Some questions on VR

• I looked at AFS2 with an Oculus Rift and it is astonishing to fly in VR once you get into it.
    I thought the resolution a little low - normally I run at 2560x1600 .
    But when I start Steam and run AFS2 as an Oculus "other" app, it goes to a smaller split window.

Is there a way to go to a higher resolution?

Also, is there support for the Oculus controllers?
    I'd love to be able to get my hands on the F-15 stick and throttles :)

• Official Post

If your PC can handle it set the "Render Scale Factor" to 2.00 (or less if you have performance issues). This is a setting under Virtual Reality on the settings menu. This will provide very sharp image in VR mode.

The Oculus Touch controllers are supported in Aerofly FS2 but currently only as preliminary support. This will improve in future updates.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thanks for that, Jeff.
    I just tried the F-18 down some Swiss valleys and it is superb.
    The cockpit truly is Virtually Real - scratches and worn paint!? :cool:
    Looking forward to further developments, great job so far.

• Official Post

Thanks for that, Jeff.
    I just tried the F-18 down some Swiss valleys and it is superb.
    The cockpit truly is Virtually Real - scratches and worn paint!? :cool:
    Looking forward to further developments, great job so far.

It will only get better from here :)

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Official Post

Well, I'd say 'slightly sharper' because things never are 'very sharp' using the Rift. ;)

Well, that opinion is subjective. It's very sharp on 2.00 for me. And a world of difference between 1.00 and 2.00 is confirmed on the Oculus Rift.

Regards,

Jeff

• Well, I'd say 'slightly sharper' because things never are 'very sharp' using the Rift. ;)

I have the Rift on loan, so have no yardstick to compare.
    Things certainly are not as sharp as my 2D 2056x1600 screen, despite the alleged 2160 x 1200 claimed by Oculus!

But for now, I am blown away by the VR experience.
    I am here because of it.
    Can life ever go back to flatscreen?? :)

• But for now, I am blown away by the VR experience.
    I am here because of it.

Still breaking out in big smiles occasionally while flying and looking around? I know I still do. :D

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I have to rest my face muscles every half hour... :)
    It brings situational awareness to the simulated world for the first time; I cannot wait to try a helicopter!
    Also, the sense of scale - hard to describe, but on the ground the F-18 in spot view gives me exactly the walkaround feeling I get at an airshow.

• Well, that opinion is subjective. It's very sharp on 2.00 for me. And a world of difference between 1.00 and 2.00 is confirmed on the Oculus Rift.

At 1.5 it's ok, but at 2 I can read the PFD and ND in the 747 cockpits clearly enough to make them fully useful tools.

Flying with a DK2, though have been seriously looking at a CV1 this week. I've sprung for a 1080TI, partly so I can run at 2.00 with more confidence (it works on my ftx 970, but not quite as smooth as I'd like).

Anyone flying with a. Vive?

• I have the Rift on loan, so have no yardstick to compare.
    Things certainly are not as sharp as my 2D 2056x1600 screen, despite the alleged 2160 x 1200 claimed by Oculus!

I am here because of it.

Yes, well, the fact that the Rift doesn't even come close to the sharpness of a 2D screen (even with RSF at 2.0) doesn't mean it isn't good! ;) I simply can't go back to 2D, no matter what. ;)

• When you are flying along one time, try standing up and looking around. By sticking your head up through the canopy you can get a bug's eye view stuck on the outside of the wings, and even do a bit of wing walking if you have the space. Resolution is the rift's main weakness; it's ok but could be better, but we will have to wait for CV2 to get that fixed.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• Can anyone tell me what this invasion of advertising means in this forum sent by member "Richardmop"?

Just another spammer. I banned him and removed the posts. We have been getting attacked a lot lately. Just report it as soon as you see it so that I can get it under control as fast as possible.

Regards,

Jeff

• I have the Rift on loan, so have no yardstick to compare.

I am here because of it.

Not really. I´m flying real planes like Cessna, Piper, Robin, biplanes and Gliders, and now you can use the sim for traffic pattern and landing training. It´s near by reality. You can train your crosswind abilities, aerobatic and so on. I like it. Before, with flatscreen, this was not possible in this emmersive and real feel way.

• VR will make helicopter truely shine.

Really looking forward to a helicopter.

In 2D they are the best way of exploring any nice scenery addons.

So a "lite" model would do that job.

Later on... In VR you will have, for the first time, situational awareness as well.

Imagine if a hi-res VR headset arrived at the same time!

You'd need to pry me out of there with a crowbar. :)

• Is there a consensus that running a 1080 and Oculus with RSF at 2 and everything on ultra, including shadow on insane produces no stutter?

I'm curious, because if it does, we're doing something wrong. We're running ultra, not insane shadows, RSF 1.5 and there is some stutter in parts of California and certainly in NYC. It's not really bad at all, minimal, but I wouldn't call it "no stutter" either.

On the other hand I have no problem reading the gauges, getting closer if I have to.

I've tried increasing both, it didn't produce a significantly better visual experience, to me, but it seemed to increased stutter.

There are other almost imperceptible artifacts I noticed if developpers are interested in tech feedback. On the other hand, I'm suspicious of our setup because of the floating trees which seems a rare issue.

Michael