Some questions on VR

• I run a 1080Ti overclocked card, and I can't run New York with insane shadows and SS set to 2 without some minor stutters. I leave the shadows set at the lowest setting and then I am pretty much stutter free except for a very rare "jump" now and again.

• ussiowa,

Just what are the specs of the PC you are testing? Which CPU (BTW, I found stuttering with HT enabled) and how many cores at what overclocked frequency (needs to be 4.2 Ghz or so)? What speed RAM and how much, FS2 and scenery should be on an SSD, which video card and what driver set?

I also suggest you use MSI Afterburner with FPS display to observe and retest.

Dave

• ussiowa,

Just what are the specs of the PC you are testing? Which CPU (BTW, I found stuttering with HT enabled) and how many cores at what overclocked frequency (needs to be 4.2 Ghz or so)? What speed RAM and how much, FS2 and scenery should be on an SSD, which video card and what driver set?

I also suggest you use MSI Afterburner with FPS display to observe and retest.

Dave

Lenovo ideacentre Y900-34ISZ with Intel core I7 6400K 4GHz, 24GB RAM, NVidia GEForce GTX 1080 Driver (latest) 22.21.13.8205, Window10 Home, 1TB HD Oculus CV1; OpenGL 4.4 same driver number.

I'm not the machine expert, so I'll run that by Alex to see what he says. I don't know what speed RAM, I'm not sure we run all the data from SSD (I believe so), I don't know what HT is, and I know we overclocked.

Will look into afterburner.

Thanks

Michael

• Michael,

HT = Hyperthreading and is an Intel technique to double the number of logical (not physical) processors. It is a BIOS setting and would be detected by running Task Manager and on the Performance Tab, bring up the Resource Monitor (at the bottom of the page) and seeing how many CPU graphs you have - if you see 8 CPUs, HT is enabled - only 4 CPUs, then HT is disabled.

The other issue is the Nvidia 1080 driver set - it should be a number like 385.12 - and is found by bringing up the Nvidia Control Panel and checking Help->System Information.

Another area that can cause issues is CPU throttling - in the Nvidia Control Panel, make sure you have "Prefer maximum performance" set for Power Management Mode.

Using RSF set to 1.5 or so should give you steady results except in high building density areas. You have a reasonably powerful PC there.

Edited 2 times, last by whitav8 (August 4, 2017 at 3:49 PM).