Would a free roam camera be possible?

• Just wondering if anybody who has taken a look at the underlying code knows if a free roam camera would be possible? Being able to walk around the airplanes in VR exterior/interior would be incredible as well as the detailed airports.
    I stood up from the jump seat today in the 737 and walked through the cockpit door into the cabin by mistake and can't stop thinking about it now. Haha.

• Hahahah if that really happened that is hilarious!
    You can enter the developer mode by editing the main.mcf file. Then you have a free camera but I don' think it will respond to VR movements but it's worth trying. Go to "C:\Users\...\Documents\Aerofly FS 2" and edit the main.mcf with a unicode capable text editor (e.g. wordpad or Notepad++). Scroll down until you see a developer option, set that to true. Then start the sim and select the previous cockpit camera (the one before the typical pilot view). That should be the developer camera that you can move around with the usual view forward backward commands (I have mine on arrow keys)

• Thanks for the response. I finally got to try it and while the camera view exists in developer mode, I can't seem to get any key bindings to move the camera. This is in 2D mode by the way. I have tried binding the forward/back/left/right keys to different assignments but only the arrow keys move the camera up/down and side to side just as the mouse does but no other keys are effective.

• Are the move commands possibly bound to something by default or am I missing something. All the other cameras you can bind the move commands to any key without issue so it just seems the developer camera is the exception. Thanks in advance.

• That's strange. My arrow keys are bound to look by default or the same thing my mouse does. I can't bind them to anything else. All they do is look left/right/up/down.

That is only in the developer camera. I have them bound to move same as you in the other interior cameras.

• So no matter what I bind the move commands to, I cannot move the view in the dev. camera. The move controls work for every interior camera. I have unbound the pan controls and it makes no difference. I even tried removing the main.mcf file so a new one is created but that makes no difference.
    I am using the beta build if that has anything to do with it.

Sorry for taking up your time. If you have no more ideas then I'll stop bothering you so you can answer important questions.Haha.

Geoff

• Hi Geoff:

What is your VR device, Oculus or Vive? I ask you this, because I think I have read that the Vive provides greater mobility in the vision inside the plane, even, almost going out, contemplating the flight from the plane itself. Is this true?

Regards: Delfin

• Hi Delfin.

I have an Oculus rift. I'm not sure about the Vive but I assume it would be similar to the Rift in that I can walk through walls essentially and can get outside the plane but the distance I can move is limited to my room size. That's why I was hoping to be able to bind movement commands and simulate walking around the plane for more immersion.

Geoff

• I am interested in this topic as well. I am trying to develop scenery so I need to add objects and inspect them in the actual simulation but so far the only approach is to fly slowly around in the DR400 - not a great process. I need to start at a lonlat location and move/pan around without limits - how did the devs do it since there is no SLEW mode as there is in FSX/Prepar3D - and I don't want the sim looking for crash (object collision) detection

• I assume there must be a way to move around in that view or there wouldn't be much point in having it. I thought Maybe I could set the move commands to an axis similar to slew in FSX like you said but to no avail. Hopefully someone might have a suggestion. It would be great for you to be able to move around your environments and see them from different angles.

• I can just speak for my installation. I have the move commands hooked up to the arrow keys and I can use them in both versions: the default beta Aerofly FS 2 steam version and my own developer version. I have no idea why is not working for you if you have assigned the key right. Maybe check that your key isn't used anywhere else but I thought it would unbind that key automatically from other functions. Not sure though

• Are you trying to "walk around" with bound keys in VR by any chance? Because in VR I believe the look and move bindings become disabled as in VR you look around by actual head movement. For example; I have look functions bound to my right thumb stick on my controller which works just fine when in 2D mode, but when in VR the right thumb becomes disabled. I believe move functions to act the same way in VR.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hi guys. For me I can't use the keys I have bound to move whether I'm in VR mode or monitor mode. Perhaps just having the Oculus software or Steam Vr software installed disables the move function. However I can for example use the arrow keys that I have bound to move in VR in the cockpit camera no problem so I'm puzzled.

Geoff