27 New Screenshots of IPACS/Orbx new Meigs Field scenery pack

• JV posted this last night.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/13…comment-1208514

"There is so much to see and explore in this scenery. Here's just a taste, but I won't give everything away.

Enjoy!"

Just 3 of the 27 images. The new Ferris Wheel on the Navy Pier (animated in AFS2) is the number one tourist attraction in Chicago. The football stadium in the 3rd screenshot is the famed Soldiers Field, dating back to 1924, was the home of the Army/Navy Football game rivalry for many years.

Regards,

Ray

• With 12,000 km2 of spot-on photo scenery detail with a half gzillion new autogen buildings and scenery/trees stretching from Milwaukee, WI to Gary, IN gets me to wondering what the dozen or so major airport will look like. There are eight with Federal Control Towers, and a dozen or more major ones.

Do you think most of them will be presented at the Orbx Global Airport level, which is Lite for Orbx, but somewhat better than FSX and usually include some animations and people flow? Surely there will be more than the single runway at Meigs for landings and takeoffs in this new flying area. Maybe the unmentioned scenery area airport detail is intended to be the next big surprise.

In any case, we should be able to find out for sure during the demos at FlightSimCon 2017 June 10th. That is only a few days away and I am eager to see some video showing off the Orbx intro for Aerofly FS2 in the USA.

I just can't imagine having this 100 mile stretch of scenery without more than a few airports, that would not make sense in any simulation. Hmmm.

Do you suppose IPACS has been working away on a new Chicago area DLC and will spring it on us next week? This could include the area JV divulged only yesterday and possibly a much larger area. Wow, wouldn't that be a mind blower.

Your thoughts?

Regards,

Ray

• Your thoughts?

Regards,

Ray

I wouldn't want to guess at which airports will be included in the ORBX Meigs scenery, other than the obvious (Meigs, Midway, O'Hare). There will probably be several others, Mitchell (Milwaukee) being one of them. I don't think we will see an IPACS DLC region around Chicago, at least not at this time. I am curious as to what the IPACS scenery guys have up their sleeves for their next region though; there have been no hints that I know of. We do know the GeoConvert tool is coming soon; hopefully real soon. Perhaps that's what they are working on right now.

Ken

• Official Post

Do you suppose IPACS has been working away on a new Chicago area DLC and will spring it on us next week? This could include the area JV divulged only yesterday and possibly a much larger area. Wow, wouldn't that be a mind blower.

It's not IPACS' job to fill the area around every new scenery that comes up. That would require a lot of work and they'd just chase after every add on developer, that is not a permanent solution. They might add Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin at some point but there primary focus right now could be somewhere else. What I'm trying to say is they shouldn't feel responsible, in this case they might do it because it would be a great "welcome to Aerofly".

Chicago Midway is already relatively big but O'Hare International Airport is huge. Just imagine how much work that airport alone will cost... (the number or runways, taxiways, terminals is quite high)

Regards,
    Jan

• Chicago Midway is already relatively big but O'Hare International Airport is huge. Just imagine how much work that airport alone will cost... (the number or runways, taxiways, terminals is quite high)

Regards,
    Jan

While O'Hare is truly huge with lots of runways all over the place, the DLC in New York has KJFK, LaGuardia, and Newark with minimal gates and details. Maybe KORD could be done to that level .

I'm guessing maybe a half dozen airports will come with the new Meigs scenery pack. Surely Gary, IN (Chicago International) will be included for the Southern border and Milwaukee (Gen. Mitchell) for the Northern border. There are at least 4 others worthy of being included in the fray, if not all of them.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Ray

• Official Post

While O'Hare is truly huge with lots of runways all over the place, the DLC in New York has KJFK, LaGuardia, and Newark with minimal gates and details. Maybe KORD could be done to that level .

I'm guessing maybe a half dozen airports will come with the new Meigs scenery pack. Surely Gary, IN (Chicago International) will be included for the Southern border and Milwaukee (Gen. Mitchell) for the Northern border. There are at least 4 others worthy of being included in the fray, if not all of them.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Ray

Ray, you are getting way ahead of yourself here, the Meigs Field scenery hasn't even been released yet. All mentioned so far regarding a service pack is that a larger area will be covered with autogen and aerial imagery in a future release. There is no mention about additional airports yet.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Ray, you are getting way ahead of yourself here, the Meigs Field scenery hasn't even been released yet. All mentioned so far regarding a service pack is that a larger area will be covered with autogen and aerial imagery in a future release. There is no mention about additional airports yet.

So true. The demo is scheduled Saturday (3 days from now) at FlightSimCon 2017 and release 5 days later. JV has generally defined the 12,000 km2 expanded area on the Orbx website with screenshots, however none of the existing airports have been discussed. My question is what use would all that detailed scenery be if we can't takeoff and land in it?

Just naturally curious, especially when stated this is an IPACS/Orbx collaboration. Hopefully, all will be shown on Saturday in VR.

Regards,

Ray

• My question is what use would all that detailed scenery be if we can't takeoff and land in it?

Well, there's Meigs Field, that's a perfect place to perform local flights, just like in the good old early days of Flight Simulator.

