HiRes, Bump Mapped Runways Preliminary Development

• I wasn't satisfied with the quality of my Pt. Mugu scenery runways that were just aerial imagery even though the resolution was supposed to be 0.25 meters per pixel. so I created a runway model with AC3D on top of the image and added some higher resolution (one pixel equals 0.4 foot or so) imagery - that looks pretty good but I also wanted to try bump mapping on top of that so I figured that out a little and wanted to show a picture of the result for you scenery developers to consider. I think that the "concrete bumps" are overdone right now but I will keep trying different image noise with GIMP.

First image is just straight aerial imagery, no model:

Then the model with higher resolution imagery:

Then with bump mapping:

Dave

• Official Post

Very nice Dave.
    This is indeed an improvement.

I began to mess around with similar water layers to make the water look more realistic in-game. I've been trying different bump mapping and specular effects. I'll post some shots of my progress soon.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Ray and others,
    The new version (I call it VerA04) with the improved runway 3-21 is available now from the User Scenery area. The bump mapping only exists at the beginning of Rwy 21 and could be removed by the user by simply deleting the xxx_normal.ttx file. Let me know of any ideas for improvement.

Dave