Slow progress

• No, since FSET or any other earth service is involved, this process has to be separated into different steps. :cool:

Yes, definitely keep separated tools... looking forward to this one !

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Official Post

Yes, definitely keep separated tools... looking forward to this one !

Cheers
    Antoine

Here's just a little peek of what can be done with this tool :)

• Official Post

And a shot directly from Oculus VR mode :) A screenshot from scenery made from an early version of the upcoming GeoConvert tool. From my picturesque home State of Pennsylvania USA

• Speaking of progress, I will just add here that the long anticipated announcement of P3DV4 today reveals many new features including truly dynamic lighting ala X-plane. Lights actively illuminating the ground, buildings, planes, etc.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, this is something I would love to eventually see in Aerofly as well. (Not least because if Orbx and others go heavily into this type of lighting due to P3DV4, it would be great if Aerofly was already there and ready)

Heres hoping!

[Blocked Image: https://scontent.fwbw1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18671831_1694830730545564_7451415801765448842_o.jpg?oh=6c585b0be96f9d99d5b788fd6f6d2e85&oe=59C1B6E8]

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Official Post

Don't let the sceneries become as dark and brownish as in FSX. That was a nightmare.
    all contributors, keep an eye on the coloring schemes once this thing is released.
    thx in advance.

The sceneries are reliant on the aerial imagery that you use. In my screenshot I used a 0.50m resolution and it translated into AeroflyFS 2 through the GeoConvert tool flawlessly. Seeing this in VR truly makes you feel that you are really flying over real terrain, and it’s nice and bright and the colors are not washed out. So, it’s all in the images that you use. You can also easily edit the image in Gimp or Photoshop to change the saturation ofthem prior to the actual convert process. You can also edit the image to add water masks and change the water in your imagery as well, like I did for KeyWest, Florida.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• The sceneries are reliant on the aerial imagery that you use. In my screenshot I used a 0.50m resolution and it translated into AeroflyFS 2 through the GeoConvert tool flawlessly. Seeing this in VR truly makes you feel that you are really flying over real terrain, and it’s nice and bright and the colors are not washed out. So, it’s all in the images that you use. You can also easily edit the image in Gimp or Photoshop to change the saturation ofthem prior to the actual convert process. You can also edit the image to add water masks and change the water in your imagery as well, like I did for KeyWest, Florida.

Jeff, assuming you have done the entire state of PA at that resolution (.50m), what is the file size?

Ken

• Official Post

I only did a smaller part of PA as a test but I can tell you that I had 23GB worth of 0.50m resolution aerial images (35 images) and once converted with the tool it ended up being 2.25GB total size. The image below shows you the area covered. Just to give you an idea. This is without any airport models or building models.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Keep in mind guys, PA is an enormous (though sparsely populated) state.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Official Post

Keep in mind guys, PA is an enormous (though sparsely populated) state.

I'm running the entire state now, i'll let you know how large the file size is upon completion. I'm guessing around 70GB might be the magic number. I host the entire states ARC GIS file database with 0.25m imagery and that DB is 114GB total. I'm running the project at 0.50m for FS2.

Regards,

Jeff

• This is getting a bit off topic, this thread is supposed to be about slow progress, but all this stuff is clearly the opposite :rolleyes:. That work looks like anything but slow progress to me, the terrain method looks really exciting, and those shots are looking gorgeous. The holy grail for me would be to fly over a landscape and not be conscious I was in a flight sim. Looks like we might be getting a step closer to that.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• Thank you to all for useful information.

After what I understand, my work with airports will not be affected by the new tool: GeoConvert (tools work independently).

Does Ipacs have any advice on which aerial images formats are preferable?
    Or experience with other things we should consider before obtaining data?

Then I can start that part of my work - while waiting for GeoConvert to be available.
    All relevant info is desirable.

And more inspiring screenshots are welcome ... :cool:

• Official Post

Thank you to all for useful information.

After what I understand, my work with airports will not be affected by the new tool: GeoConvert (tools work independently).

Does Ipacs have any advice on which aerial images formats are preferable?
    Or experience with other things we should consider before obtaining data?

Then I can start that part of my work - while waiting for GeoConvert to be available.
    All relevant info is desirable.

And more inspiring screenshots are welcome ... :cool:

BMP and TIF files are supported at this time. The best way to obtain aerial imagery that will work with this tool is FSET (FSEarth Tiles).
    This is an application that pulls aerial imagery from around the web through earth services. Please note: imagery derived from this application can not be used for commercial scenery packages, nor for profit. This is just one of the many apps out there to obtain imagery that will work with the Aerofly GroConvert tool. If you use FSET to get your images you will need to set it up properly by adding earth stations to the config file of FSET (we could assist you with this). You will also need to set both "create masks and comp. scenery" to NO. "Download Resolution" needs to be set to obtain the resolution that you want (just look at the chart on the application). Note: -1 is 0.25m and is not shown on the application chart.
    You will need to keep the BMP images that FSET makes as well as the config file for each image (that file has important information needed for the GeoConvert tool).

Regards,

Jeff

• I'm new to all this stuff, but just downloaded FSET, tweaked the config to use the latest satellite imagery service and downloaded 1GB of my local area at detail 0. Amazing !!

Will GeoConvert extract 3D data - it won't be flat will it?

• Official Post

I'm new to all this stuff, but just downloaded FSET, tweaked the config to use the latest satellite imagery service and downloaded 1GB of my local area at detail 0. Amazing !!

Will GeoConvert extract 3D data - it won't be flat will it?

Aerial images will be placed on top of the already existing Aerofly FS 2 elevation model, so yes, no need to worry about making those mountains. The tool pretty much does everything for you except make you dinner :)

Regards,

Jeff