Flying with aerofly fs 2, and ... Google earth ?

• In my absence from this forum, on the way back I discovered two really important news for IPACS and IPACS users, (and of course very important for me) the publication of:

1ª) .- "Flying with Google earth", and,
    2ª) .- "ORBX LOWI for AF2 in June".

Respect to the first, I was surprised that no one supported it, no one suggested, encouraged IPACs, make the necessary transformations in the sim, to fly on those scenarios. This of course, assuming that those scenarios or 3-D images, are open. Are they open?. Or should Google be paid, "rights of ... "?

In the first case, they must immediately begin to perform these transformations in the sim. Flying those scenarios to VR would have to be mind-blowing, and immense technological and commercial achievement for the IPACs, since that would be a great satisfaction for its users.

If those scenarios are not open, will have to pay Google "rights of ..." but even so, IPACs would have to try to reach an agreement with them, since in the video that was shown (flight over Tampa), it was really amazing In its realism and definition. of course, I suppose it would be equally in any airport and city of the world. Getting the possibility to fly over scenarios like that anywhere in the world, IPACs could forget to plan and design more scenarios. After watching this video, it is demonstrated that any scenario desired by companies that design flight simulators, has Google, and that in principle, deserves a rapprochement and an attempt to negotiate.

Respect to the second news, I was also surprised that all users of Aerofly were very satisfied with that agreement, and commented on this forum with true hope, although in principle, it is only the LOWI airport and its corresponding city , With an area of 2,500 square kilometers, resulting in a square surface of 50 km on the side, or a circle of 28 km radius, which is a very small surface.

In addition, we have to take into account that both this airport, and any other that ... "put up for sale", we have to buy it, and I think it will be quite expensive. Therefore, what is coming to us, are "small DLCs" but also very expensive.

If we move this philosophy to U.S.A., Europe, etc. etc. and we have to buy every DLC, it seems to me that without any exaggeration, and covering a little the whole planet (but with very few DLCs), we are going to cost the party thousands of euros, dollars, etc. Orbx would have made a good deal!. Of course: the purchase is voluntary,... of course!

In synthesis: we are excited by the second news, when the really interesting, would be excited by the first (Google Earth and its scenarios).

NOTE: The first news item was initially published by jschall. I am grateful jschall, since for me is the best and most transcendent news since I belong to this forum. This news should have consequences for this forum (and for this company Ipacs).

If we managed to fly over the Google scenarios, we would have given ... "a leap forward too big" for the world of aerial simulation ("Fly those scenarios in VR").

Regards: Delfin

• I Delfin, forgive me, but that's no news. You can already "Fly in Google Earth" with FSX/P3D and it is of very limited interest.
    Of course you can locally enjoy the landscape, but it's all that you'll have. No airports, no weather, no traffic, no ATC, no interaction, and no possible near development in this direction.
    BTW there is an integrated flight simulator in Google Earth for this purpose. I think it was removed from version 9, but if you take an earlier release you should be able to enjoy it still...

LOWI is only a first step that obviously pushed IPACS developping scenery design tools, that's the good news.
    Another good news is it will make an one-to-one comparison point with P3Dv4...

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• I've thought for a while that a Google Earth based solution will be the way to go in the future. We may not be quite there yet, but we are getting closer. The detail on buildings on Google, and how they turn them 3D is impressive, but still wonky at close distances, but if you think how much this has improved in the last five years, it is bound to improve further.

So what I imagine is a sim that has FS2/FSX/P3d/Xp11 level physics, but instead of having a gazillion GB of scenery on your hard drive, it loads up on the fly (literally) online from Google. I know there are rudimentary flight sim-ish things with FSX and Google maps, but is it pretty shonky at this stage, and a long way from a proper flight sim. There are also implications with an always online scenery supply service, but Google Maps VR is here, so hook that up to a good physics/graphics/weather engine and you are one step closer.

If there is money to be made, someone will try it. Like the birth of the Oculus Rift, we just need to wait for that combination of all the available tech to match up and come together at the same time.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• Obviously I have not explained correctly: My suggestion is in the direction of using Google scenarios that include airports, everything else should be reprogrammed in those scenarios, in order to fly over them. FSX / P3d / Xp11 already made their first test, we should take the next step really overflying those scenarios with our own aircraft. That would be a big leap into the future.

