Flight Position Tablet App

• Since the update from today allows to broadcast the flight position over LAN I wanted to know if there are alternatives to the tablet apps ForeFlight, iFlightPlaner and Sky Demon. The subscriptions for these apps are very hight just for plotting flight sim positions.

Do you know some free (or opensource frameworks) or cheap apps to show the flight position on a tablet?

• Just out of curiosity: what would be the use of using these apps with AFS2? Not that I can, because I am using a Rift, but I am just curious. ;)

• It is nice having SkyVector open on an iPad, the entered route can be open and an approach plate can be shown as an insert. It is great using the SkyVector map to follow the chosen track, monitor flight progress and identify many otherwise missable landmarks. The New York scenery is full of gems that are depicted on the local New York map, an example is the railway yards inland of the Coney Island park.

• Just out of curiosity: what would be the use of using these apps with AFS2? Not that I can, because I am using a Rift, but I am just curious. ;)

One very good reason for connecting one's real flight app to a sim is practising. You can safely test any feature, check new releases, try different settings, practice gestures, keep up-to-date with your app in real life conditions without endangering anybody.

In real flight, I like to keep actions on my iPad mini to the minimum level, no need to search, no need to monopolise mental resources trying to figure out how to handle this new feature, etc.

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.