New Zealand Scenery Campaign

• I've been a NZ fan for ages and would give :thumbup::thumbup:for this. LINZ is good quality, I tried a few tiles around Auckland in AeroflyFS2 time ago, which looked good but would require color corrections, too. BTW, there is a complete LINZ-based NZ-photoscenery available for X-Plane (Lyndiman NZ, not available for download but via Torrents).

As a sidenote: The freeware list has not been abandoned, but I am ill right now. Will continue as soon as I feel better.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Hi Kloot,

That would be great. Perhaps focus on the level 9 tile that encloses the airport? I'll take care of everything within the airport boundaries.

Thanks,

Karl

Looks like IZ0JUB has the cultivation under control :thumbup:

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• It was a tough task for me to remove all those voids in the New Zeeland elevation data.

They are caused by irregular reflections and shadowing of the Radar beams.

If those voids are not removed, each white dot will produce a pilar up to the sky.

After interpolation:

color coded (only for visualisation):

Cheers, Thomas

Edited 3 times, last by TomSimMuc (January 15, 2020 at 9:37 AM).

• Getting started on NZCH this morning (been traveling all week). My goal for the weekend is to have the airport surfaces completed and textured such that it is "flyable." If anyone is interested in having a look at incremental milestones, let me know and I'll provide a link. -Karl

• Getting started on NZCH this morning (been traveling all week). My goal for the weekend is to have the airport surfaces completed and textured such that it is "flyable." If anyone is interested in having a look at incremental milestones, let me know and I'll provide a link. -Karl

Still ill, no flying, but I might join the testing later. Anyway, this is GREAT news.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I've been a NZ fan for ages and would give :thumbup::thumbup:for this. LINZ is good quality, I tried a few tiles around Auckland in AeroflyFS2 time ago, which looked good but would require color corrections, too. BTW, there is a complete LINZ-based NZ-photoscenery available for X-Plane (Lyndiman NZ, not available for download but via Torrents).

As a sidenote: The freeware list has not been abandoned, but I am ill right now. Will continue as soon as I feel better.

Kind regards, Michael

I really wonder what happened to Toprob and his NZ kickstarter.......?

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Robin Corn has health and some other personal issues atm.

I know he will make time for AFS2 when able.

At the very least, he has done much work in older sims for the area, which surely could help the present effort in some way.

Anyhow, this is all GREAT news.

I would agree with an earlier post that Queenstown would make an excellent companion for Christchurch, just down the road and wonderful VFR environment.

• I'll just check-in here. At the moment my brother and I are alternating two-week shifts as my mother needs full time care. There's no Internet here, so I'm stuck with mobile data:(

I have made some progress with the AFS2 version of Real New Zealand Christchurch, but I'm not sure when I can get back to this.

I have done experimental work on the Southern Alps, and the Coromandel Peninsula, using LINZ data - - including 5 metre elevation data where available. For my purposes, LINZ is the only real option, because of their generous licensing. A long time ago I supplied IPACS with the NZ elevation data, and they did the mesh conversion. Now, of course, we are able to do this ourselves.

I still need to do some work figuring put how to get the best out of the aerial images, so far I've just been using the same imagery I built for Prepar3d, but it loses something in the translation... X-plane normally just needs a gamma correction, but AFS2 is a bit trickier.

I'm not sure what early screenshot I've made available online, I'll have a look and post some links if I can.

Anyway, I would be keen to help with A NZ-wide project, although I'm not sure how much time I can give with things as they are.

I still have hopes of releasing a payware Christchurch, this is high on my list. However this could be the airport only if there was an existing base - so far this is a chicken and egg thing, releasing the Christchurch scenery with the same coverage as the Prepar3d version is not an ideal solution, with nothing but default everywhere else.

EDIT sorry about the autocorrect errors, I'm too old to type on a phone.

I forgot about Wellington, another area I've been working on, again with a 5 metre mesh.

Edited once, last by Toprob (January 18, 2020 at 11:03 PM).

• Rob, I think, if you could make/convert NZCH and NZWN as payware addons and support the project in general with the background about your country (do things look right?) this would be certainly a gift for the AeroflyFS2 community. Plus, it would overcome the chicken-egg-issue and lay ground for more expansions.

I could add some simple FSCloudport airports just to give people some places to take off from. I already provided a very basic FSC NZAA time ago.

Kind regards, Michael