I observe in the forum that there is a great illusion to design airports and their corresponding areas (in addition to the rest of the land surface), but ...: I think this work is extraordinarily complex, with many hours of work, and at the end , the only something showy is the airports themselves, the tracks and, very, very little more; Everything else is flat, and terribly monotonous. As soon as we leave 4 or 5 km from the airport, ... all flat, no buildings, no monuments, or ... And if there were, that means a huge and extensive programming work. Is it worth losing that huge amount of time in doing something infinitely worse than Google's 3-D images to fly over them?

That I forgive you in that, Antoine?, Please: there are no differences between my point of view and yours, I have simply explained myself wrong. In general, we agree on everything we suggest or demand from IPAC.

I believe John, you see correctly, especially the future; The future for sims designer companies is this: "Take advantage of Google's extraordinary work as a stage, and designers spend their time on other aspects of the sim." Also, if I'm not wrong, the scenarios are the most expensive in programming. I'm wrong?

• After seeing in this forum that Microsoft Flight Simulator, riding on the Google scenarios ("Flying with Google Earth"), I was very pleasantly surprised. If it does Microsoft, or Prepar, ... Why not IPACS?.

Thinking about the complexity of the scenarios offered by Google, we would quantify these scenarios, not in gigabytes or terabytes, but in Petabytes

With great respect and consideration towards the creators of this sim, I think we have to stop scheduling scenarios. After seeing how we can ride on 3-D images of Google, it is extraordinarily obvious that the scenarios we need to continue flying, have Google.

To program scenarios that are infinitely simpler than those of Google, these would occupy in our devices, huge amounts of hard disk space. Also even once programmed, it would take an eternity to download them, and that is not achievable.

Currently, the IPACs team is recommending to users that currently have hard disks with little capacity, to buy discs of 4 terabytes. That is, they are admitting that this sim could get to occupy about 4 terabytes. Given that quite a few users have already had problems downloading the DLC Utah, and then with that replacement of old files by current files with better textures, etc. etc. Which led us to download approximately 120 gigabytes (excluding Switzerland). What will happen when we have to download 500 gigas, let alone higher quantities ?. Note that the biggest problem would not be the hard disk capacity, but the amount of time spent in downloading the extensions and updates.

If we think with realistic logic, especially in flight simulators, and bearing in mind that all that and much more, has already designed Google as a result of years of programming and photographed the entire planet, we have to admit that we have to use those extraordinary scenarios, for which we have to reach agreements with them to use some of that graphic information. Also, none of that graphical information we can and should not download, (it would be impossible), but we have to play on the network. In my opinion, we have to forget the design of scenarios since they are already designed. And we must dedicate our effort to other aspects of the sim.

In addition, how long would it take to plan and design all the scenarios we a priori admit as possible, and that would complete all this simulator around the world ?. How many hours of work? And ... how much money would all these scenarios cost ?. Difficult to quantify, but would be immense amounts, both in time and in euros.

By reaching an agreement with Google, we could also accelerate the end of this game extraordinarily, since all the stages are finished, and of an extraordinary quality.

NOTE: It is my wish that this writing NOT be interpreted as a negative criticism of those responsible for this sim. No, it's just an elemental exposition of how I see the development of this great FS 2 simulator and what could be achieved by flying over Google's VR scenarios.

• Hi Delfin,

btw. the "s" in IPACS is not a plural, its part of the name:
    it's "IPACS" and "IPACSes Aerofly Simulator", not "IPAC".

I don't think Google is just going to sell their entire planet of 3D imagery to a small simulator, sadly. And streaming the data is currently not really an option, even with my 100Mbit connection I see a lot of reloading in google earth. That just doesn't look as pleasing as the nicely loaded Aerofly FS 2 scenery. The overall storage requirement on disk would also be even higher than current Aerofly FS 2 scenery.

But last time I flew over the world in Google Earth I had the exact same idea, I'd really like to see entire areas in Aerofly to be of that kind of quality. Just imagine landing a helicopter on the street corner next to your house :D Or coming in low with an airliner, actually seeing the real city beneath you.

So I second your idea, but in general I'd like to have even higher quality scenery. Currently there just isn't much detail at the airports for example, too few light posts, catering & pushback trucks, shuttle busses, taxiway signs, no grass. Maybe we'll get there some day. But I also know how much work goes into these airports already.

Regards,
    Jan

• Hello Jan:
    Thanks for your answer.

Please, clarify this to me (which I intended to ask, but I forgot myself day after day, and today you make me that reference:

What is the meaning of each letter of the company "IPACS"?

What is the meaning of each of the letters of the concept "HUD"? (Display where I see in the cockpit: Speed, altitude, heading, etc.)

in other words: what are the words of this acronym?

