Request new assignable events in Settings menu

• Dear IPACS team,

Currently the Saitek Pro Flight Panels are recognized by Aerofly FS2, but most switches cannot be assigned to commands due to the lack of corresponding parameter in the settings.

While aircraft basic systems are still not yet implemented, one workaround would be to make a page of programmable events in the settings menu, to which keys or switches can be assgined similar to other functions like the lights or communication settings.

In other words, just like we have a page with lights setting, featuring Panel, Navigation light, Beacon, Strobe, Landing Light, Taxi, etc. to which keys or switches can be assigned, we could have an extra page with Event 1, Event 2, Event 3,... Event 10 and a syntax to assign them as Inputs in our TMD files.

For instance the Fuel Pump switch of the Saitek panel could be assigned to Event 1, and then Event 1 could be set as Input for the Fuel Pump Switch in our aircraft TMD file.
    Or is there another way to achieve that result ?

I did some trial and error testing, I could for instance misuse existing commands like for instance the Beacon to switch on/off the fuel pump of my aircraft with my fuel pump switch, bu I couldn't create new commands.
    The Wiki doesn't help either...

Thank you n advance for some feedback
    Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Official Post

Hi Antoine,

yes the control settings menu is a bottleneck at the moment. I've programmed probably three to five hundred switches or functions that can't be assigned yet, e.g. the battery master in the c172 or b58, pedal disconnect in the a320, etc. etc..
    If we don't do something about it tools like FSUIPC that exist for FSX will be created for Aerofly FS 2 as well. That goes against our philosophie of creating a good simulator that doesn't need external software.

I'm dreaming of a method where you are in the virtual cockpit, press a button to enable the controls editing function, then click the switch with the mouse (highlight that clickspot while its active), then move the control device switch that you would like to have assigned for that function. E.g. load the Cessna, hit edit command short cut, click the fuel pump switch, flip your device switch - assignment done. That would be very very nice I think.

Regards,
    Jan

Regards,

Jan

• I'm dreaming of a method where you are in the virtual cockpit, press a button to enable the controls editing function, then click the switch with the mouse (highlight that clickspot while its active), then move the control device switch that you would like to have assigned for that function. E.g. load the Cessna, hit edit command short cut, click the fuel pump switch, flip your device switch - assignment done. That would be very very nice I think.

Regards,
    Jan

Hi Jan,

This sounds good but beware it doesn't bring too many drawbacks. Imagine if you had then to repeat individually all controls, switches, etc. settings for each individual aircraft, or even within aircraft variants if they feature different equipment... what a pain.

Or if the setting for 1 aircraft is universal, how would you handle overdefined/conflicting assignments?

Let's make it with an example:
    You assign your taxi light control (for instance Saitek switch) to the taxi light switch in the C172. Say it works then also for the Baron, but not for the Robin, since taxi light is called "landing light right" in that aircraft.
    You assign then your taxi light control to the "landing light right" switch in your Robin, and your taxi light control has now 2 assignments in AFS2:
    - taxi light
    - landing light right
    How dou you handle this dual definition and how to you keep an overview of the definition table?

Now comes an aircraft with landing lights in both left and right wings. Then you assign your landing light control to the left and right landing lights... what a mess if settings are not aircraft variant-specific. And what a pain in the a... if they are.

But yes there's room for improvement, and at least a dozen of assignable events would provide a nice workaround in the meantime, while designing the future solution.

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.