Geoconvert tool in June?

• While we're patiently waiting ( ;) ) for the geoconvert tool, here's a quick question regarding the .tmc file to see if I am understanding it's format correctly:

If I have 3 areas of resolution (.5 for the airport, 1m for the surrounding city, and 2m for a large area around the airport and city), then should I have 3 sets of information (one for each different set of resolution tiles), or up to 15 different blocks of code in total with lon/lat information? Not sure I'm understanding this correctly...

Hope my question makes sense. :)

Ken,

your question makes a lot of sense and I think, soon we will have several people experimenting with this.

Try to run just one geoconversion and define different areas and the different levels in your config-region.tmc.

Otherwise you may run geoconvert 3 times, specifying different areas and different levels in 3 config-region.tmc.

Rodeo

Coming soon:

NAS Whidbey update

Aspen Colorado

• Hello Rodeo.

It is good to hear Whidbey will get a facelift soon. I am looking foward to seeing Apsen.

If anyone is looking for a sample area to fine tune their scenery building skills, I highly recommend the Colorado Springs, Colorado area in central USA. Very scenic area with lots of elevation changes.

Regards,

Ray

• Ken,

your question makes a lot of sense and I think, soon we will have several people experimenting with this.

Yes, Ken asks a good and important question. But maybe I do not understand the answer..... :)

For example, Orbx has already experimented with this? :?:

Here, Jarrad Marshall shows a sketch showing the areas (1m, 60cm, 30cm):

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshots…28eb6a4230b.jpg

It would be a waste of hard disk space to place three images on top of another?

• It would be a waste of hard disk space to place three images on top of another?

I think you could black out the pixels of the footprint of each higher res layer reducing the storage size by removing redundant imagery in favor of a highly compressible uniform color, like black.

2m imagery is on the bottom, you can black out the footprint of the 1m imagery on the 2m layer.

.3m imagery on top of the 1m imagery, you can black out the footprint of the .3m imagery on the 1m layer.

if there are blending concerns i'd just buffer the footprint and give a little overlap between each layer.

Edited 3 times, last by Sycosys (July 9, 2017 at 5:05 PM).

• Thanks, I have written my tmc file with 6 blocks of code; my initial scenery area has 2 airports, so I have a block for each .5m airport area plus the other 4 blocks. Unless the tutorial changes when the program comes out I'll try that and see what happens. Hopefully the release will occur this upcoming week and soon we'll all get to begin using this marvelous new tool for AFS2 users!

Ken

• Thank you for your advice. That makes sense.

Will the geoconvert tool create a smooth transition between high res and low res? Is there anything special we have to pay attention to?

I am not 100% sure. But they did mention that it supports alpha channel so you cloud use a buffer area to fade from high to low res and back again. This effect can be created with GIMP or many other image editors. I think you would want to blend the higher res into the low res so you would only edit the 1m and .3m images in the above example.

• But they did mention that it supports alpha channel so you cloud use a buffer area to fade from high to low res and back again.

I have already done it on a number of airports. :)

But I was now unsure whether there was an "automation" built into the geoconvert tool. I guess it's not. So we still need to do some workmanship.

It will be interesting to see if it works without tears...... :whistling:

• I'm not sure if this will be a problem. As far as I know, geoconvert will lay the orthophotos over Aeroflys existing world mesh, which I hope is comprehensive and complete.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• But this is Aeroflys existing world mesh. It may look like it's not complete....:(

Ouch.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Thank you for your suggestions. Is this an area suitable for "bush flights"?

I have never heard the terms Bush Plane and Colorado Springs ever mentioned in the same sentence. Sorry.

You can find some nice bush plane areas around the Puget Sound and Vancouver Island in Pacific NW. I bet you could tag onto Rodeo's soon to be released Whidbey Island and add a few docks and cabins for some great backcountry bush flying. I'm not sure, AF2 has anything that can float, just yet though, or fly on floats, but maybe . . . . .

Regards

Ray

• For a beginning "bush" flight area, try an area in southeast Alaska around Juneau, Skagway, or Ketchikan, or perhaps someone else who really enjoys bush flying can make another suggestion.

If you wish to stay in the original 48 area, try the Puget Sound and jump over to the Vancouver Island area. Check out Rodeo's Whidbey Island scenery - an update is just around the corner.

Regards,

Ray

• Sorry, our beta testers are a little picky, so we delayed it until next week.

Well, I ever read on this forum that you don't want to release anything before to reach a certain quality level.

I didn't expect bugs reporting makes one picky...

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Hi guys,

I was reading through the Wiki about how to create the photo-real scenery and it seems a bit "tedious" process. Just for curiosity, why it wasn't possible to take a smoother approach for the tool, as for instance Ortho4XP, where almost everything is integrated and the only thing you really need to do is select on a map the tiles you want to download and copy them to the sim folder? (yes, it can be more complicated for advanced users, but that's how I created my scenery) It is because the tool relies on FSET?

Not trying to criticize, just curious about why you guys took this rather "complex" process. :)

• Hi,

the wiki was done with many details for beginners, who are not familiar with the FSET tool.

This is a short version of the process:

Geoconvert tool in June?

I don't know anything about OrthoXP, but Geoconvert is not limited to FSET.

It works for any aerial image with a coordinate system, so it is a rather universal tool.

And aerofly uses a system of level tiles which need a long conversion process. The advantage is the fast access during game play.

Rodeo