Geoconvert tool in June?

• Official Post

The number of responses you provide just to calm the impatient amongst us, like me. IPACS should give you a medal. Well we do appreciate it too Jeff.

I'm very passionate about this product. And trust me here, I want stuff yesterday also so I really do understand :)

Thank you though Phil :)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Good evening,

I followed the tutorial and downloaded FS Earth Tiles 1.03 Beta but wehen I open it I cannot see a map. It just says requested.

Edit: found it: I had to replace the ini file...

But its somehow missing in the Wiki that you have to copy the ini file into the FS Earth TIles folder if I am not mistaken.

• Good evening,

I followed the tutorial and downloaded FS Earth Tiles 1.03 Beta but wehen I open it I cannot see a map. It just says requested.

Edit: found it: I had to replace the ini file...

But its somehow missing in the Wiki that you have to copy the ini file into the FS Earth TIles folder if I am not mistaken.

Mention of the ini file is noted in the prerequisites. Our concern here is with the GeoConvert tool itself so we expect someone will have basic knowledge of FSET as there is a ton of information on the web to explain that tool in detail.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I have created my first FS EARTH TIles BMP files and they are stored in the work folder.

Now I am looking for the TMC file. It is menbtioned in the tutorial that there is an example TMC file but its not mentioned what name the example file has.

Looking around in the SDK folders I found: content_converter_config.TMC which looks similar but when opened doesn`t really match the screenshot.

The screenshot file is named config-region-fallon.tmc but that one I cant find anywhere. I guess this is the example one.

Should I manually input the structure from:

https://www.aerofly.com/aerofly_fs_2/d…cenery_creation

and then input my own filename and coordinates or is there a template available?

Regards,

Stefan

• The sample file will be released with the GeoConvert tool. It will be easier to just use a sample file and edit it accordingly. The structure will look like this though.

Hint- it's actually a sample TMC file :)

<[file][][]

<[tmcolormap_regions][][]

<[bool] [write_ttc_files][true]>

<[string8][folder_destination_ttc][./scenery/images/]>

<[bool] [always_overwrite][true]>

<[list][region_list][]
    <[tmcolormap_region][element][0]

<[uint32] [level] [9]>

<[vector2_float64] [lonlat_min] [-81.84 24.52]>

<[vector2_float64] [lonlat_max] [-81.71 24.60]>

>

<[uint32] [level] [11]>

>

<[uint32] [level] [12]>

>

<[uint32] [level] [13]>

>

<[uint32] [level] [14]>

>

>

>

>

Regards,

Jeff

• I don't quite understand the concept of "level" in .TMC files.

The tutorial says "You can manually add levels up to level 14, normally beginning at level 9. This is your resolution at different flight levels seen in the sim."

I am confused because this is not the same as the resolution of the image made from FSET.

For example, if I made an image from FSET with resolution of 50cm per pixel, it seems that I can assign it different levels from 9 to 14 in the .TMC file. Does this mean level 9 will look lower resolution and level 14 will look higher resolution despite the original resolution of 50cm? Or does it mean the priority of each level to be shown during the flight? For example, if there are 2 levels of different areas, only the high level of the overlapping areas will be shown?

• Official Post

Here are a couple of screenshots showing some alpha blending techniques along with the GeoConvert tool. These shots are taken flying out of Marathon International Airport near Key West.

Regards,

Jeff

• Official Post

Our close beta testers have provided us with a little bit more feedback that we would like to incorporate next week. Those are easy fixes to implement, so we might be able to publish GeoConvert next week.

Keep in mind: GeoConvert is a tool we also use internally, user friendlyness is not a high priority, so to use this tool, you have to read the Wiki and do experiments its not just a plug and play solution.

• is anyone gonna upload what they have made?

i'm wondering about this too. These will be big files and i don't think Ipacs will host them for copyright reasons. Anyone got a corporate 1TB dropbox account they want to contribute to the fs2 community? Where's kim dot com when you need him?

• is anyone gonna upload what they have made?

I do hope so because the tool looks to complicated for me. I also am in this hobby to fly, not to create scenery myself. ;) It is nice to have the option though: if no one will create scenery for my home country or Norway I might give it a try anyway. But I certainly won't be the first to download the tool. Besides, I like scenery with autogen and airports. ;)

• Would be great if
    I could try some scenery myself before playing with the convert tool. Is there any way to have some scenery uploaded to wetransfer or something.

Tnx!

I am sure that will be possible as soon as the tool has been available for a few days.

• Official Post

Would be great if
    I could try some scenery myself before playing with the convert tool. Is there any way to have some scenery uploaded to wetransfer or something.

Tnx!

I'm afraid due to copyright issues of the satellite images it won't be possible to share the scenery legally, at least not outside of the US.

It may be ok for personal usage only, I'm not really sure.

Regards,

Jan

• Official Post

Gentlemen,

the entire scenery creation process is truly fairly simple and straight forward if you carefully follow the tutorial on the Wiki.

For making high quality scenery spending an hour going through a rather easy process should be worth it for many of you out there.

Regards,

Jeff

• I will have to take a much closer look when the tool arrives, since there seems to be some building apprehension out there about the complexity of the process. If I can do it, anyone can! :)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Official Post

I will have to take a much closer look when the tool arrives, since there seems to be some building apprehension out there about the complexity of the process. If I can do it, anyone can! :)

You can do it Devon :)

Regards,

Jeff

• I'm afraid due to copyright issues of the satellite images it won't be possible to share the scenery legally, at least not outside of the US.

It may be ok for personal usage only, I'm not really sure.

Regards,

Jan

isnt usgs imagery paid for by the american people through our taxes and has been made public domain? NAIP for sure and probably most Regional 1foot projects are public domain as well.