About the Robinson R22

• I know this question comes up every month or so but i'm craving a helicopter for VR.

I know i know it's done when it's done and i understand that if you rush this everyone will just go crazy because of bugs and stuff but you've said in an interview 8 months ago that there is an almost finished model and we might get a preliminary version. Isn't the sdk a perfect place for something like this? I mean you've allready done it with the dr400.

But i guess chances are low that this will happen so could someone please tell if there is at least someone working on the R22 (or any other helicopter) or was it completely pushed on hold for other things like atc, ai etc.? I don't want to wait another 8 months just to realize it will never happen.

Please dont make me spend 50€ on an DCS helicopter where i need to read 5 books just for takeoff:(

• I know this question comes up every month or so but i'm craving a helicopter for VR.

I know i know it's done when it's done and i understand that if you rush this everyone will just go crazy because of bugs and stuff but you've said in an interview 8 months ago that there is an almost finished model and we might get a preliminary version. Isn't the sdk a perfect place for something like this? I mean you've allready done it with the dr400.

But i guess chances are low that this will happen so could someone please tell if there is at least someone working on the R22 (or any other helicopter) or was it completely pushed on hold for other things like atc, ai etc.? I don't want to wait another 8 months just to realize it will never happen.

Please dont make me spend 50€ on an DCS helicopter where i need to read 5 books just for takeoff:(

I would bet it is in the final stages, maybe even in the paint shop for pin stripes. It wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with a business helicopter and the R-22 beta. Now would that blow your skirt up, or what?

Regards

Ray

• The aerodynamics of a rotor blade are physically the same as airplane wings. And because the Aerofly FS 2 has a full rigidbody simulation all the rotor's behavior is already implemented as well (inertia, gyroscopic effects,...). There are only few things that need to be taken care of, e.g. like the hovering state in ground effect, transitional lift or vortex ring state. The rest of the "helicopter" physics is already natively implemented into the Aerofly FS 2 engine. And the R22 is already flying quite well, it just needs a bit of fine tuning and the mentioned extensions of the physics. But those physics extensions are what is mainly holding helicopters up right now. There are features that are more important to a larger portion of the users that are currently being prioritized - we need to orient ourselves to the market here a bit. Might be pushed in between, though.

• Well i got to say it hurts a bit hearing it flys quite well but we can't have it, but i understand that the atc and other things are more important right now. I think the reason not many are screaming for helos is that people who are into helos haven't bought the game in the first place since there are no real hints that they are coming any time soon.

This is without a question the best vr flightsim we got right now and i think helos would make this even greater, i mean if you want to fly a helo in vr right now the only option is to buy a 50€ dlc for dcs and everyone whos willing to do that would intantly buy your game instead if it had one.

Anyways
    Thanks for the answer jet-pack, at least it makes my decision easier to buy in dcs.

Btw any dcs pilots here? What should i get if i'm just in for flying and don't give a .... about weapons and mission?

• Helos would be nice, but I'm not sure Aerofly has enough detailed low level scenery to support it yet. Probably would be a lot more attractive option after Orbx has a go at things.........

Or they could go back and add detailed heliports to New York........

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I think NYC, San Francisco and the Alps would be enough to keep us busy for a long time and adding it in the sdk would mean nobody can complain if something is not working. Don't get me wrong i really love what you guys made here and i don't want to sound ungratefull for all the updates but can't we just have an alpha version?

Sorry that i sound like a little kid who want his new toy :rolleyes:
    I'll wait for the next dcs sale anyways, maybe something happens in the meantime

• Extensive internal testing is done prior to anything being released to the public, this I assure you. If an update ready to be released to the public has many new complex features, it gets released to beta first prior to the standard channel. The beta is where the public tests the build further to find any bugs or issues, then that build gets moved to the standard channel once it's clean. This is in fact a three step process.

More regions will be released as development continues as there is a team specifically dedicated to making regions/airports pretty much separate from the core development team; so those DPC's don't slow down progress.

Jeff

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Well i got to say it hurts a bit hearing it flys quite well but we can't have it, but i understand that the atc and other things are more important right now. I think the reason not many are screaming for helos is that people who are into helos haven't bought the game in the first place since there are no real hints that they are coming any time soon.

This is without a question the best vr flightsim we got right now and i think helos would make this even greater, i mean if you want to fly a helo in vr right now the only option is to buy a 50€ dlc for dcs and everyone whos willing to do that would intantly buy your game instead if it had one.

Anyways
    Thanks for the answer jet-pack, at least it makes my decision easier to buy in dcs.

Btw any dcs pilots here? What should i get if i'm just in for flying and don't give a .... about weapons and mission?

The UH-1H or the Mi-8, the Ka-50 being purely a gun platform ( and, just as you I use DCS and IL2 just for the flight dynamics ).

IMO, don't spend your money in the Gazelle, at least until they fix the various problems with it's flight dynamics.

Limited by Main Thread...

• I'd love and would happily cough up for a nice helicopter. It is vital not to 100% spoil it by making it easy. First time in a chopper should appear to be insanely difficult. Every control input should be followed by several destabilising unwanted responses and it should eagerly seek to go totally out of control.
    A dumbed down beginner OPTION might make sense.

• drhotwing1, is there any place i can find infos about whats new in the beta version?

The UH-1H or the Mi-8, the Ka-50 being purely a gun platform ( and, just as you I use DCS and IL2 just for the flight dynamics ).

IMO, don't spend your money in the Gazelle, at least until they fix the various problems with it's flight dynamics.

Its a shame there are so much problems with the gazelle since i was looking for something small and nimble. I guess i'll go with the UH-1H.

• drhotwing1, is there any place i can find infos about whats new in the beta version?

Its a shame there are so much problems with the gazelle since i was looking for something small and nimble. I guess i'll go with the UH-1H.

Go onto the Steam Store Page. The new update released is Aerofly FS 2 Update Version 2.0.1EA3.76

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thats the new "stable" version, i meant where do i find out if something has changed on the beta channel

The beta channel IS the latest version released to the public. The public opts into beta to assist in finding bugs in the release. Once the beta build is stable enough it gets moved over to the standard channel. There is extensive internal testing done even prior to beta but beta is in fact the first public release of updates.

Jeff

Regards,

Jeff

• The UH-1H or the Mi-8, the Ka-50 being purely a gun platform ( and, just as you I use DCS and IL2 just for the flight dynamics ).

I'm curious as to why you think the Gazelle flight model is wrong? I have 2,000+ hours on it and it flys pretty much as the real thing. Do tell.

It would be a good choice. It is pretty much spot on.

Flying helicopters is not easy. If it was everyone could do it.

Those that complain about it have never flown a real helicopter. The Gazelle is a dream to fly. Responsive, fast and agile. As it is in real life. Known as the Ferrari of helicopters.

You won't master it in 20 minutes, but once you tame it, such fun.

I have 2,000+ hours on type, not counted it up exactly, but I could fly it first time out with no problems.

Like anything worthwhile, it takes time.