GeoConvert Tool coming soon

• No, all details about the orthophotos coordinates for compilation. Orthophotos are no vectors...
    Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• JV just posted on the Orbx forum that soon they will have tools to make large area regio's with. And quick too. I presume he is talking about this tool. What I like about this is that Orbx will also be able to add the new autogen and perhaps airports. Sounds like AFS2 FTX regions are coming close...? And he is talking about this year! Of course it is nice if you can create stuff yourselvew but I don't mind paying Orbx if they can do this for me: they always deliver quality so no oddly colors area's and lots of details.

I look forward to what they come up with! Elsewhere I posted things are going too slow but it seems things are suddenly coming up speed. ;)

• Let me further clarify something. Being a government CIO has it's advantages of having access to a host of solicitors and lawyers, and i took the liberty to have the use of FSET vetted to see how it could be used in conjunction with the IPACS GeoConvery tool, and some of what was said is in fact true; you can't use any scenery derived by FSET for profit nor host for advantageous trade (meaning that you can't host data on webservers for the use or potential use of trade for profit). With that said, most aerial imagery of the USA is in fact public accessible and free for download, therefor it is perfectly legal to use this service for creating personal scenery areas for Aerofly FS 2. On the other hand, there are some countries that do provide this data but only for a cost, these are the sceneries that you should be mindful of (those such sceneries are not available in FSET anyway).

Now, for ease of use; FSET makes larger BMP files as well as inf files and smaller thumbnail files. All you need to make scenery for FS2 is those larger BMP files and the inf files that goes with them. The GeoConvert tool does all of the heavy lifting here. You will simply need to run a small program called inf2tfw and this tool makes the tfw file with all of the coordinates needed (from the inf file), you then take the BMP files and those created tfw files and place them into a specific folder inside the GeoConvert tool, define your total scenery area in the TMC file and run it. That's all, you will have the files for your scenery. You can't get much easier than that. It takes around 15 minutes of actual work to make large areas with this tool. Most of the time it takes comes from the time for FSET to make those BMP files and the time it takes for the GeoConvert tool to do its job. There is no piecing together tiles, no trying to align tiles, and no guess work here.

Jeff,
    This is the best news in weeks. Thanks for taking those extra steps for us. So by extension, and for us Not For Profit users, will we be able to download another users work provided they upload it to the Users Scenery Area? Like Key West for instance.

Regards,
    Ray

• Of course it is nice if you can create stuff yourselvew but I don't mind paying Orbx if they can do this for me: they always deliver quality so no oddly colors area's and lots of details.

I look forward to what they come up with! Elsewhere I posted things are going too slow but it seems things are suddenly coming up speed. ;)

I completely agree!
    My dream becomes true if Orbx primarily focuses on large areas. While we wait - we can soon (at least) create small areas ourselves.

One of my favorites in Aerofly FS2 is the A320.

It's not so inspiring to make airports when the area has low photo resolution. Therefore, the new tool is absolutely crucial.

And with the new tool in place - I plan to make a "high-res" area around my airports. 3d objects (buildings, etc.) are most important in this area as this is where we are closest to the ground.

The airports with the surrounding "high-res" area will then appear as islands we travel to and from. In the areas between the airports - where there is low resolution - we should have a setting for cloudy weather over a chosen altitude. Then the low resolution would not be so important.

• john,
    Sorry, but the FSET .inf is simply about lon-lat corners and pixel scaling. What would be great is to develop a connection to OpenStreet mapping for buildings and possibly a tool that finds where trees( or buildings?) should be placed by pattern recognition of the aerial image.

• john,
    Sorry, but the FSET .inf is simply about lon-lat corners and pixel scaling. What would be great is to develop a connection to OpenStreet mapping for buildings and possibly a tool that finds where trees( or buildings?) should be placed by pattern recognition of the aerial image.

You're mixing up topics. This first tool is only about making the photo ground carpet. For this, all you need technically is aerial orthophotos and a set of coordinates.
    Orthophotos are very expensive, they are taken from aircraft (usually Beech King Airs) for cartography duties by local countries' geographic institutes. So does Google also for Google Earth.

FSET is a tool developped some 10 years ago for FS9 and FSX, allowing to automatically (and illegally) grab orthophotos from web services and compile them by feeding FSX's resample tool with the area picture and the set of corresponding coordinates.
    The idea here is users may feed AeroflyFS 2's upcoming converter with the area picture and set of coordinates from FSET.

Another tool is expected later to compile an elevation mesh, which is the layer below the aerial picture.

Autogen is a next layer above aerial picture and we really hope some tools come soon also to generate houses and vegetation coverage from databases.
    OSM is a quite good and very convenient free database in many countries for buildings layer generation.
    CORINE is the most used vegetation free database, pretty nice.

Add-on scenery providers do purchase aerial photo licenses, cadastral databases, vegetation databases, elevation databases and rework the whole to create sceneries.

This converter tool is an important first step, we hope the rest will follow soon, but they definitely need to remain separated tools for separated layers.

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Official Post

OK, this all sounds great. so how does the IPACS model library work in with this?

It's not fully confirmed yet but you add a dummy item in either AC3D or 3DS Max, add a coordinate to it and Vref an item from the library and it appears. Quite simple actually.
    This could change but it's basically a standard practice.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Official Post

@Trespassers- the elevation model already exists within FS2 but there may be an updated mash that one can use in the future. For now, all you need is the image(s) and the GeoConvert tool to make really nice looking scenery.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• @Trespassers- the elevation model already exists within FS2 but there may be an updated mash that one can use in the future. For now, all you need is the image(s) and the GeoConvert tool to make really nice looking scenery.

