Very interesting thread on AVSIM, 'Just flew AeroFly FS-2 OMG!'

• Take a look at this thread and the enthusiasm of the the OP. I am sure that he has not yet tried AeroflyFS2 in VR so I am really looking forward to his post when he does😊

http://www.avsim.com/topic/500503-j…fs-2-omg/page-1

4.6GHz OC, Windows 10 home, 16GB RAM, 780 Ti SC 3GB
    Thrust master HOTAS Warthog, Virtual-Fly TQ3, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, 40 inch 4K Philips screen, CV1, P3DV4, Aerofly FS 2 for pc and iPad.

• Yup, I'm in that thread. I get around! ;)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Great to see such enthusiasm for a flight sim. Every game that promotes our hobby is a good one as far as I am concerned. They are all the product of someones hard work and dedication. Like us,everything is subject to ageing especially computer programs. New processes will usually be faster and more efficient than the older versions. While we wait for this fantastic new FS to come up to those high FSX standards try GEFS online for your global tourism. :cool:

• Mitch is almost always very enthusiastic... :)

If I may, I'd like to suggest that Aerofly FS2 should be considered a supplemental sim to your current favorite, to enjoy VFR flight in the current provided areas, and is absolutely worth your time and attention if you enjoy flight. Whether or not with time it becomes ones go to, full time use sim will be up to each individual as development and addon availability continues to grow.

Ken

• Yes, a few posts by Mitch are probably all most developers would need as far as marketing and advertising is concerned. His enthusiasm is great to see in a community that is generally rather critical of any new flight simulator that is less than perfect from day one :rolleyes:

• Yes, a few posts by Mitch are probably all most developers would need as far as marketing and advertising is concerned. His enthusiasm is great to see in a community that is generally rather critical of any new flight simulator that is less than perfect from day one :rolleyes:

Well, SOMEONE has to keep things balanced... :p:cool:

• Mitch is almost always very enthusiastic... :)

If I may, I'd like to suggest that Aerofly FS2 should be considered a supplemental sim to your current favorite, to enjoy VFR flight in the current provided areas, and is absolutely worth your time and attention if you enjoy flight. Whether or not with time it becomes ones go to, full time use sim will be up to each individual as development and addon availability continues to grow.

Yes I agree with your suggestion, it is spot on. Let's all enjoy the current amazing benefits that Aerofly FS2 offers us and support it's further development rather than waiting for it to happen.

4.6GHz OC, Windows 10 home, 16GB RAM, 780 Ti SC 3GB
    Thrust master HOTAS Warthog, Virtual-Fly TQ3, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, 40 inch 4K Philips screen, CV1, P3DV4, Aerofly FS 2 for pc and iPad.

Well, SOMEONE has to keep things balanced...

Don't worry, Jeroen. My comments were not aimed at you :D Your "review" was a factually accurate appraisal of AeroFly FS2 as it stands, and was therefore constructive criticism. However, there are some in the community who prefer to dismiss new ventures like this with hardly a second glance, simply because they don't model at least one airliner down to the last rivet and FMC entry option!

• Don't worry, Jeroen. My comments were not aimed at you :D Your "review" was a factually accurate appraisal of AeroFly FS2 as it stands, and was therefore constructive criticism. However, there are some in the community who prefer to dismiss new ventures like this with hardly a second glance, simply because they don't model at least one airliner down to the last rivet and FMC entry option!

:D

And yes, you are right, it must be very hard and frustrating to get a new sim like this off the ground... For that it is great that Orbx announced support and hopefully more will follow!

• Orbx never announced any kind of support, or you have informations I don't have.
    As far as I could read, JV announced he tried out AeroflyFS 2 and was amazed and he's thinking of making one scenery for AeroflyFS (which is very good news indeed), but not right now (do not expect anything before June, he wrote), which some people in various fora obviously interpretate as Orbx is going to kind of purchase IPACS...
    BTW he had also big plans for XPLANE, but that's another topic.

I'm not sure JV had a deep look yet at the SDK, but out of what is currently available IPACS still has a long way to go before Orbx can start doing something for AeroflyFS.
    That's fully understandable, and I'm sure IPACS is working hard and is already several steps ahead of the currently available SDK.
    But Orbx's approach and development techniques relie on a sound knowledge of the very powerful FSX/P3D SDK and request a robust and clear simulator layer architecture : mesh/landclass/vectors/photos/autogen/classes/regions/seasons.

Fortunately enough IPACS didn't implement landclass, which I hate. But it limits Orbx's current technologies to micro-sceneries, where they do an excellent job, but that only makes sense if these micro-sceneries can be integrated to a high quality flight region, which we are lacking so far. Base photo is excellent where HD, mesh is acceptable, but all the rest is missing yet.

Once again, it's very normal that Base sceneries and the sdk are not yet fully grown-up, it's not the point and I don't know what IPACS have in mind, I really don't want to sound negative, AeroflyFS has a real great potential.

Anyway, I would be very surprised if Orbx come with home-made Aerofly FS products in a near future.

But maybe some people have better information.

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Fortunately enough IPACS didn't implement landclass, which I hate. But it limits Orbx's current technologies to micro-sceneries, where they do an excellent job, but that only makes sense if these micro-sceneries can be integrated to a high quality flight region, which we are lacking so far. Base photo is excellent where HD, mesh is acceptable, but all the rest is missing yet.

I am also VERY happy IPACS didn't implement landclass! And yes, this means that for starters Orbx will look at porting their airports to AFS2 (since they usually are already photoreal). However, JV did post "If we make a 100GB photoreal region with every building, POI, tree placed and airport upgraded" so they are thinking about new AFS2 only products!!! I was kind of afraid they would port their landclass stuff to AFS2, which I would NEVER EVER buy, but if they actually make a region as JV said, I am in!!! Yes, he said 'if' so indeed nothing is certain yet but at least they are thinking in the right direction.

JV also posted this:

"We're supporting AFS2 not because it is a deep system sim with tubeliners/ATC/FMCs and all the hard core stuff. That's not the target market. The market is for the 15-30 minute casual flyer who just wants a great experience and a quick fix. And AFS2 is the best VR experience of any sim, probably of any VR game in the world right now, nothing comes close.

Loading times for AFS2:
    KCGX Meigs Field - 11 seconds
    La Guardia NYC - 25 seconds
    Lugano, SZ - 8.5 seconds "

Note the "We're supporting" part and apparently they already have some airports running in AFS2! As announced we shouldn't expect anything before at least June but I do think that Orbx is definitely and officially supporting AFS2!

PS BTW I do not agree with JV's description of this sim's market: "The market is for the 15-30 minute casual flyer who just wants a great experience and a quick fix." Yes, the sim will appeal to casual flyers but also to simmers, I am very sure.

• BTW I do not agree with JV's description of this sim's market: "The market is for the 15-30 minute casual flyer who just wants a great experience and a quick fix." Yes, the sim will appeal to casual flyers but also to simmers, I am very sure.

I couldn't agree more on that point. There are several long time simmers around the place who can see beyond the not (yet) featured aircraft system and imagine how AeroflyFS could grow up.

I agree AeroflyFS typical market target won't be the hardcore airline simmer used to PMDG or FSLabs, and that's where the lonely high detailed airport without a detailed surrounding flight region hasn't much interest IMO.

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.