Familiarization Flight - 737-500 - TO Climb Speed Run Descent ILS to landing

• Well, I broke down and spent the day flying the B737-500. Decided to write it down and snapped a few screenshots. It can be flown as is until Jan does his magic.

Pretty rough document, not checked very well but might be fun for some.

Regards,

Ray

• Nice tutorial, even if you don't want to call it that. ;) It's been ages since I flew a Boeing so this is very helpful and I will do this flight the coming weekend!

BTW You do know you don't need to go to the Location page to select your departure airport and to place your plane there? This can all be done on the NAV page. But maybe there is a specific reason why you use the Location page for that.

• Nice tutorial, even if you don't want to call it that. ;) It's been ages since I flew a Boeing so this is very helpful and I will do this flight the coming weekend!

BTW You do know you don't need to go to the Location page to select your departure airport and to place your plane there? This can all be done on the NAV page. But maybe there is a specific reason why you use the Location page for that.

Hello,

Yes, I do know that. I mentioned that is why I wanted to show there are alternate methods for most everything, but thanks for pointing that out. The Boing is a bit more work intensive, for sure, but it does respond to those particular commands and it is fun to fly.

Regards,

Ray

• Oh boy, my goodness, I took some time to do this flight but seriously, that planner needs a search option. It took me 'ages' to replicate the rather simple and basic plan!!! It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to see and find those intersections! Even the VORs can hardly be seen! Really, creating this plan should have taken me a minute at most but it took me about 15 minutes. This SERIOUSLY needs to be improved.

Now I will see if I can find the time to actually do the flight LOL

• Oh boy, my goodness, I took some time to do this flight but seriously, that planner needs a search option. It took me 'ages' to replicate the rather simple and basic plan!!! It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to see and find those intersections! Even the VORs can hardly be seen! Really, creating this plan should have taken me a minute at most but it took me about 15 minutes. This SERIOUSLY needs to be improved.

Now I will see if I can find the time to actually do the flight LOL

Yep, a search option would be a good improvement, but looking at the plotted plan with the known name should narrow down the intersection choices to two or three at the most. It is certainly an unknown area to most people, unless you happen to be an Oakland Raider fan - none around here that I know. ha.

Only the IAF intersection is critical to the path, all the others just form the shape and length of the legs. Like I said,it is not a tutorial, just a familiarization flight.

Regards,

Ray

• Well, that turned out to be a disaster... The plane didn't react too well to the LVLCHG, specially when I lowered my speed to 240: it leveled the plane at that point and it just stayed up there and I couldn't get it down. So in the end I decided to cheat and changed the altitude using the Location page but well, that resulted in all AP systems being turned off... and a second attempt to lower my altitude (because I also got stuck on the first lowered alt) resulted in a severe pitch up... Long story short: I will have to redo the flight another time. ;) I didn't even make it to the ILS part.

• Well, that turned out to be a disaster... The plane didn't react too well to the LVLCHG, specially when I lowered my speed to 240: it leveled the plane at that point and it just stayed up there and I couldn't get it down. So in the end I decided to cheat and changed the altitude using the Location page but well, that resulted in all AP systems being turned off... and a second attempt to lower my altitude (because I also got stuck on the first lowered alt) resulted in a severe pitch up... Long story short: I will have to redo the flight another time. ;) I didn't even make it to the ILS part.

You kamikaze pilot ;)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

Speed is critical to LCH working properly. On my flight I lowered the speed to 240 k as I approached 10,000 ft, otherwise you would use V/S for the descent and dial in whatever speed you desired.

Regards,

Ray

• You kamikaze pilot ;)

LOL

Speed is critical to LCH working properly. On my flight I lowered the speed to 240 k as I approached 10,000 ft, otherwise you would use V/S for the descent and dial in whatever speed you desired.

Regards,

Ray

Gave it a second try and this time it all went flawlessly! Turned out I simply started my descent too late the first time (since I had no clue what my distance to SGD was). This time I used the HUD (in VR) to kinda guess when I had to descent. I followed the instructions to the letter and had a fine landing. Nice being able to fly another plane too! So thanks again for the familiarization flight! I had no clue what speeds I would have to use for the various stages of flight but now I do and I will certainly fly this plane more often!

• LOL

Gave it a second try and this time it all went flawlessly! Turned out I simply started my descent too late the first time (since I had no clue what my distance to SGD was). This time I used the HUD (in VR) to kinda guess when I had to descent. I followed the instructions to the letter and had a fine landing. Nice being able to fly another plane too! So thanks again for the familiarization flight! I had no clue what speeds I would have to use for the various stages of flight but now I do and I will certainly fly this plane more often!

Excellent. Thanks. I forgot you were flying VR. Did you see any updates to the HUD with todays update?

Regards,

Ray

• Speed is critical to LCH working properly. On my flight I lowered the speed to 240 k as I approached 10,000 ft, otherwise you would use V/S for the descent and dial in whatever speed you desired.

You can expect that to behave differently when the autopilot is updated. FLC will then start to climb or descent right away at a shallow angle even if throttles are not advanced or retarded right away.

• Excellent. Thanks. I forgot you were flying VR. Did you see any updates to the HUD with todays update?

Regards,

Ray

No, I didn't see any differences but I have to add I only look at the navigation display of the HUD and not the primary flight display, which is the one that has been updated afaik. And I only look at it as briefly as possible because it kills the immersion a little. ;)

Flying in VR rocks but it's quite hard when you are trying to do a printed 'tutorial'. ;) I obviously want to take off my Rift as little as possible so I try to memorize as much steps as possible but well, that didn't work out too well the first time. But after the second flight I already have a lot of the numbers in my head so the next flight I will do 'out of my head'.

• You can expect that to behave differently when the autopilot is updated. FLC will then start to climb or descent right away at a shallow angle even if throttles are not advanced or retarded right away.

Jan,

Doesn't the A/T work in the 737 now? FLC works, just speed dependent and does a little dipsy-do every now and then but, as a whole, it works OK. If I want instant altitude change I usually go for the V/S mode anyway. I like to see the rapid rate of climb increase when moving from V/S to FLC if I have a real climb or descent.

Regards,
    Ray