Aerofly FS1 “Discus bM” to Aerofly FS2 | How to add it?

• Hello to all. Currently, I have both AFS1 and AFS2.

On Aerofly FS 2, we don’t have any SLS glider to fly.
    Is it possible to add the one, from version 1 to version 2?

I’ve tried to copy it to Aerofly FS 2, airplane’s Documents directory but, it doesn’t show up!
    Is it there a way, to make it usable on Aerofly FS 2; some file/config edit/change?

Kind regards,
    Xanix

Kind regards to all,

Xanix

• Official Post

I'm sorry but the aircraft from FS1 will not work in FS2. There were a lot of changes made to the core of the system.

Aerofly FS 2 does have two gliders to fly though.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Official Post

I'm also missing the Discus bM. It was great fun to be able to start without a winch. That winch is also kinda missing :D
    We have a Discus in our flying club (without an engine) and I really enjoy flying it.

From the outside, no it's not possible. The Discus model will need to be updated to the latest requirements, then exported with the Aerofly FS 2 SDK. To my knowledge the model requires quite a bit of work so it doesn't look like we will get the Discus that soon.
    I'm going to try convince the headquaters that we need more gliders but I already know their answer: they just don't sell as well as airliners or even GA aircraft.

Regards,
    Jan

• I wonder if the changes in the FDM, just like the changes in weather effects, namely turbulence and variability which I felt were better reproduced in AEFS1, result from a simplification of the original FDM.

I am disappointed for instance with the prop effects, namely on how they reflect on yaw ( they practically don't ) and are present mainly in rolling moments. I also find the ground physics and for instance touchdown is too tame, no matter with what v/s you touchdown, the aircraft mostly staying without any bouncing, no damage, nothing like we had in AEFS1...

Limited by Main Thread...

• I don't know how long it's been since you had Aerofly 1 installed, but I suspect that when you did, you probably had moved the simulation realism setting to high. Aerofly FS 2 so far has no such setting.

Aerofly FS 1 also had (I believe) superior clouds (they had a wider coverage area, better color variation etc) and "real" water rather than relying on water photo textures.

You also had some nice cloud and or wind weather presets. Not to mention being able to show the windfield in the simulation, which worked nicely for gliders.

What this tells me though, is that Ipacs has already shown the technical ability to create such features, and we just have to be patient while FS 2 versions (or alternatives) make it to the sim.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited 2 times, last by HiFlyer (May 29, 2017 at 3:18 AM).

• I don't know how long it's been since you had Aerofly 1 installed, but I suspect that when you did, you probably had moved the simulation realism setting to high. Aerofly FS 2 so far has no such setting.

Aerofly FS 1 also had (I believe) superior clouds (they had a wider coverage area, better color variation etc) and "real" water rather than relying on water photo textures.

You also had some nice cloud and or wind weather presets. Not to mention being able to show the windfield in the simulation, which worked nicely for gliders.

What this tells me though, is that Ipacs has already shown the technical ability to create such features, and we just have to be patient while FS 2 versions (or alternatives) make it to the sim.

I see your point, but I also fear that the formidable performance we now have in AEFS2, and isn't anyway comparable to what I had in AEFS1 can be justified not only by better / optimized use of the processing power of modern GPUs, but also due to a cut in the complexity of the weather, systems and even flight dynamics modeling simulation. Damage modeling also suffered, IMO, a significant simplification.

I would like to be told I'm wrong by the developers, but I do miss the feel of the aircraft in some aspects as they felt in AEFS1 ( only the default, because I never bought the add-ons ) as well as some weather effects, mainly turbulence, but also ridge lift.

• Damage modeling? Don't get me started! Every time I have ever mentioned damage modeling at certain forums, the old guard spit out their cigars, take off their monocles and start screaming about heresy, walrus mustaches bristling! :D

This is not a game, this is a simulation! Egad! Harumph!!!

Anyway, I was interested enough to reinstall Aerofly 1 for testing, and yes the clouds definitely had a more solid appearance though their draw distance was not all that much wider.

