Can we hope for manually tunable nav frequencies in big planes in the near future?

• I hope it can be possible to manually set a vor/ils freq in the A320 soon.
    It would be nice to do this if i want to leave the flightplan and fly to an alternate airport.
    This is done in the real A320 via the mcdu rad/nav page or via one of the rmp panels pushing the nav button and inserting a freq.

Jan do you think this is "easily" doable, or does it require major work?

• Jan may wish to speak on this a bit more detailed but in general, more functionality will be added as development continues.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hi,

it's not easy because we don't have a scratchpad implemented yet or a variable that can parse a string input into a frequency. Once we have that, sure. I expect that the RAD/NAV page of the MCDU would be one of the first pages to be implemented. Right now we are doing the autoflight system but I wouldn't mind implementing the basics of the FMCs next. But we will see what comes up next. Would be nice if we could finish electric systems, too (APU and generators, etc.) and if we had a fully functioning fuel system with payload and fuel cut off for the engines. So there is a lot to do, I can't promise anything in terms of deadline though...

Cheers,
    Jan

• Thank you Jan for updating us!
    seems to be a lot of work to get the rad/nav page working.
    Would it be the same to get the nav button on the rmp's active and inserting a freq there?

I understand fully if this is not your highest priority right now as you are very busy working on autopilot functions.

Looking forward to your next update :D

• Would it be the same to get the nav button on the rmp's active and inserting a freq there?

What exactly do you mean? Which nav button? (RMU / RMPs are already working in the LJ45 and C90GTX?!)

We could use the radio managedment system from the Learjet and C90 to construct a temporary "rad/nav" page on the mcdu but we don't will would need to change that sooner or later anyway, so all time we spend on creating a temporary fix is just wasted effort. We need to create a good way to support custom FMC layouts first. We have some sort of template pages in mind since all pages pretty much look the same. Just more or less lines, other colors and font sizes but all text is constant width and very "blocky" and the individual pages are not as "creative" as the designs of the PFDs for example.

Cheers,
    Jan

• There are 2 RMP radio management panels on the pedestal, those panels you normally tune vhf com freq.
    The bottom line of switches are marked standby, it is i tended for a backup metod to tune nav frequenzes in case both mcdu's are faulty.
    If the left button(nav) below the plastic guard is pushed, then one of the other buttons can be selected(vor, ils, ndb).

Lets say vor is selected, a vor freq can be dialed in the stby window(where normally you dial a com freq), then push transfer and the freq is transferred to the actice window. Then a C (for course) appears in the stby window and you can dial in the vor course :D

This might be very complicated to make it work, so i dont expect you to implement this soon :p

Thanks

• If this is possible could a CDU NDB selection be made available in the 737, if the direct entry nav radio selection is restored to the way it was before the copilot/route upgrade? (Jan I wasn't aware of a manual ILS problem at that stage, it might have had some 'auto flight-ILS' issue but I would not have been interested it that sort of thing).

It is encouraging to see so many users seriously interested in manual navaid use in big jets, I was frustrated to see Aero going backwards and reducing it rather than improving it, sorry copilot flights through mountains and random frequency hopping to doctored airports is no compensation.

I have been beta helping for years and have just about every Aero FS type product available so I'm well committed to seeing Aero succeed.

• On the other hand, I'm concerned Aerofly FS2 doesn't gradually get drawn down the rabbit hole of becoming an acronym-heavy button fest of interest only to a relatively narrow audiences, since that ground has already been covered multiple times. I'm hoping Ipacs will remember to reach for broader penetration than that.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Hi,
    ahh now I know what you mean. Yes we have thought about adding that. It's only used as a backup system in the real aircraft though. I am guessing nobody ever uses that in a daily routine. But even if you had those it would be annoying to manually add the frequencies, wouldn't it? I would prefere if the autotuning would be expanded so that it tunes the ILS when you selected the final approach from the location dialog. In all aircraft that have ILS. Click on approach, there is your ILS ready to go.
    Cheers,
    Jan

• It is not annoying to do what is a normal and integral part of flying an aeroplane and navigating it using the equipment on board. It is routine to quickly take bearings and distances from off route beacons. Look at an average instrument approach chart for mandatory examples.
    The Aero favoured method of putting everything(!) into a 'navigation route' will not do! The reason that this direct nav-aid selection ability has been available in sims since Microsoft Flight Sim 3 from about 1990 is that it is not only essential but obviously sensible.

When has anyone last succeeded in doing the nice localiser approach into Buchanan runway 19 using the cute and easy and automated 'navigation' page process? It used to be my favourite, having to match height, distance, ground speed and rate of descent is highly desirable, simulating the complexities of flying is actually entertaining. It is an offset approach and does not match the beginner friendly Aero auto path and has been inhibited for many months.

Is making nav frequency entry not easier than denying it?

• I think the A320 aircraft is the most difficult one to implement this because it does not have dedicated nav freq panels.

I am sure it will be included at some point but the developers have their priority list so we just have to give them time :)

Maybe a "generic" nav freq selector with course as a pop up panel can be made, but it might be a huge job also and waste of time?

• Yes but, "same issue as the A320", we would need to implement a NAV/RAD page for the B747 as well. And the 737 comes right after that... (not to forget the A380, Q400,...). I think that we will implement those RAD/NAV pages for sure, but I am not eager to do it twice, especially if I know the first temporary solution, will be discarted sooner or later. The intention is to create a more permanent and customizable solution here that is good enough to handle Add-On quality aircraft for example.

So please be patient, we need to get a prototype FMC/MCDU working first, then if we know how we can efficiently customize the FMC/MCDU object for the individual aircaft we will add the radio navigation pages in all of the airplanes that have one.