SDK extension, Pilot

• Dear IPACS team,

Would it be possible in a next release of the SDK to add a Pilot sample, and a conversion tool in case the current converter is not suited ?

In case you don't want to spread your 3D models, would it be possible to have a paint kit similar to what you provided for the learjet?

I think some users would enjoy tuning the pilot with their own face...

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• You can make a business out of that. For 20 or 30 dollars, people can send you photographs and you can put their heads on the pilot...... ;)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Dear IPACS team,

Would it be possible in a next release of the SDK to add a Pilot sample, and a conversion tool in case the current converter is not suited ?

In case you don't want to spread your 3D models, would it be possible to have a paint kit similar to what you provided for the learjet?

I think some users would enjoy tuning the pilot with their own face...

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Antoine

No reply from IPACS regarding this question?
    Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• (I know this is an old post, and from April Fool's Day this year, no less but...)

That's actually an awesome idea...

I'll take my female pilots redheaded please.

It would be nice to be able to make a model in say poser or DAZ3D, then be able to import them in as a pilot.

Heck I am always interested in having myself depicted in the cockpit, especially since darker skinned pilots are a rarity in the virtual world.

For now, I will let Pamela take the left seat in the Cessna, and I will fly from the right.

• Heck I am always interested in having myself depicted in the cockpit, especially since darker skinned pilots are a rarity in the virtual world.

It's something I've thought about from time to time. In-sim pilots are routinely depicted as male, with the occasional female (with Lara Croft boobs, of course) thrown in for variety. But people with varying ethnic backgrounds? Younger people? As far as I know, it's never happened.

This probably depicts the various developers out there correctly, but for anyone else, it makes it just that little bit harder to relate to these characters as a serious user alter-ego.

Eh.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Exactly my point. Luckily over the FS9, FSX years, I have been no stranger to photoshopping things. I have noticed of late that some developers are starting to broaden their character model base, but I expect it is something most don't really consider when making aircraft. I cannot begrudge anyone for making someone who looks like them, as i might be inclined to do the same thing.

I also noticed some animated people at an airport in Utah. That blew my mind. While in VR I practically expected Pamela to talk to me, seeing this couple talking (only thing missing was audio) was pretty impressive. I need more of this somehow. That got my mind thinking crazy... avatars, multiplayer, voice from the models... possible youtube tour series (after I complete the FSX one)....

The boundaries are so limitless with this sim.

For now though, I will settle for having a redheaded co-pilot. Is there a way to put Pamela in the copilot seat, so I am not flying alone in VR?

• (...) Is there a way to put Pamela in the copilot seat, so I am not flying alone in VR?

Technically yes. Practically for us stupid users it's very difficult, look at your aircraft's tmd file (open in Notepad ++), the pilot is at the bottom of the file. You'll quickly understand your pain without documentation on how to correctly move each bone of the human.

Moreover, Pamela and Patricia have a quite different hands structure compared to male pilots, to make them fit the Cessna's controls (not clear to me, since some male pilots with "normal" hands can grab the Baron's yoke too.

The pilot is chosen in the TMC file, I don't think IPACS has forseen to name here a "copilot", so I assume you might need to "simply" move the pilot from the left seat to the right seat. I haven't tried out yet, but it could mean renouncing to having a pilot on the left seat.

I don't have VR, but I use a TrackIR, and one game changer for immersion is to display the pilot's body.

Cheers

Antoine

• 'The boundaries are so limitless with this sim'

They are. And believe me when I tell you that our imaginations are running full throttle here as well. The problem here is that we are a small team with big, complex ideas. We have to prioritize and hope that we are choosing the right path. While this feature is not a big complex task we still have a lot of other things that take priority at the moment.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

They are. And believe me when I tell you that our imaginations are running full throttle here as well. The problem here is that we are a small team with big, complex ideas. We have to prioritize and hope that we are choosing the right path. While this feature is not a big complex task we still have a lot of other things that take priority at the moment.

AI Traffic confirmed

:P

Yep, Colorado might be fairly high on the list this week. ;)

Regards,

Ray

• Thankfully, I am no stranger to modding things. (I better not say that too loud in this crowd, lest the devs send me a job application...)

Given enough time I could experiment with things and see what I can find out. So far since "discovering" Pamela in the cockpit, I figured out how to make it so that the default Cessna has Patricia piloting, and the cold and dark one (the one I prefer to use) can be shared with Pamela.

She's now my official "Otto Pilot", only much better looking.

I still say, throw it in the suggestion box t o make the next female pilot/copilot model a redhead. Hahaha!

As with all things, no rush, I totally get the concept of priorities. I am just glad I found a new addiction to sink my time into (the sim, not Pamela).

• If we could simply have the repaint TIFs/PNGs for at least one of the male and one of the female pilots - "body_color" and "body_head", with GIMP or equivalent and the content converter, we could at least change the clothing and the face to our liking - the body shape and animation would stay the same of course.

• Given enough time ...

That's what I'm desperately lacking. Changing the pilot is easy as far as you keep a female pilot in the C172 and a male pilot in other aircraft.

The skeleton structure is trickier to move without knowing the involved referential, but you can fiddle about with parameters and check the result.

As I wrote in the initial thread, making pilot textures available as a paint kit would be great with probably less effort for IPACS than arguing why they should not do it ;) but it only makes sense provided that the textures can be converted and applied to the pilot with the existing SDK tools. If IPACS has to amend the object or aircraft converter, then it would be a different story.

Cheers

Antoine