Changing the simulation rate from highest to lowest in AF1 had zero fps effect on my system, nor did messing with the clouds and wind settings. In fact, no matter what I did, including maxing out the antialiasing at 8x, the sim seemed pretty much locked at 100 to 120fps.

My gut feeling is that AF2 is simply faster, period.

Beyond that, it's hard to come to any reliable seeming conclusions. (other than that it's possible to overthink these things, and it's probably better for one's sanity to just keep an eye open and see what happens)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I'm sorry but the aircraft from FS1 will not work in FS2. There were a lot of changes made to the core of the system.

Aerofly FS 2 does have two gliders to fly though.

Hello. That’s not what I wanted to read but, at least, I know is not a “user” error; just not possible.

Thanks’ and regards.
    Xanix.

Kind regards to all,

Xanix

• I'm also missing the Discus bM. It was great fun to be able to start without a winch. That winch is also kinda missing :D
    We have a Discus in our flying club (without an engine) and I really enjoy flying it.

From the outside, no it's not possible. The Discus model will need to be updated to the latest requirements, then exported with the Aerofly FS 2 SDK. To my knowledge the model requires quite a bit of work so it doesn't look like we will get the Discus that soon.
    I'm going to try convince the headquaters that we need more gliders but I already know their answer: they just don't sell as well as airliners or even GA aircraft.

Regards,
    Jan

My friend; I would gladly pay 25 Euros, for a “good” Schempp-Hirth’s Arcus M/E.

https://www.schempp-hirth.com/en/sailplanes/arcus/arcus-m.html
    https://www.schempp-hirth.com/en/sailplanes/arcus/arcus-e.html

There’s something about two seats gliders that I find special…

Well; as me, there’s more sailplanes fans that would love to fly them on AFS2 and the superb, sceneries.
    Germany and Switzerland are heavens for gliders users; for real or simulated.

I’m sure new/more gliders would attract, a new bunch of buyers/users of AFS2.

Kind regards,
    Xanix

*A simple Duo Discus XLT would make me very, very happy!

Kind regards to all,

Xanix

• I'm going to try convince the headquaters that we need more gliders but I already know their answer: they just don't sell as well as airliners or even GA aircraft.

Regards,
    Jan

I can imagine that's true, since the Glider community still gravitates towards Condor. Especially with Condor V2 starting to be a real possibility.

BUT, I still think Ipacs can win the Condor Community if they try with 5 good gliders and well modelled thermals. Simplly because VR wins.

• BUT, I still think Ipacs can win the Condor Community if they try with 5 good gliders and well modelled thermals. Simplly because VR wins.

Might have to be a third party that goes after that market. Probably need a working winch, an Ai towplane and maybe only a few designated areas where the winds/thermals etc can be mapped out extensively......

Is there such a thing as a famous gliding area?

Also might be good to vary it up, especially from the VR perspective with a hang glider or two, and maybe a parasail.

Wingsuit?

Devons rig

• I can imagine that's true, since the Glider community still gravitates towards Condor. Especially with Condor V2 starting to be a real possibility.

BUT, I still think Ipacs can win the Condor Community if they try with 5 good gliders and well modelled thermals. Simplly because VR wins.

The complexity of both Condorsoaring and SilentWings soaring simulators in terms of modelling of the atmospheric effects / characteristics important to simulate soaring are incomparably higher than what the model used in a generic flight simulator like AEFS2 offers...

AEFS has a small team behind, concentrating already in a certainly long list of todo items, so, this task, followed in different approaches by SilentWings and Condorsoaring ( btw. SW also has progress towards a v2 ! ), is certainly not going to happen in the next years, if ever, so, I as a glider pilot will keep choosing either SW or Condor. I use SW with medium resolution satellite scenery and it's very good to feed the algorithm in which thermal ( and other kinds of lift , etc... ) is modelled and Condor when I want to fly online with other virtual glider pilots - usually colleagues of mine all around the World during their low seasons...