CHANGING THE SUBJECT: LITERALLY YOU SAY:

""So I second your idea, but in general I'd like to have even higher quality scenery. Currently there just isn't much detail at the airports for example, too few light posts, catering & pushback trucks, shuttle busses, taxiway signs, no grass. Maybe we'll get there some day. But I also know how much work goes into these airports already"".

I assure Jan that I am not that demanding, I am satisfied with what he is now, and I am satisfied because I suppose how complicated it is in programming to achieve those effects, and even more, if we give people movement, wheelbarrows, etc. etc.

I, in general, accept the situation of the airports and all their infrastructure. But once we get away from the airport, everything, absolutely everything, is flattened, everything is flat, two-dimensional. This aspect is one that I would like to improve.

Of course, even Google has not completely solved this problem, in many small towns and villages, buildings are also flat, but the difference with any sim is enormous. In short, that you know your much better than I, since your professional activity is developed in that discipline and mine is very far.

• What is the meaning of each letter of the company "IPACS"?

I've been told that it's just a name.

What is the meaning of each of the letters of the concept "HUD"? (Display where I see in the cockpit: Speed, altitude, heading, etc.)

Heads Up Display. Can be found in multiple instances in the Aerofly FS 2, the F18, F15 and MB339 natively have a heads up display that displays important flight information in your line of sight when looking outside. Then there is the optional green overlay that you can turn on, simulating a heads up display for all of the aircraft, as if you were wearing a helmet. And then there is the flight info bar at the top of the screen that is usually calles just that but sometimes called "HUD" as well.

Regards,
    Jan

• The idea is very impressively, although there are still many technical aspects to discuss.

But I'm afraid there is also a commercial aspect:
    The best business model for Google would be to charge each user by usage time.
    This model is already widespread in commercial software and is increasing dramatically.

I'm not sure we want to have this for our flight sim adventure as well.

Rodeo

• Well, as already stated I'm afraid this is a wrong good idea.

We all agree that the current scenrey depiction in Aerofly FS 2 is poor. The base photos are beautiful, the elevation mesh is quite good, but current sceneries totally lack of 3D buildings and vegetation placement is poor.

Google Earth is locally beautiful when flying approx 2-5'000 ft AGL, typical VFR altitudes, the involved technology is great, but there are currently only tiny places featured, mainly centered around cities and abruptly switching to conventional raw photo projection over a very poor elevation mesh, with a very variable quality depending on the places. It will continue to grow up, but it'll take time.

Examples of nice results when optimal
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/googleearth%202013-05-20%2022-18-18-84.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/googleearth%202013-05-20%2022-24-44-22.jpg]

However, the picture below is typically what you'll get in most places, with probably >95% of Earth not featured with this technology.
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/ScreenShot1116.jpg]

That's also what wou may get when making your own scenery based on FSET-grabbed material, depending on the scenery location and the web service where you grabbed the orthophotos, and if you do it fully automatically without manually reworking the photos.

The big, big work load when doing photoscenery (either when purchasing lawfully orthophotos from official sources or grabbing from the web) is harmonizing the raw material in order to get a consistent and high quality product over a flight region. Most people don't do this essential job, that's why home-made photoscenery quality is usually poor.
    Getting the pictures and compiling them for your sim is jelly bean.

Back to Google Earth technology, here it is explained.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But when you go down to the ground (Jan mentionned hoovering in an helico) it gets totally distorted.
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/googleearth%202013-05-20%2016-49-41-56.jpg]

You will have also side effects like aircraft on tarmacs or even on runways depending on local situation at the time the zone was overflown.
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/googleearth%202013-05-20%2016-52-24-91.jpg]

Abrupt technology border
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/googleearth%202013-05-20%2018-16-24-87.jpg]

Currently, you can fly in Google Earth with existing FSX, or use the in-built simulator mode (GE 8 and earlier), I'd prefer see IPACS working on tools to cover our sceneries with 3D buildings and vegetation based on existing databases, allowing homogeneous scenery quality rendering over a consistent flight region, and not only tiny patches of high details in the middel of nothing.

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Here's a quick test I did just to see the potential of this idea. Google Earth VR is more of a map sim than a flight sim, and the movement can go from zero-to-warp speed with about 3mm of throttle travel, so the control is 'unoptimised' for my big thumbs to say the least, but for me, the potential is there for some time in the future. Obviously as it stands right now it's not a flight sim and isn't meant to be, but the level of detail I think is quite impressive, and this is a piece of software that can take you anywhere whilst taking up only 2.2GB on the hard drive.

At the moment in the rift, the world scale makes Manhattan look like some exquisitely detailed model diorama rather than a real city, but that often happens in VR titles if the stereo image is only slightly too far apart.

