I've heard some of you want a notepad or webpage shown in vr?

• Just for the ones that dont read the steam discussions
    If i can help you with something just ask here

First off you need to run steamvr for this to work no matter if you got a vive or rift. You will probably loose a little bit performance using the rift with steamvr but this is worth it, maybe reduce SS a little bit.

Download openvrdesktopDisplayPortal from https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVR…Portal/releases .
    Just unpack it whereever you like.

Now start Aerofly FS2 with steamvr and start openvrdesktopDisplayPortal. Then select the window you want to see in vr in the upper left corner ( it can be anything you want chrome, notepad,vlc..).

If you start it the first time you will see your window right in front of you following your headmovement but you can change this in the lower left corner, just set it to world to have it in a fixed position.
    To adjust the scale just adjust the window on your desktop and to move it in vr space ajust the slider in the program or even better use your motion controllers to grab it and lay it on the copilot seat when youre done.

To write something while in vr just hover over the window with your controller and it will get focus,now you can just use your keyboard to write. To controll your plane again press alt-tab once youre done. If you dont have motion controllers i guess alt-tab should work both ways.

There is no vr keyboard or something, if you cant write blind with your keyboard you will have to wait for V ( hellov.io ) which has a build in keyboard for use in vr.

I bet there is more to this programm but ive only used it for about an hour but if you got any questions feel free to ask.

ps. This is the first time im writing something like a tutorial and english isnt my main language so pls have mercy lul

• k4stn,
    WOW - this is a beginning for having a Windows window in the cockpit! I quickly tried it with Notepad and it worked fine. I need to read more about it - I couldn't seem to get a Chrome Web Browser window to work.
    Thanks for pointing this out to us. As more try it, we will develop an easier means to use it.

Thanks much!

• Oh yeah i forgot to say if you want to use chrome:
    open chrome, go into the settings, scroll down and click advanced settings, scroll down to system and uncheck the box for hardware acceleration.

Ive got a twitch stream running on the top left penal in the f18 scaled and placed perfectly where the green screen would be. The game and the stream run butter smooth on ultra with 2.0 SS. The performance of this game is just incredible.

You can save different screen setups for every plane or if you just want to use it quick pin it to your controller and use it like an ipad.

Im glad i could help :)
    Its a bit tricky to use but its a start and maybe some day we will get something like this implemented

• k4stn,
    I'm not sure which way is better yet but instead of turning off hardware accel in Chrome, I just changed from GDI Direct to GDI Indirect to get the SkyVector.com page to show. What I want to be able to do is assign buttons that are unused by Aerofly FS2 to do some things to the Portal window like enable/disable, move left/right/in/out/etc, pan left/right (with control of the window focus??) and maybe zoom in/out. I need to read the instructions still but WOW, it still is very helpful to those that wanted to see an external page. Amazing what smart people can do!

Thanks again

Dave

• Any chance of a screenshot showing the vr desktop portal settings you are using? I've been playing around for ages, but can't relocate the portal onto the passenger seat as I'd like. Also I keep getting the screen blanking/greying out and FS2 didn't exit properly just now, needing a PC reboot - I'm using Rift in steam mode.

As for good ways of interacting with the portal, rather than Alt-Tab my suggestion is voice with voicebot mappings

• I don't think i've changed anything in the settings besides changing screen to world in the lower left corner.
    I don't know if these coordinates will work for you because i placed and scaled it with my touch controllers in vr but if they work you should see the window in the f-18 screen.
    If you have touch try setting it to left or right controller and it should stick to your controller.

I'm fine with alt-tab since i have my keyboard on my lap anyways but voice seems to be a good alternative yes

I havent found any bugs like graying out or anything for now, i dont really know how to help you there sorry

EDIT:
    This should answer all questions https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVR…arance-settings

• Success !!

This is what I now have if I look across to the co-pilot's seat (simulated as I couldn't get screen capture to grab both layers)

The way I did it is this:
    1. Launch OpenVR desktop as above
    2. Open Chrome and disable hardware acceleration in settings
    3. I'm using Google Docs to write notes, and I then View in Presentation mode to hide all browser bars etc
    4. Set up the openvr desktop with the settings as shown below.
    a) World setting
    b) Display the Chrome window called "Flight Planning Slides"
    c) Some frame crop (500,-500) to hide the black borders from Chrome presentation mode.
    d) The bottom left settings position the window to my right (saved as a config called "co-pilot")
    e) I reduce refresh to 1fps to minimise load