For the first time there will be a flight region with a global autogen coverage, and not only tiny local eye candies like a city center or aerodrome with naked photo ground and coarsely sprayed trees all around.

The concept of modular platform is still unclear to me in Aerofly FS2, especially due to the "all in one project" approach.
    I don't understand yet how several add-ons are supposed to cohabit in a same region, how to handle priorities, create excludes, genetate vectors, etc.

It would be interesting to have somebody else releasing for instance O'hare with its own ground photo coverage and 3D features (buildings, streets, vegetation, power lines, lights, ground traffic, etc.), totally ìndependant from the Orbx Illinois scenery, and see how they are supposed to cohabit when both are installed simultaneously.

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Antoine: There is no priority system right now, as there is no need for it at this point. However we will of course implement one, if that is required. Aerofly is not working like FSX used to, so you have to think differently. Using the SDK you can create your own 'sceneries', by sceneries this means either a runway, airport buildings, new aerial images or even a complete city or possibly a big coverage with generic buildings. If two designers decide on creating the same airport or very close airport, Aerofly simply loads both.

We have decided not to address this topic at the current time, as we simply have not that many 3rd party addon developers. Orbx is the first one and we will see from there what else is going to come.

Please keep in mind, Aerofly is an evolving platform, we will always improve and enhance our engine, if there is need to.

The upcoming Orbx LOWI airport shows you what you can do with the SDK. Anything Orbx has done here can be done by anybody else as well.

• (I didn't find a dedicated Innsbruck screenshot thread in the hurry)

Hi everyone,

I went to Steam and got Innsbruck today, did the approach for RWY08 which was very nice :D
    On final an intercity express train (ICE) crossed in front of me, it was amazing!
    Got to the terminal and saw all the moving traffic and animations, yes OrbX brought the Aerofly to a whole new level and shows off what the Aerofly engine is capable of. Now I'm sitting here in my developer version of the Aerofly FS 2, opened the windows to let some fresh air in :D
    (if you look very carefully you might just spot a couple new features of the A320)

The night lighting is also very nice, now that I've seen it can be done I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more city lights for the existing Aerofly regions.

And for the guy who asked if that was our Q400 parked... no but he kinda took my spot :D

Regards,
    Jan

• D
    Jan, I read this post quickly and I missed which plane you flew into LOWI 08. Maybe the long Awaited Q400? More closeup interior pics of all those developer level planes you are flying, please.

Are you testing anything that lands on a white H?

Regards,
    Ray

• (I didn't find a dedicated Innsbruck screenshot thread in the hurry)

(if you look very carefully you might just spot a couple new features of the A320)

Jan

Nope, I can't find anything new in the A320 cockpit from my non-developer seat here , other than the opened pilot's window. Is that what we are looking to find?

I looked close, but evidently not close enough to spot any instrument changes.

Can you give us a hint?

Regards,
    Ray

• Downloading LOWI myself...

I just installed Swiss and LOWI... No space for the additional USA stuff, and really not interested in the other side of the pond... rather have European sceneries, specially for Portugal and Spain !!!

Limited by Main Thread...

• Official Post

Nope, I can't find anything new in the A320 cockpit from my non-developer seat here , other than the opened pilot's window. Is that what we are looking to find?

I looked close, but evidently not close enough to spot any instrument changes.

Can you give us a hint?

Regards,
    Ray

It's more about what you see on the existing displays. You'll need to be an Airbus fan to spot those changes probably. On the screenshot you only see very few of them, not that easy.

• It's more about what you see on the existing displays. You'll need to be an Airbus fan to spot those changes probably. On the screenshot you only see very few of them, not that easy.

Jan,

How about some more airplane screenshots from the developers desk? Any videos possible?

Regards,
    Ray

• Official Post

Jan,

How about some more airplane screenshots from the developers desk? Any videos possible?

Regards,
    Ray

We're still working on the turboprop engine of the Q400 and that affects the sound, so we can't really make a video of the Q400 at the moment (with the engine display being at the center of the cockpit and all). Or I'd have to clearly mark the video as work in progress which always somewhat spoils the fun :D

I know you guys are hungry for more screenshots especially cause I mentioned I might upload some.
    Would you be interested in seeing screenshots of the upcoming autopilot update as well or just the Q400? (What a rhetorical question)

Regards,
    Jan

• We're still working on the turboprop engine of the Q400 and that affects the sound, so we can't really make a video of the Q400 at the moment (with the engine display being at the center of the cockpit and all). Or I'd have to clearly mark the video as work in progress which always somewhat spoils the fun :D

I know you guys are hungry for more screenshots especially cause I mentioned I might upload some.
    Would you be interested in seeing screenshots of the upcoming autopilot update as well or just the Q400? (What a rhetorical question)

Regards,
    Jan

I think it is fair to say, I am interested in an early look at anything that is being worked on. Most interested in the Lear and A320, but sure do miss have a helicopter. How about that BOB like guy or Avatar for walking around the ramps and checking out all this new scenery? Anybody working on that one?

Regards,
    Ray

• Would you be interested in seeing screenshots of the upcoming autopilot update as well or just the Q400? (What a rhetorical question)

Rhetorical indeed. Give us those screenies! ;)