I'll put a tenner on a flight sim based on this tech within the next five years.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• Well, you've got an example here of what you can get, it's a nice entertainment for a while...

I'll put a tenner on a flight sim based on this tech within the next five years.

What, a flight simulator working with streaming sceneries? This already exists with Tileproxy, thus if Google was wanting, it would be technically possible to feed in such sceneries (it's only an extruded mesh and textures), but you rely on available detailed zones only and connection speed. I have optic fiber connection at home, and Google Earth is by far not fast enough to enjoy flying above, and still the many drawbacks from Google Earth come with it.
    Moreover, such a scenario could lead to get users paying a regular wage to keep flying...

Purchasing from Google local spots of terrain with consistent quality and integrate them to a sim world engine would make more sense IMO. Local places like airports could be reworked in order to remove disturbing features and straighten-up buildings.

Cheers
    Antoine

Edited 4 times, last by Trespassers: typos (May 30, 2017 at 3:11 PM).

• That looks fantastic, if they could get the cockpit in the right place rather than the little window, that would be really something. I wonder why they haven't taken this further so far.

• Another example of what's available today to stream photorealistic scenery to FSX and P3D:

World Terrain is the successor to Christian Buchner's TileProxy. It's being actively developed by "Macker"

Free download of version 3.04: http://www.hush.software/#products

Beta testers' comments, videos, screenshots, en français:http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=81167&p=1
    [Blocked Image: https://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/700151CenturionSerrePonon1.png]
    Here I am lining up for Neuville (CSV9). Note the FSX weather, traffic and custom addon airport:

Edited once, last by jschall: add screenshot fsx (May 30, 2017 at 4:25 PM).

• Once again, many thanks to:

1º) .- To you, Jan. I already knew in detail, the function of the HUD, what I did not know is its acronym, now I know. And, what surprises me, is the name of IPACS, is not an acronym ?, is a name ?. If so, it is a strange name.

2º) .- Also to you, Rodeo. I'm pretty convinced (like you), that the commercial aspect with Google, will be the most difficult to achieve. You say literally: "The best business model for Google would be to charge each user by usage time". Well, no, I am not willing to pay "for the time of use", but if I would be willing to pay IPACS, certain amounts to be able to fly on those scenarios without flight time limitations. Currently, they are doing FSX / P3D /XP-11 . Can not we do it ourselves (Aerofly FS 2)?

3 º) .- And also to you, Antoine, that once again, you have made a special effort (and very extensive) in documenting your affirmations graphically. However this time, nothing you expose is unknown to me. Since I discovered that flying is possible over 3D images of Google, I have flown quite a bit in its own simulator, I think the oldest one, in which its HUD is digital. The others in which appear certain bodies of airplanes, is unbearable, since it does worse than bad. As a result of having flown a lot, I had already discovered its imperfections in many places (as I mentioned in my previous thread to Jan). But in any case, in Western Europe and America, the immense majority of the places their scenarios, are of an unquestionable quality.

One exception that has astonished me is, for example, Cuba: none of its cities are represented in 3D, not even the capital Havana. Moscow has also surprised me, "everything two-dimensional"!. However, my country, everything is wonderful, even really small towns are in a wonderful 3D. For all this, I can say that I am very pleasantly surprised. And ... my city? ... a marvel in 3D with astonishing precision and detail !.

4º).-Tell me, John,
    Have you made this video? ; if so ,In which you have flown on the Google scenarios, to make that video in VR?. It's the first one I see in VR. And on those scenarios it is amazing the detail of the vision.

I consider it of great interest that you state in your communication, but I have not understood it correctly. Could you please express that in other terms to understand it correctly? .I have a great interest to see developed Google scenarios and be able to fly over them, but with the Aerofly aircraft, (or at least, one or two cockpits) of FS 2).

5).- Thanks also to you jschall, since you always bring to this forum really interesting topics that will make the flight a more complete activity every day, and consequently, we will enjoy more of the pleasure of flying.

I repeat, I do not know how difficult it would be to negotiate with Google to be able to fly on their scenarios, but also taking into account that they will continue to improve the entire planet, it is clear that the future of companies that design flight sims, will be flying over Google scenarios. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO COMPETE WITH THOSE SCENARIOS !.

