Icarus RC Flight Controller

• Hi to you all, I am a new user of Aerofly RC 7 and the ICARUS USB RC flight controller. What I would like to know, is there anyway of having dual rates with this controller?, I have been using Realflight 7.5 and its elite controller has a dual rate switch which really is handy to dull down the controls. I an finding it very twitchy to fly, some of the 3D planes especially. Also if i assign a button to dual rates, say keyboard button 2, it lights up but does nothing, when i put full ailarons in and press the dual rate button i dont see a decreas in flap movement. Any help would be much appreciated

• Hy
    So if you use a normal Transmitter it's no problem to set D/R on the transmitter. in my turnigy 9x i programmed a clean plane modell and used my switches on the transmitter as shown in the pictures. in this case the elevator switch, which set D/R on or off. on set off i have full way of the elevator, if i turn it on - the way will be reduces to 60%.

Using D/R with the USB Icarus Flight controller you have to go to the controller setup in the programm. Use setting "Expert" or "advanced setup" (i don't know which is the right termination in the English menu).
    on the top you will see a D/R area. choose from the dropdown field "keyboard" an than on the button right beside choose a button from the keyboard, you will take for D/R. in my case at the picture it's the button "Q".
    now you have to set up your rates. on the right hand of the setupmenu you will see the entries for "Rate".
    to set yor rates you have to turn on first the Dualrate button by pressing your assigend Button on the keyboard. You will now see, that the D/R is on. So now you kann set your rates for each channel on the right to your prefered value.
    After that you can test it, by pressing your D/R button. the values should change from 100% to your given number. That's it.

Wolfgang

Einst war ich jung, fesch und dynamisch ==> Jetzt bin ich alt, grau und phantastisch - Spitzname: "Der Graue Baron" :p
    Aerofly Professional Deluxe, Aerofly RC 7 Ultimate 7.4.11, Real Flight G5.5

• @errorwollfi. Thanks again for advice, sorry late coming to you for thanks but have been decorating house over weekend. Have successfully been able to use dual rates and understand how to use it. Could you please answer one more question for me if you can. What does the on/off button do on the Ikarus flight controller? When I flick it on it seems to move the elevator a tiny bit to the right, and the helicopter Nick control (don't no what that means) also moves a bit to the right. Can I assign that switch as a button on my controller? say for undercarriage, or cockpit canopy movement. Thanks for any advice
    Dave

• Hy Dave

I don't know the Ikarus USB Flight controller. So if you have a picture of your controller, let me see it. I guess, that there is no on/off button on the controller, but how i said, i don't know this controller.

Wolfgang

Einst war ich jung, fesch und dynamisch ==> Jetzt bin ich alt, grau und phantastisch - Spitzname: "Der Graue Baron" :p

• Hy Dave

as Jürgen explained - i although think, that this ist not a real On/Off Switch, like power on. i think that this is a 7 channel USB Transmitter. so your 4 channels for Rudder, Elevator, Aileron an gas are on the sticks, the "on/off" switch can be used for retract etc. (simple on/off function), the poti above maybe can used as a linear channel etc for canopy open/Close, and the switch on the left (if i'm right) seems to be a 3 Position switch, so you can use it for flaps etc. with 0%, 50% and 100%.
    please let us know, if we're right.

Wolfgang

• Ok, have tested some more with this flight controller. The on of button on the right does nothing in game at all except it seems to move certain surfaces slightly as i mentioned above, although in the instructions for it say leave the MIXER-SWITCH in the off position. The pic above, you uploaded, on my controller shows 6 channels so no working switch on the right. The left switch is a 2 way on/of switch, not 3 way as above, also with the switch on the left it is always flashing in the open direction all the time, it works but keeps flashing, if you have the gear to go up on the flashing up side it will just judder in and out so don;t no whats up with that. This controller is not doing it for me at all. Can you please recommend an alternative radio i can buy to use with this sim as i really like it but just cannot get on with the USB controller, obviously i don't want to spend loads just for the sim but would like one that would work perfect with this sim, say a spectrum, futaba, something current. Also i would need the dongle to use on my PC, so any decent radio outfit and dongle for lets say no more than £100 would be great. I have the real-flight elite stick but the trims do not work with Aerofly so i use that alone for Realflight 7.5. As usual guy's thanks for any advice
    Regards. Dave:

• Hy again

You mentioned in your first post that you have an Elite Flight Controller of RF 7.5. If you have a separate dongle, use the Elite Flight Controller together with the dongle. However, I believe that the dongle is installed in the USB controller. I would try to connect both together to USB and use the Elite Flight Controller as a controller. However, you probably have to calibrate this in the operating system first.

Wolfgang

• I don't have a dongle. could you please just recommend a good transmitter and dongle i can use for Aerofly, just don't like the Ikarus USB controller at all. I would like one of the spectrum's but not sure which one, and if i do get an RC plane i can use that controller with both
    Regards. Dave:

• Hy Dave
    This set: https://shop.ikarus.net/de/aeroflyrc7/…m-u-futaba.html - will be fine. It has the USB-Dongle with the adapter cable for futabe and spectrum included.
    So all you need than is a transmitter, a spectrum dx6, dx7 would be fine too. Both have a 3.5 mm jack socket as a trainer output, where you can connect the adapter cable.
    But of course it is a question of the price you want to spend.

Wolfgang

• Just remembered,when i got Realflight 7.5 it came with these 2 cables, i am not in anyway up on RC, thats why i have these flight sims so i apologize for asking you these questions. Would the cable with the 3.5 jack work in a spec radio, i think one cable goes into the elite controller and then you connect the 3.5 jack into a Spectrum radio. Is this right,does that make sense to you Wolfgang

Dave:

• Hy dave

are these two seperate cables? or is it one cable. If it is one cable, it maybe looks good, because there is a Mono 3.5 mm plug on one side, which will go in the spektrum transmitter. the other end of the cable with the 3.5 mm jacket must be connected with the cable, which comes from the dongle. so from the distance, i would believe, it could work.

Wolfgang

• Everything is clear now. But there is no guarantee that it will work. The square plug must fit into the Elite Flite Controller. The 3.5 mm socket must then be connected with the cable that comes from the dongle. Then everything should work. In any case you should calibrate everything in the operating system before.
    Let it know if it works.

Wolfgang

• Hi...i am a new user here. As per my observation if you are flying DSMX and someone within about a mile has an Icarus device, they can lock you out and take over control of your drone. That's pretty scary stuff for the average hobbyist, but it could turn out to be a great for keeping drones away from sensitive locations. Check out the video below to see Icarus in action.

turnkey pcb

Edited once, last by LulaNord (September 29, 2017 at 10:41 PM).