Shimmering of Autogen

• Heya guys just wondering if there is any news on a possible fix for the shimmering autogen buildings? especially Innsbruck is Quite bad, No antrialiasing settings in any way shape or form work. Not having a moan, this sim has awesome potential and I cant wait to see whats install for the future well done guys :) My specs are Intel i7 7800, GTX1050Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM

• Both IPACS and ORBX are aware of this problem and will be working on a fix for it shortly.

Thank you for that info!

BTW are we really talking about autogen shimmering, or buildings?

As far as I understood, there's curently only vegetation autogen coverage in AFS2, LOWI inclusive, and this one is not shimmering on my config.

At least it's the only feature responding to the density cursor.

Buildings all seem to be hand-placed 3D textured models and they're definitely shimmering on my PC, I assume it could be related to the all-in-one structure where everything is loaded and displayed as a block with the same LOD, i.e. textures in the far distance might be too high resolution...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Official Post

To my knowledge not all buildings are hand-placed. They are cultivated based on a data base. This is still "autogen" if you like. But just done IPACS style :D

Regards,

Jan

• Really? it's a "game breaker", bit dramatic don't you think? so some buildings shimmer in the background if you happen to be looking at them... Broken game. cant play, life over. Burn the Computer!!!

I also wouldn't call it a game breaker but to me it is immersion killing: it simply is annyoing and a shame and without it things would simply look better and more real. The shimmering reminds me of the fact I am flying a computer sim. It won't stop me flying though. ;)

• I'll try those insane shadows but they do hurt performance. ;) But come to think of it: I use the Rift which has a low res screen: houses in the distance are just a few pixels and obviously they change place all the time so maybe what I am seeing is something different than what others are seeing on a high res 2D screen.

• I'll try those insane shadows but they do hurt performance. ;) But come to think of it: I use the Rift which has a low res screen: houses in the distance are just a few pixels and obviously they change place all the time so maybe what I am seeing is something different than what others are seeing on a high res 2D screen.

Well, Insane shadows divide FPS by 2 on my PC, without bringing any noticeable added value - ground terrain is still not casting any shadow, making all time setting different from early afternoon look inconsistent.

IMO in the shadow quality slider, ground terrain shadow casting should come earlier than buildings/vegetation shadow casting, since working with both of them might cost a lot on performance.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Playing with the shadow settings doesn't help at all. Playing with resolution and even invoking high DSR settings doesn't help. Looking at the buildings from a viewpoint outside of the plane sometimes helps.

Are the autogen buildings mip-mapped?

Because the only time I have ever seen a case of violent shimmering like this before was with an add-on for FSX named UT2, where the planes were not mip-mapped and shimmered like heck until the users learned how to fix them.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5