Broadcast plane position to Foreflight

• With today's update IPACs has added the ability to broadcast the plane position over LAN/internet to aviation apps including Foreflight. In the Misc. settings there are now options for "Broadcast IP address" and "Broadcast Port". I'm wondering if anyone knows how to set this up. Should I be entering the IP address of my PC or Router/Network? Also where am I configuring the Port?

Thanks in advance,
    Geoff

• Geoff,

suppose your PC running Aerofly FS 2 and your iPhone, iPad or Android devices are in the 'same' network, then you proceed as follows:

- Find out the IP address of your PC, let say its 192.168.1.100
    - Find out the IP address of your iPhone, iPad or Android device. The first 3 numbers should be the same as the PC, lets say 192.168.1.101
    - Then for the broadcast IP address in Aerofly enter 192.168.1.255 and leave the port at 49002.

The port 49002 is not something we have chosen, its a port apps like ForeFlight are listening to.

Of course ensure you local firewall settings allow Aerofly FS 2 to send data over port 49002

• Simply set the IP address as what the PC running FS 2 is set for , then add 255 as the last number. You can check this by going to command prompt (CMD) and type : ipconfig /all . You will see your IP address (example 192.168.2.220), so you enter 192.168.002.255 in the IP box. Make sure you turn on broadcasting. Now in the app(ForeFlight) find the "more" tab at the bottom, find devices and a FS 2 box should show if everything is set up properly.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Ok. So I am using Foreflight on my IPad. I just leave the Broadcast IP address and Broadcast Port to the numbers that were already there? What do I need my IPad and PC IP address' for?

Geoff

The ipad only must be on the same local network as the PC running FS 2

You don't need to change your PC IP address either.

The only thing you need to do is check what IP address you are using on your PC and set the IP address in the IP box (settings/misc) to that range and .255 as the last numbers.

Let's say, your PC IP address is 192.168.2.219, and your iPad is connected to the same internet you are using for your PC, you just set the IP in FS 2 to 192.168.002.255

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Ok so. My IPad and Pc are on the same network. Ipconfig lists my IPv4 address as 192.168.2.xxx and I replace the last values with .255 giving 192.168.002.255 andbroadcast is turned on. My firewall has Aerofly FS 2 open to all ports but I still get nothing in Foreflight under devices.

Do you have any suggestions?

Edit: So if I exit Aerofly it connects to Foreflight briefly and then disappears obviously.

• Ok so. My IPad and Pc are on the same network. Ipconfig lists my IPv4 address as 192.168.2.xxx and I replace the last values with .255 giving 192.168.002.255 andbroadcast is turned on. My firewall has Aerofly FS 2 open to all ports but I still get nothing in Foreflight under devices.

Do you have any suggestions?

That should do it. start FS 2 , and open up ForeFlight, go to the tab "more" on bottom right of screen, then click on Devices to check to see if FS 2 is connected. It should now broadcast live flight information and show your aircraft on the map of ForeFlight. A cool hint, you could track your aircraft over a sectional chart if you would like :)

Regards,

Jeff

• So it's working now. Thank you so much for the help.

My two favorite aircraft are the King Air and Learjet and with the new functionality of the Learjet, this sim is getting even better.
    I can't wait to see what's next.

Geoff

Geoff,

glad that you got it working ! Each update Aerofly FS 2 will get better and better. Enjoy.

Jeff

Regards,

Jeff

• Do I understand correctly that Foreflight requires a paid subscription but gives a 30 day free trial? Is there a less capable freeware moving map that would also connect up to FS2? Wouldn't it be nice to see the Foreflight screen inside VR - maybe using that OPenVRDesktopDisplayPortal app with SteamVR?

• The developers might know which other ones work. Iflightplanner and Skydemon are the ones listed in the update announcement so maybe they work without subscriptions but I've never tried them.

I think Foreflight may work in a basic form without subscription but I can't test it since I can't deactivate mine to test it.

• ForeFlight was tested and works well with FS 2. ForeFlight is free but will add more functionality for a paid subscription. I've tested both iflightplanner and Skydemon and they both also work well with FS 2.

We are going through a few other apps to see what works and what doesn't.

Regards,

Jeff

• I'm trying to use Avare (Android) and it works with the External IO plugin module in GPS Sim mode but not with Xplane mode. I tried following the manual but maybe I missed something. I know that FS2 was transmitting fine because I had Foreflight running just fine at the same time on my Iphone.

• Do you see constant (maybe once a second) printouts of the FS2 data on just the External IO Plugin display page? Once in a long while (many seconds) I get a single printout. Maybe there is some kind of settings to get that to happen. It does say that it is connected to Xplane but I don't see any frequent printouts and the app Avare isn't updated. Maybe a Barnes and Noble Nook isn't a good Android choice - too old version?