So Dovetail announces "Flightsim world" impending release.

• So DTG has released news of the impending release of their long awaited sim, Flightsim World into early access sometime this month.

Seems very conveniently timed!

Anyway, Dovetail have never been slackers at marketing, and this announcement already shows all the slick showmanship they are known for.

Having already established themselves at Avsim and other communities, their PR department has unleashed a very professional announcement video, debuted a slick looking new website, sent out announcement emails to pretty much everyone in the world, and undoubtedly we will soon be flooded with preview videos from carefully selected aviation-themed YouTube personalities.

The sim itself appears to be a prettier FSX so far, (surprise surprise) and the video gives me eerie flashbacks to the look and feel of Microsoft Flights environments and graphics.

Of course, the entire simulation community, having been expertly primed for several years, is going to absolutely explode with this news, and if nothing changes, expect Aerofly to become a bit of an also ran for a while until the release of this new sim.

I just hope very much that Ipacs takes the needed opportunity to come out of its shell and communicate a bit more, and be a bit more aggressively self promotional. This has been said before over the years with little result, but I hope right now is different, and you don't allow yourselves to be absolutely buried beneath waves of superior marketing.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Yeah... then it's pretty useless/worthless/senseless to me. I will keep my money, that's for sure. :p

• Exciting times for Flight Simulator enthusiasts :)

As for the communication from our side: The marketing of Dovetail is impressive for sure, and after reading this, one surely wants to try the new simulator. But to be honest, this type of communication is not our style. I think we have made enough statements on what to expect from Aerofly in the future, so I am not sure what else we should communicate here. If you expect weekly updates or news, we simply cannot do this. What we can say is, that we are busy on multiple construction sides: New airplanes, increased system depth, new features. I know we are too quiet for some users, but its just the way we work and it has proven to be good for us as it does not put too much pressure on our workflow.

As for the communication from our side: The marketing of Dovetail is impressive for sure, and after reading this, one surely wants to try the new simulator. But to be honest, this type of communication is not our style. I think we have made enough statements on what to expect from Aerofly in the future, so I am not sure what else we should communicate here. If you expect weekly updates or news, we simply cannot do this. What we can say is, that we are busy on multiple construction sides: New airplanes, increased system depth, new features. I know we are too quiet for some users, but its just the way we work and it has proven to be good for us as it does not put too much pressure on our workflow.

Works for me... :)

Ken

• I am spoiled by Factorio developers. :D
    https://www.factorio.com/blog/
    They bring an interesting post every Friday about their game and the state of things.
    So, for me it is very quiet here ... too quiet ... :o
    But I can live with it. Thank you for your great simulator!

• I have been around here long enough (since FS 1) and seen this question replied to enough times that I pretty much knew the answer, but I figured I would give it a shot anyway. :cool:

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I doubt I'm going anywhere either, after I purchased a faster internet connection just to more easily download Aeroflys huge files! :D

Devons rig

• Sorry, if our answer disappoints you. But I am sure you will stick with Aerofly for some more time, as we probably publish enough stuff, just in time, to keep you interested ;)

Also, you should at least wait for LOWI, as this is a whole new world...

Personally, as someone who mostly enjoys low and slow VFR flight, I am more than happy with the current state of planes and system functions. I do understand the need many have for deeper system integration and some other features they have been waiting for, and will eventually get, but I am most interested in seeing a steady flow of scenery region addons. Keep em coming on a regular basis, and I will be a happy simmer... :)

Ken

Edited once, last by KenR297 (May 4, 2017 at 5:42 AM).

• Looks good in some respects, but I'm wary. Flight School videos looked good as well, and look how that turned out! :p

Devons rig

• I watched the video and as soon as I saw those vector roads running over landclass groundtextures (right through houses and all) I was done with it. I seriously can't stand generic scenery anymore. Not that flat photoreal is that great (I actually hate it above cities because I never have the feeling I actually am near or above a city) but with LOWI coming up and a brand new autogen system on the way (although it is unsure who is going to actually provide the autogen) I couldn't be more happy with a flightsim. Deeper systems would be nice too but lately I mainly use my flightsim for a relaxing flight above nice scenery, just to be out there somewhere. The fact that I only fly with my Rift now really creates that feeling of being somewhere else! (Although I am already looking forward to a higher res VR device: I do wonder of all that detail in LOWI can be enjoyed with the Rift).

• Autogen is OK for variable scenery. Trees grow and die so I don't demand the exact frozen tree distribution on an alpine hillside on a given date. Autogen trees should reflect the local coverage. They should be of the correct size, many autogen trees are far too big, they should have normal size distributions with young trees positioned in appropriate areas and they should not all be the one species. The chosen coverage could be painted in high resolution in areas of interest. A good place to start would be Sion in the Swiss scenery. It is hard to have convincing trees among dead flat photo buildings but the Sion approach is made much worse with trees screaming for attention on roads, railwaylines and almost on the obscured runway threshold.
    Good trees really bring a convincing sense of scale, trees and parked aircraft lock the impression of a runway's true size and many Aerofly airports do have that great sense of 'hugeness'.

Take your time guys, just make FS2 the best it can be and the rest will take care of itself. No point hyping anything too soon, you are still in the relatively early stages and many of us can see the potential. Dovetail deserve their time in the spotlight, and I'll probably buy at least the base game to help support them, but my long term money would be on FS2.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• By the way, DTG Aimee just confirmed (again) no VR probably anytime soon, if at all for this sim.

We are not worrying about VR for now. It would be nice to have, but we have a team of 15 people working on this project and we can't spare anyone to optimize the game for VR now. We are busy making the best PC sim we can instead!

Devons rig

• By the way, DTG Aimee just confirmed (again) no VR probably anytime soon, if at all for this sim.

VeRy interesting, hard to imagine anyone bring out a sim without VR in 2017, it's the future you know.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals