the motivation to get a computer and play, but now i have.

I need quite a bit of information but i'm feeling i'm in the wright place. First off i need to buy a new desktop computer but i'm not sure where to start. I have $1000 budget but, i want to get a Desktop PC for sale that is able to play any game smoothly without lagging or freezing ect. i have a link below but i don't have a clue on what to buy. And then the main part, where can i download this game? and which one is better, the flight sim or the RC flight sim? I have seen a few videos on YouTube and i love how it is set out but i haven't had the chance to play yet.
    http://www.australia.for-sale.com/desktop-pc

Looking forward to some reply's guys!!

Thanks

Edited once, last by 4ly1n6 (January 10, 2017 at 10:34 AM).

• Hi and welcome from another newbie. I had a friend build me a PC. It is an I5 6600 CPU @ 3.30 GHZ, 16 G RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6G B video card. It runs the game really well. No complInts at all from me. Even in NY I am getting 60 fps, up to 250 fps elsewhere. Hope you have a fast internet because the download is pretty big. ;)

Steam is where I got my game from.

• Well the Aerofly RC is meant for people who want to learn how to fly remote controlled planes from a ground based perspective. Available airplanes are a selection from the RC market, some are models of real world airplanes others only exist in the RC world. The Aerofly RC 7 has couple of sceneries where you can fly behind the plane but those are all fictitious. The rest of the sceneries are photo-spheres where the viewer (rc-pilot) can't move.

The Aerofly FS series on the other hand focusses on full scale aircraft, aircraft that are flown by sitting in them. In the Aerofly FS 2 you fly in real world 3D scenery and you sit in a fully modelled 3D cockpit and click on the individual switches to manipulate them. It contains airliners, general aviation (GA) airplanes and gliders. The Aerofly FS 2 is available for download through the Steam client. That is a free software that you install on your computer that allows you to purchase, download, install and update games from the Steam store.

Concerning your new computer setup:
    - The Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 seems very promising, I would buy that, too.
    - 8 GB of ram should be plenty, I have that too and don't feel like I need more. But more doesn't hurt either.
    - Get a 256 or 512 gb solid state drive (SSD) for your Windows boot drive and install Aerofly on that as well, that will speed up the PC start and also reduce the loading times.
    -If you need extra storage you can manually install a 1 TB hard drive (HDD) later, too. Its not that difficult, open computer case find a free slot and slide the hard drive in, secure it with a few screws, plug in two cables, close the computer casing done.
    -For a processor an Intel i5 should do the job just fine. (I don't know if the latest i5 processors also have hyperthreading... If not then an i7 could be interesting, otherwise its just a lot more expensive for little extra processing power)

I would recommend purchasing a Joystick for the Aerofly FS 2. It doesn't need to be a very expensive one. I have been using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for a long time, so that would be my recommendation.

Cheers,
    Jan

• Thanks you so much for the run down on what i should get for my computer. I am going to do some google searches now and price a build it yourself PC. Then i will have to go to the local computer shop to get someone to put it together but this shouldn't be a problem.

I think i am going for the aerofly FS, this is more my kinda game with the full size planes and switches to get yourself going. After i have done some research i will get back to you!!! thanks guys

• I haven't tried the Aerofly RC sim, but ironically that is what brought me to this game. I have RealFlight basic and it's a really good simulation of RC planes and very enjoyable. It even comes with an RC type controller. I was browsing the Steam sale for a possible upgrade for this when I found FS2, so I ended up buying that instead after seeing the videos and putting 2+2 together and realising that this was 'Project A' on the OrbX forums. I figured if they were coming on board, this sim is going somewhere.

My system specs in my signature would be a decent starting point for a gaming PC, it will handle most things out there and works great with Oculus Rift. I used the Thrustmaster Hotas X joystick for a year when I first got into flight sims and for £30 it's a great piece of kit.
    To start I'd recommend say a 24-27" 1080p monitor depending on space, and you don't need a separate soundcard, use the onboard and upgrade later if you wish (definitely worth it + the best headphones you can afford IMO).

I would also recommend a FFB steering wheel if you intend to play driving sims, it makes a massive difference to immersion. Once you go down the rabbit hole of PC gaming you will be poorer but happier.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• I also vote for the Thrustmaster Hotas X joystick (or maybe the version for the PS4 called HOTAS 4 which has quite a bit less deadzone around neutral - but more expensive) because you get a separate throttle that can be moved as much as about 2 feet from the joystick. They have a POV Hat and 12 or so other buttons to control flaps, gear, elevator trim (real important), and other keyboard control items so if you go to VR, you won't need to see the keyboard. There are other similar units for more money. If you do get the Thrustmaster HOTAS, be sure to get a can of WD-40 PFTE (not the oil) Dry Lube to eliminate the squeaking that starts up after a while on some of the units.

Dave