Feature request - Naval Aviation in AF2

• I am still experimenting with the porting of some of my aircrafts from FSX/P3D to AF2... and this time I tried the T-45C, which is looking quite good in this simulation, and it is probably worth completing.

...which makes me think that AF2 would be a quite nice platform for virtual naval aviation...so this is more of a "feature request post". I believe the FSX:A implementation in that respect is quite good:

From the carrier side:
    - moving boat
    - up to 4 catapults (with arm/disarm functions)
    - up to 4 arrestor wires (with possibility for the sim to tell which one has been engaged)

From the aircraft side:
    - Launch bar (inhibits nose wheel steering)
    - Tailhook
    - Possibility to arm/disarm the catapults (if in the proper area)
    - Possibility to toggle catapult assisted takeoff (which may be helpful for gliders)

....then, of course we would need a nicely rendered, dynamic sea (which I think it is already in the to-do list).

Sorry if it is a bit off-topic!

• Hi,

you're not the first one to ever think about that. I would like to implement that once we have moving vehicles in the scenery. Right now the bases for moving objects are not quite there yet, we have completed the first step: animated people. So there now are scenery objects that move but there are still quite a number of other things that we need.

When/if we do add a simulation of an aircraft carrier we will very likely add all the things you mentioned. I see that as a great demonstration of our physics engine and it would be a nice thing for the users to do. It's very challenging and rewarding and you get to practice your spot landing skills.

I'm thinking of a moving carrier that is bouncing on the waves, arresting hook and cables, catapult launch, aircraft elevator and maybe a few ai aircraft to top it all off? Maybe moving crew with the appropriate hand signals as well... Midair refuelling could also be nice, in case you don't make the first three attempts.

So yeah, could be a thing we do in the future, I think it would be a lot of fun for everyone involved.

Regards,
    Jan

Regards,

Jan

• Jan,

Do you realize that T-45C is a freeware aircraft for FSX/P3D by the OP? btw, it is a better overall model than the early version payware that I reviewed recently for Avsim.

Regards,

Ray

• If we had your T-45C available for Aerofly FS 2 we could be doing some land based flight training while waiting for the new carrier to get out of drydock. We could use KNUW, NAS Whidbey, that has the carrier footprint on the runway already for the pattern work.

Regards,
    Ray

• It is great to see that we agree that we need "the" boat to be in AF2 (sooner or later)...

As for the T-45C, given the good results of the first tests, it is very likely that it will be coonverted to AF2.
    At the moment I believe that the avionics will be quite basic - but they should be good enough to operate the aircraft.
    My T-45C for FSX/P3D is indeed freeware, and has been a very successful project. I cannot say for sure that the T-45C for Af2 will be developed for free, but it will either be free or very inexpensive.

• It is great to see that we agree that we need "the" boat to be in AF2 (sooner or later)...

As for the T-45C, given the good results of the first tests, it is very likely that it will be coonverted to AF2.
    At the moment I believe that the avionics will be quite basic - but they should be good enough to operate the aircraft.
    My T-45C for FSX/P3D is indeed freeware, and has been a very successful project. I cannot say for sure that the T-45C for Af2 will be developed for free, but it will either be free or very inexpensive.

That is excellent news. Most folks agree it has always been payware quality.

Regards,

Ray

• Ray,
    I'd like to fly the T-45 out of Pt Mugu - which I have uploaded to Jeff for the User Scenery Content.
    ]

Me too.
    Excellent news.

This is one of the missing airports that I named in the Avsim review of Aerofly FS 2. I spent some time there when assigned to Special Projects Polaris working for Rickover way back when.

Regards,

Ray