Problem with scenery in Geneva Aerofly FS2

• Hi,
    No that's the border of the DLC. No need to reload.
    Since the lake is painted - neither water texture nor photo - it's a pitty the water is not "painted" all over the lake, it doesn't make sense (no need to purchase aerial photos to represent the lake).

We also hope the place will be improved in the future with a French DLC to make the region more coherent.

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Antoine,

I saw that while flying out of Geneva and thought the same thing as Gezz. That is a weird location for the border of the DLC. But when I brought up Google Maps it is easy to see that the center of Lake Geneva is the border between Switzerland and France. The land in that area is of really such poor resolution one would think the developer of the Scenery package would go the extra kilometer and included enough of France to make it presentable at least.

It certainly looks to me like just a screw up of sorts with some of the scenery tiles and should be given proper attention by IPACS to correct, but I do understand this area really is a neighboring country. duh.

You can easily see the match line of the good scenery and the bad scenery in the second attached image, with the bad scenery in the Lac Leman area and not in the Switzerland DLC.

Regards,

Ray

• Ray, I do know this all pretty well, I live in Lausanne.
    But it doesn't make sense to only partially paint the lake itself, it's not a photo texture (there's actually a photo behind, but it is so much painted over they could have done the same with the satellite photo).
    The aerial photos for the French side do exist and they're available, it would be cool to make a French DLC to make this area more coherent.

The history behind this is probably slightly different : the aerial photos used in the Swiss DLC are from the 1990's era old Endoxon base. Endoxon was purchased early 2000's by Google to make Google Earth, that more or less how it all started.
    I don't know how IPACS got the license for these photos - probably from Google - to make Aerofly FS 1, but they never purchased neighbouring zones aerial photos.

The Swiss scenery was ported to Aerofly FS2 as a DLC, initially without any improvement. A few aerodromes have in the meantime been much improved, among which Geneva and Lausanne.

Cheers
    Antoine

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Ray, I do know this all pretty well, I live in Lausanne.
    But it doesn't make sense to only partially paint the lake itself, it's not a photo texture (there's actually a photo behind, but it is so much painted over they could have done the same with the satellite photo).
    The aerial photos for the French side do exist and they're available, it would be cool to make a French DLC to make this area more coherent.

The history behind this is probably slightly different : the aerial photos used in the Swiss DLC are from the 1990's era old Endoxon base. Endoxon was purchased early 2000's by Google to make Google Earth, that more or less how it all started.
    I don't know how IPACS got the license for these photos - probably from Google - to make Aerofly FS 1, but they never purchased neighbouring zones aerial photos.

The Swiss scenery was ported to Aerofly FS2 as a DLC, initially without any improvement. A few aerodromes have in the meantime been much improved, among which Geneva and Lausanne.

Cheers
    Antoine

Cheers
    Antoine

Thanks Antoine,

It is always interesting to know the background. I flew directly from taking the screen shots to Lausanne and snapped an aerial screenshot to compare to the airport's website image. Pretty close copy as seen from the air. On the ground the few fuzzy spots are a real take away though. I found it interesting that Lausanne has 3 starting positions though.

Rumor has it the France VFR scenery for FSX/P3D is quite good.

Regards,

Ray

• Your aerial picture of Lausanne is pretty old yet. The T-shaped hangar is missing. Long side hangars were equipped with solar panels some 7 years ago, and lately the road (bottom right) was modified.

The new Aerofly FS2 modelization of Lausanne airport is pretty good. Too bad the main building (bottom left) is missing.
    I also have the feeling the PAPI slopes are wrong, but I didn't measure yet.
    The Rwy 18 PAPI is wrong positioned.

Cheers
    Antoine