propwash / slipstream effects at high AoA, Sideslip, on-ground x-wind situs...

• I gave a look at the ( tmd ) aircraft definition files for the presently included aircraft and found with help from the wiki how AEFS2 allows for fine-tuning of the propwash effects.

At least I believe I understood that:

- to each wing / stabilizer / elevator / rudder and even part of the ( up to 16 I believe ... ) fuselage components, the FDM engine applies the effects of propwash / spiraling slipstream.

- the aircraft designer can edit the tmd files and set multipliers for these effects, by adjusting the magnitude of the propwash flow over a given surface and also the "torque" it induces.

This sounds ok, but, does the core FDM automatically adapt this calculations to situations where we have one of the following, or a combination of:

.) High AoA ;

.) Sideslip ;

.) Strong X-wind, and aircraft still in contact with the ground ( for instance during takeoff ), where the propwash flow will be deflected considerably into the downwind side of the aircraft, affecting differently the left / right wing surfaces and fuselage

?

So, when we use these fine tuning parameters, can we assume that they're just there to fine tune the calculations that AEFS2 performs by default ? And, if that's the case, how does AEFS2 perform those calculations by default for each aircraft model ? Does it take into consideration, in any way, it's form / geometry ?

And... would we have some sort of debugging output where some aerodynamics / weather variables could be displayed. Propwash speed for instance, ...

Limited by Main Thread...

Edited once, last by jcomm (June 27, 2017 at 9:27 AM).

• From my expericence with the Aerofly RC and it's smoke creation and interaction of the propwash with the smoke I suspect that the propwash direction remains fixed and is not influenced by AOA or wind. But I am not 100% sure, I'm only guessing. To my knowledge the entire wing is affected by the wash as well, it's not just the area the wash is hitting. This is a simplification of the flight model, I think it could be more advanced, e.g. for the vertical stabilizer on a twin engine aircraft, where you have two washes adding up.

Regards,

Jan