Lausanne LSGL cheap slope fix

• Dear IPACS Team and Aerofly FS2 users,

I've been pretty much sorry that the LSGL Lausanne Airport in Aerofly FS (both versions) only consists of a desperately ugly flat runway, nothing near the characteristic slopy real thing.

Runway's real profile:
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/AeroflyFS/LSGL/Profil_LSGL.JPG]

I just found a "cheap" and reversible workaround to remove the flatten effect in Lausanne, by editing the lausanne.tsc file in the scenery\places\ch\lausanne folder of your AFS2 installation.

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/AeroflyFS/LSGL/Correction_LSGL.JPG]

The trick consists of editing autoheight from FALSE to TRUE, which removes the flatten effect.

Runway 36 uphill autoheight set to TRUE (fix):
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/AeroflyFS/LSGL/aerofly_fs_2%202017-03-25%2013-26-00-02.jpg]

Runway 36 uphill autoheight set to FALSE (default):
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/AeroflyFS/LSGL/aerofly_fs_2%202017-03-25%2013-34-31-23.jpg]

Runway 18 downhill autoheight set to TRUE (fix):
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/AeroflyFS/LSGL/aerofly_fs_2%202017-03-25%2013-38-00-88.jpg]

Runway 18 downhill autoheight set to FALSE (default):
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/AeroflyFS/LSGL/aerofly_fs_2%202017-03-25%2013-36-01-14.jpg]

It's not perfect, the slope is only partially featured (approx 1.3% slope in AFS2 instead of 2.5%, probably due to the lack of accuracy of the original mesh), but it's definitely better than the flattop by default.

There are side effects on the parking, PAPI and neighbouring woods, if someone wants to improve this airport it might probably be better to start from scratch...

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• BTW I couldn't find any autoheight boolean in AFS 1, the scenery structure is somewhat different...

Is the flatten systematically included in the runway, or in the AD ground tile ?

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Makes me wonder about the granularity of the default geometry. Can higher resolution ground geometry (around an airport, for instance) be mixed easily with lower resolution?

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Makes me wonder about the granularity of the default geometry. Can higher resolution ground geometry (around an airport, for instance) be mixed easily with lower resolution?

According to the SDK one can add locally a mesh. IPACS mentions the best results are usually obtained by giving the local mesh a rounded island shape around the AD.
    To my understanding it should mean that this local mesh can be of higher resolution compared to the global scenery.

Cheers
    Antoine

• I visited LSGL for the first time yesterday after reading this post. I guess it was too short for some of the planes. What I noticed is the ramp has not been updated, it is just flat images, no static planes or buildings.

Regards,

Ray

• Actually Lausanne is a pretty busy GA airport IRL. Of course it will be too short for the 747, but it is well suited for many AFS2 aircraft: C172, Robin, Baron, King Air, Corsair, P38...

Unfortunately, like most AD in the Switzerland DLC, only a blank, flat runway is featured, not mentioning the many GA AD that are not even featured...

It was already the case in AFS 1 and the AFS 2 DLC wasn't improved in this direction...

Cheers
    Antoine

• Antoine,

are you saying i can apply this autoheight change to any airport worldwide?

If yes, how does the change go with users' indididual terrain resolution? Some use more detailed mesh, some use a lesser detailed.
    would it still do the slopes and bumps?

Looking at Zurich.tsd i find several parameters <[int32][autoheight_override][-1]>.
    What is your recommended tweak?

Runway looks way too flat, in real life it has quite a dump.

• Jan, i would love to hear more about that custom terrain mesh,
    i assume it is patched into the overall scenery. But where does the data come from,
    and is it subject to be ajusted in the future?

i would appreciate any attempt of getting the users the real "runway experience".

• jan, ignore my last transmission.
    As checking Zurich out today, the slope is done pretty well,
    if not excellent.

Zurich was forgotten by all that New York stuff, and going back to it
    i have to say "wow!!!", what a great work, it all looks very very realistic.

maybe some forestry at the runway ends needs to be added (without generic trees needed to be ON),
    and some ai planes from the swiss and edelweiss fleet,
    as well as some american carriers out at E22-25.

I keep an eye on Dübendorf Airbase and Zurich Downtown, both deserving some additional modelling i guess.

Nimbus clouds could use some more shadowing on the bottom.

This sim keeps pleasing me a lot, this is going a great great way.