Steam issues - alert

• Steam download causing issues to many users.

IPACS should look for alternative ways or even better: manage downloads directly.

guess i wasn't the only one with issues. DLC never really installed, after days of downloading and re-downloading.
    The full 130+GB load is on my hard disk but i am not able to start the game.
    Steam seems to work on an on an on for no reason.

What i learn hands-on: Steam sucks!

Connecting a product with partners like steam means giving away control. If they mess up, your product is down.
    No distributor, no publisher, no nothing other than a powerful server is required today for selling and updating games. What used to be done for funding reasons, publishing companies no longer should brought in between users and developers. So many funding sources exist today, market will re-configure in the next few years. And hopefully, companies like steam will have disappeared.
    Latest Business Reports confirm that Steam is of no advantage to either publishers or users due unqualified and unmotivated supporters, unnumbered account issues, slow download, hacked servers and content, publishers' loss of product and revenue control, a real business killer if you will.

see, how it's done:

DCS
    Large downloads, many versions, frequent updates (DLCs): no issues.

• Could this be too big of an update for Steam to handle reliably? Would Aero be the largest program on steam? Perhaps they would organise downloads differently if they expected to be given 70 GB updates?

I kind of doubt it. Games like Grand Theft Auto 5 and others are regularly 60GB downloads or larger, and I believe the complete X-plane comes in at about 90GB

Considering how many millions of people simultaneously downloaded GTA on day one with a relative lack of incident, I suspect Steams internet backbone is more than enough to handle the task.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• The issues most users have seen were related to the fact, that for some reason, files in the Hi Res texture pack and the base package of Aerofly FS 2 were duplicated. This caused Steam to continously update those files as they were different in both packages. However this should have been fixed.

Also, as mentioned before, we virtually replaced every aerial images in Aerofly as we used a new algorithm to generate them. This saved us around 5% of storage and makes future updates easier but it required us to create such a big update.

• For Steam's Backbone servers and IN, dealing with AEFS2 is piece of cake...

OTOH, we can't really compare, in any aspect, AEFS2 with it's detailed satellite scenery with the download of run-of-the-mill FSX:SE from the last Century... not to talk about the flight dynamics in AEFS2, IMO on pair with the best that can be done with X-plane, DCS, IL-2 BoX...

So, if your connection is a slow one, get a better one if you can :)

Limited by Main Thread...

This caused Steam to continously update those files as they were different in both packages. However this should have been fixed.

@support:

Issue not fixed at all. Just to let you know.

When reaching end of download quantity (in my case 113GB), it keeps in infinite loop doing nothing (no, it's not the apple inc. address). Just really nothing.
    Download in steam window does not complete, but in windows explorer i can see all files are updated. (not today's date, but the date
    of my initial download)

This is aprx. the 7th time of many (many) hours doing the very same download thing, and it seems going nowhere.

Steam Support told me to clear download cache and re-do it, which i did, and which led to same result.

Detailed Screen info:
    Heruntergeladen 113.4 GB of 113.4 GB
    verbleibende Zeit: 0
    Window Status: Wird installiert
    Dowload: Active, 0 von 1 Download(s) abgeschlossen

This is where the window rests, no activity.

Copy of steam advise:

Please try the following, it should help with your issues with #gamename:

1. Open the Settings panel in the Steam Client by selecting “Steam > Settings” from the top left menu.
    2. Select the Downloads tab and click “Clear Download Cache” at the bottom.
    3. Click “OK” to confirm, then log in to Steam again.

Then verify the files for this game.

Bei weiteren Fragen stehe ich Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.
    Tobler

• I deleted my download and had 88 GB free. The new download crashed saying I needed another 27 GB. I uninstalled Aero and installed it again overnight with Utah added in the morning. It was painless, all my settings were kept. May I suggest that at the first sign of a bad update, kill Aero completely and start from scratch. There might be a lesson to be learned here.

• I deleted my download and had 88 GB free. The new download crashed saying I needed another 27 GB. I uninstalled Aero and installed it again overnight with Utah added in the morning. It was painless, all my settings were kept. May I suggest that at the first sign of a bad update, kill Aero completely and start from scratch. There might be a lesson to be learned here.

thanks overloaded, this sounds the most plausible to me. All other attempts really failed. Before i do it, i need to understand what a complete re-installation looks like, considering steam to re-download everything.
    What is the best way in single steps to delete and re-install, including updates?

• Sounds like the download is not the issue but Steam is not able to start the installation. Maybe you should check where Steam wants to install the game and then confirm that there is not file protection active, meaning: try using administrator rights, that could help. Or try another installation folder.

thanks Jan.
    I understand where your thoughts are heading, and i agree,
    there must be something blocking the closure of the download (but files are actually on my HD, so folders were not blocking anything).
    I tried a few things, mainly closing firewall and stuff (that caused steam issues in the past ).

Changing destination folders sounds not so promising to me, i can only say that steam seems to know where to find its stuff, since it is their very domain not to allow alternatives. Their downlaods obviously compare to accuracy of files, it's not a one way download like in other applications. Their path was designed from minute 1 after game was installed years ago.

I think a complete re-install would raise hopes but how much sense does it make? Same failure could happen again based on the fact that rectification of unknown root cause has not been applied. = Reason for failure still there)

Unfortunately i can not invest too much time into this. If next few things fail, i will need to say good bye to aerofly.

i need to find out now what the best way for re-installation is. keep you updated.

• I would love to offer some insight but I know only a little about computing. I just went into steam and selected uninstall. I had tried to clear cache earlier and it had almost no effect. After uninstall I had about 40 GB in use on a compressed 240 (I thought it was 250!) GB SSD so it might have had 30 to 100% more capacity, I hadn't checked.
    I ran install overnight. My 20Mb/sec broadband loaded it in 13 hours so it was ready in the morning. The Utah download is actually hard to find. After a few computer restarts it didn't appear but I found it hidden in a steam library menu. Hit it and don't exit an apparently pointless Aero start-up. It took about two hours.
    Sorry for not knowing more.

PS. The disk compression was only an attempt to get more and more capacity for the hopeless update. I will uncompress the drive now that the update is done. It had not helped.

PPS. The suggestion to reinstall came from our friends inside IPACS, thanks to you all, much appreciated.

• Overloaded,
    here the feedback:

Any download issue with steam can be resolved
    if you entirely un-install aerofly. Entirely.

Then do a re-download (which installs it from scratch), takes a night.

When the download completes, don't close steam. Wait another hour until it offers Now Play.

I found that refreshing everything has also an impact on performance. The game launches much quicker.

• yes, interesting to pursuit.
    i was not aware of such side by side options, i was assuming once with steam, always with steam.
    But orbx is trustworthy from what i remember.
    All that needs to be kept in mind is that they love to blow up data quantities.

i am preparing my Meighs-Miami Flight now, just waiting for the release :))