• Official Post

Hi every one,
    I feel like this thread has gone a little off topic and exploded a bit into gliding simulation in the Aerofly FS 2 but I'm ok with that :D

More gliders
    I've also a quite a bit of experience in the Duo Discus (no XLT or T though), in fact I just flew it yesterday and really enjoyed it. I've also been sitting in the rear seat of the Arcus M glider for about 15h accumulative. Those two are certainly very attractive gliders and a lot of current Condor users are looking for a replacement I think. But right now the weather simulation just isn't quite good enough and also there isn't any multiplayer for gliding competitions in the Aerofly FS 2 yet. If we had those things, together with more European gliding locations (more of the Alps, more of Germany and France, Great Brittain, etc.) it would make quite an attractive gliding simulator.
    Right now there is to much that holds off glider pilots and due to that there isn't as much desire for more gliders, once we have a good thermal simulation and especially a good wind simulation in the mountains, then more glider pilots would be attracted to the sim and more gliders would certainly make more sense.

Performance
    For me the performance in Switzerland feels about the same in Aerofly FS 1 and 2... I still have my 60FPS as before, now I can click things and have significant system depth though.

Flight model
    Flight model is still comparable, wasn't changed a lot... Only thing is that I've redone the ASG 29 glider setup, so it feels a lot different now. I'm not overly happy with the way the aircraft responds to the flaps at the moment (could use some fine tuning...) but in general it feels a lot more like our ASW28-18m (same fuselage and tail, similar wing geometry and generally very similar aircaft).

Wind model

The wind model is certainly different, the Aerofly FS 1 had is flaws and the Aerofly FS 2 has other flaws. Overall the wind in the Aerofly FS 2 is more plausible but it doesn't create that much updraft in front of a mountain. So with the lack of good thermals it's more difficult to stay airborne with a glider in Aerofly FS 2. But the 250km/h winds at the top of the ridges are at least gone in the Aerofly FS 2, or at least I haven't had them with that little wind settings. So Aerofly FS 2 wind: more physically accurate but the wind/thermal model is not complete and needs a lot more depth to it, its just too simple, to articifial. I'm sure we'll overhaul it at some point.

Clouds
    I don't enjoy them in either simulator, in fact I was never convinced about the clouds in any simulator. DCS world's cumulus clouds look relativly ok, not brilliant but plausible. But I've not come across a cumulus cloud that looks like the real ones in any of the sims I've seen: X-Plane, Condor, Aerofly, Flight Gear, DCS, IL2, FSX with REX softclouds or Active Sky Next, P3D, FSW and other FSX based sims and others. None of them really got me jumping to my screen yelling: wow I need to have those clouds, they look 99% accurate. Sure with good textures you get clouds that look okay but then they are still too transparent.

I want to see this in the Aerofly:
    - isolated clouds with good thermals underneath
    - opaque sharp tops
    - clear dark blue sky above clouds
    - whiteish fog underneath cloud height
    - dying cloud remains
    - flat and soft cloud base, a little bit higher in the center than at the edges, nice homogeneous gray, darker at the center
    - rotating edges and overall tendency to rotate towards leeward side, loosing structure towards leeward side and falling down, dispersing and disintegrating
    - shadows on ground and on my airplane (it looks so cool to see the cloud shadows passing over the wings, love it)

And eventually I'd also like to see these monsters:

I'd actually be scared to fly into those if I saw them enroute. But I'd also enjoy flying in the shadow of that cloud at 30000ft, just close enough to admire the shear size but well enough away from all the nasty turbulence, up/downdrafts inside.

Regards,
    Jan

• Well, I think everyone wants clouds like that, but the question that nobody has been able to answer is.... how do you do it? :(

I suspect that if whole companies dedicated to nothing but creating clouds in flight sims have not been able create these features after all these years, then I'm probably not going to see very much of it in Aerofly, either. You guys simply have too much other stuff on your plate.

The only real questions for sims and clouds nowadays seems to be which to choose: Volumetric or billboards.

Devons rig