• Hi Delphin, yes this was a quick recording I did of using Google Earth VR in my rift. The movement controls, using the touch handsets, are more suited to zooming in and out of the map very quickly, but you can get more fine control if you concentrate. I tried to reproduce a flight from Newark to La Guardia over Manhattan, just trying to make it more like the movement of an aircraft (or space craft due to the speed you can fly!). The level of detail is far greater than anything I've seen in a proper flight sim, but it does break down a little when you get really close. However, flying at 500ft and up, the detail is stunning.
    All I was trying to do there was to get a feel for the concept of what might lay ahead in the future for this kind of scenery.

So in Google Earth VR, there are no planes, but you can move around and have some control about how you move. I could even bank in the turns by tilting my head, which was natural to do.

• Thanks John,
    After viewing your video on Manhatttan, (and also on Google 3D images), I have no doubt that the designers of scenarios should pay close attention to the possibility of flying on these scenarios and may forget to program more scenarios with the current tools (although these improve every day). As I have repeatedly said, those scenarios that continue to design, have very little future. That is why I say once more: "ALL THE IMAGINABLE SCENARIOS, HAVE BEEN PERFORMED, AND IN ADDITION, OF AN UNSUPERABLE QUALITY, (AND ... THEY WILL CONTINUE IMPROVING!").

It only depends on how long it takes for some flight sim designers to establish agreements with Google. Will it be 5 years as you would have bet ?. What can we do in such circumstances?. In principle, just "wait and see".

Regards: Delfín

• Hello John,
    After reading your response regarding your video posted to the forum, I have another important question about Google and VR scenarios. It is this:

Keeping in mind that Google scenarios have not been filmed to be seen in VR; you and those who have and uses Oculus or another equivalent, do you see correctly the scenarios of Google in VR ?.

I suppose IPACS programmers will add some special feature to their programming to see it correctly with Oculus, Live, ... in VR. Is there a lot of difference between what is seen in Google scenarios and what is seen in FS 2? .

Logically, it will look better in VR, everything that has been programmed to be seen in VR.

Also for any other user who flies and sees in VR, do you notice notable differences in the question asked above?

• Delfin,

please understand that this (using Google live scenery) is not the path that IPACS is taking for Aerofly FS2. Maybe in 10 years from now when the sceneries are better suited for VR and made better to truly fit into a flight simulator shell, and when internet speeds for everyone won't be a limiting factor, I can certainly see this as a possible "next-gen" solution for a flight simulator, and may even be more common. But for now, flight simulators have to stick with different innovative solutions, like optimizing flight simulation for VR; which is what you see right now in Aerofly FS2.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I'm not sure that Delfin is expecting AFS2 to incorporate this technology in the short term, I think the discussion is more about the whole concept of using online scenery, as Jeff says more like 10 years in the future. Sims will need to develop innovative features going forward though, otherwise where is the incentive for people to buy the latest version.
    I think AFS2 is about as next gen as we can hope for in the present market, and I think it will be at the forefront for this generation of sims once all the features mature.
    I think what Delfin was asking is how the VR Google based scenery compares to traditional methods, so I'll try to answer that.

Keeping in mind that Google scenarios have not been filmed to be seen in VR; you and those who have and uses Oculus or another equivalent, do you see correctly the scenarios of Google in VR ?

I suppose IPACS programmers will add some special feature to their programming to see it correctly with Oculus, Live, ... in VR. Is there a lot of difference between what is seen in Google scenarios and what is seen in FS 2? .

Logically, it will look better in VR, everything that has been programmed to be seen in VR.

The Google Earth VR app is primarily a map and scenery viewer, so its functions are based around zooming in and out, and moving quickly to different parts of the Earth. It's just like normal Google Earth, but in VR it is much more striking. You kind of feel like some giant celestial being who can roam the Earth at will, more Silver Surfer than Beige Cessna.

Because the details on buildings are based on real photos, there is a great diversity and natural feel to how the scenery looks, compared to hand placed generic buildings and autogen. That's why I do believe that the future of flight sims is in here. So, Google Earth works very well in VR and is naturally suited to it.

However, in AFS2 in VR, because the scenery is designed to be flown over in a sim aircraft, the whole experience is more smooth and coherent. We clearly are nowhere near being able to consider live scenery at this time, and AFS2 scenery is/will be the pinnacle of what is possible in a current sim.

Google VR breaks down at very close range as all the trees and buildings are mapped onto rough blocks, whereas traditional scenery is more believable close up.

AFS2 has clearly been designed with VR in mind, and offers the best VR experience in a sim currently imo. Other titles may be ahead on choice of aircraft, but the basic experience of moving through VR space is unmatched I think.

I'd say in a couple of years, when we have 2nd generation VR headsets and AFS2 has added all its features, we will have the best sim experience we've ever had. We'll never need to leave the house again :rolleyes: