PiMax VR Headset Discussion

• Some users began to ask about the new PiMax headsets over on the Steam Aerofly FS 2 forum, so I thought to bring it on over here as well.

The community is interested in learning about the new PiMax VR headsets. Have any of you tried these new headsets? If so, have you tried them with Aerofly FS 2? Please share all of your experiences (especially running FS 2), inquiring minds want to know :)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• While the 4K sounds amazing I have used this headset and I was not very impressed (as an Oculus and Vive owner)

The screen is only 60hz so head movement feels noticeably less fluid then even my DK2 oculus and cannot be compared to the CV1.

The deal breaker for me though is that the PiMax headset doesn't support positional tracking, it only supports rotational tracking, which is basically similar as the original oculus DK1 devkit. This means you cannot lean forward to get closer to the gauges or lean left or right to look out the side of the aircraft as you naturally would, your head is stuck in a fixed position and can simply rotate in that position. I know from my experience with the DK1 that the lack of positional tracking is a huge problem and if you try and lean or move and the picture inside the headset doesn't it can quickly lead to motion sickness etc.

Honestly save your money and get an Oculus. It works brilliantly well with AFFS2 and lots of other flight sims, racing sims and even full room experiances.

Cav

AFFS2 Needs Multiplayer - Please make it happen!

• I already mentioned Pimax in another thread here. I will repost some of the review vids I had posted.

This covers a review of the Pimax. A look of Pimax with a flight game (Elite dangerous) and finally NOLO, to provide positional tracking to the PiMax.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0leNzzUlAI4&t=26s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRguWP9JPQ&t=0s

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• CavendishD - So if the positional tracking was fixed (with this http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nolo-motion-co…news-54920.html ) and the software was upgraded to use true 4K (I reckon hardware can handle it), do you think the 60hz would become a minor issue or still a big distraction?

Double res on the instruments is very appealing to me.

• CavendishD - So if the positional tracking was fixed (with this http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nolo-motion-co…news-54920.html ) and the software was upgraded to use true 4K (I reckon hardware can handle it), do you think the 60hz would become a minor issue or still a big distraction?

Double res on the instruments is very appealing to me.

Personally I find 60hz very distracting in VR. Its kind of like one of those things where if you don't know what you're missing then its difficult to say how much it will bother you. I've had every iteration of the Oculus headsets (DK1,DK2 and CV1) and I remember noticing the jump from 60hz (DK1) to 75hz (DK2) being quite a big difference in how comfortable the experience is and how convincing for the brain it is that its "reality". The jump from the 75hz of the DK to the 90hz of the CV1 is also a jump although maybe not quite as big.

Personally I'm just going to wait for the CV2 and Vive 2 and see what kind of things they offer.

AFFS2 Needs Multiplayer - Please make it happen!