Indeed, but I don't know the accuracy of the existing mesh. It is pretty good yet in DLC, but I'd assume it's not worldwide so good.
    High accuracy 4.75m resolution mesh is available for western Europe. Paradoxally, this resolution doesn't bring much in mountainous terrain, but is a real plus in rather flat areas where the featured details like road banks in hills or coastal shorelines make it wonderful.

Thus depending on the area it might be great to compile a layer too, which is of course another tool...

Cheers
    Antoine

• john,

Ah, thanks for the clarification, I was thinking along the lines of what Ortho4XP does, as it creates a mesh from the OSM data I think. I only partly understand all this stuff, but I'm enthusiastic to learn more, so apologies for the slightly clumsy questions.

As mentioned above, the ability to customise some terrain that might be dear to ones heart, but otherwise of little interest to anyone else and have little commercial clout, would be a great feature.

Every sim has a crack at Manhattan or London, but to get convincing versions of some of the small towns near where I live would be great (but obviously of zero interest to anyone else). XP11+Ortho4XP does a pretty good job of replicating my home town area, and I can recognise all the roads, rivers and railway lines clearly at 1000ft and the autogen does a good job of inserting roughly the right type of buildings in the right places. If there is a chance to go beyond that it would be very attractive to many people to have their own little high detail mini regions.

BTW, I really wish we had a like button on this forum, there is some great stuff in here, but you can only show your appreciation by posting a reply, which tends to clog the thread a bit IMO.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• It's not fully confirmed yet but you add a dummy item in either AC3D or 3DS Max, add a coordinate to it and Vref an item from the library and it appears. Quite simple actually.
    This could change but it's basically a standard practice.

Ok, well, now I will defenitely wait and hope for the upcoming Orbx addons because I don't have either AC3D or 3DS Max nor the time to add a 3D object one at a time using coordinates... ;) I will leave this to the pro's. The tool can be interesting still, though, for whenever I want to fly over a region where there is no high res photoreal, but for my main regions I am hoping Orbx (and of course IPACS) will deliver the goods. As I said, I rather fly than create scenery.

Don't take me wrong btw: I do applaud the upcoming release of this tool! The more tools we get, the better for the future of the sim!

• Ah, thanks for the clarification, I was thinking along the lines of what Ortho4XP does, as it creates a mesh from the OSM data I think. I only partly understand all this stuff, but I'm enthusiastic to learn more, so apologies for the slightly clumsy questions.

As mentioned above, the ability to customise some terrain that might be dear to ones heart, but otherwise of little interest to anyone else and have little commercial clout, would be a great feature.

Every sim has a crack at Manhattan or London, but to get convincing versions of some of the small towns near where I live would be great (but obviously of zero interest to anyone else). XP11+Ortho4XP does a pretty good job of replicating my home town area, and I can recognise all the roads, rivers and railway lines clearly at 1000ft and the autogen does a good job of inserting roughly the right type of buildings in the right places. If there is a chance to go beyond that it would be very attractive to many people to have their own little high detail mini regions.

That's exactly the idea John. The key of a good SDK is to provide easy access enabling tools.

Eventually, users can do what they want :
    - build themselves their own local place,
    - purchase ready-to-fly third party add-ons,
    - or keep enjoying default sceneries maybe adding some features

Cheers
    Antoine

• @Max-Lea,
    The Geo_Convert tool was expecting the inf file from FS Earth Tiles which looks like the following - if you can provide the same data from SbuilderX images, then it will be fine. Instead of using the two corners (NW and SE), the TFW input file for Geo_Convert wants the NW corner and the CellXdimensionDeg term which is essentially how many degrees per pixel.

Example FSET inf file:
    ================================================================================================
    [Destination]
    DestDir = E:\FlyitClientScenery\SourceMaterial\Whidbey_Updates\0.25mpp\scenery
    DestBaseFileName = Area_Lm1_SnapOff_N048214749_N048195372_W122381354_W122352359
    BuildSeasons = 0
    UseSourceDimensions = 1
    CompressionQuality = 100

[Source]
    Type = Custom
    SourceDir = E:\FlyitClientScenery\SourceMaterial\Whidbey_Updates\0.25mpp
    SourceFile = Area_Lm1_SnapOff_N048214749_N048195372_W122381354_W122352359.bmp
    Lon = -122.637097835541 ;for top left and bottom right is: -122.589883804321
    Lat = 48.3631923794746 ;for top left and bottom right is: 48.3315879106522
    NumOfCellsPerLine = 13202 ;Pixel is not used in FSX
    NumOfLines = 11783 ;Pixel is not used in FSX
    CellXdimensionDeg = 3.57627868652344E-06 <<<<==============
    CellYdimensionDeg = 2.68220901489258E-06 <<<<===============
    PixelIsPoint = 0
    SamplingMethod = Point

• Example FSET inf file:
    ================================================================================================
    [Destination]
    Cut..

They are not the same but can use the value.

Sbuilderx313 inf example

[Source1]
    Type = BMP
    Layer = Imagery
    SourceDir = "."
    SourceFile = "L18X274011X274042Y197382Y197417.BMP"
    Variation = Day
    Channel_BlendMask = 3.0
    NullValue = 255,255,255
    SamplingMethod = Gaussian
    ulyMap = 40.5774555833333
    ulxMap = 8.14842225