Suggestion (innsbruck)

• Official Post

Hi, it would be awesome if the gap between Switzerland & Innsbruck could be cover in a better resolution.

Thanks, Ben

One of my tests included this directly and it works very well. The GeoConvert tool has the ability to overlap existing scenery including DLC as well, however, without further testing I'm not certain if there are any underlying issues that I didn't catch just yet. I'm just not too sure how this is going to be handled yet.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• This is approximately the region plus some adjacent areas.

Must be funny for Americans: This small part of the Alps touches 5 different countries:

Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Liechtenstein, Germany.

I digitized the polygon in Google Earth and imported it into FSET.

• what can easily be exchanged is the FSET setup and inf files for anyone to download the orthophotos and compile them into a scenery.

The hardest work however resides in manually tuning the base photos in order to get colors that match existing sceneries, and draw the masks for water (Bodensee is much damaged in the Swiss DLC, just as the lake Geneva)...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Official Post

what can easily be exchanged is the FSET setup and inf files for anyone to download the orthophotos and compile them into a scenery.

The hardest work however resides in manually tuning the base photos in order to get colors that match existing sceneries, and draw the masks for water (Bodensee is much damaged in the Swiss DLC, just as the lake Geneva)...

Cheers

Antoine

For the water masks, you can easily edit the water using alpha layer in Gimp. Aerofly FS2 uses alpha blending. Here's a photo of my Key West scenery taking advantage of Gimp and alpha layering.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Official Post

is rodeo a dev?? if not- is he giving out scenery???? or selling it????

Rodeo is an internal member working with Torsten, myself and the rest of the IPACS team. He is also a very strong contributor to the Aerofly FS2 community. With that said, no one is selling scenery. We may provide a couple of "demo" sceneries made from the GeoConvert tool to promote the tool, but other than that we expect the community to make their own scenery moving forward for their own use and pleasure. It's still too early to tell if a way to distribute user made scenery is an option at this time.

The GeoConvert tool will provide an easy, somewhat automated way to make and implement scenery for Aerofly FS2 as part of the SDK development cycle.

Regards,

Jeff

• Did I read that the source imagery is for US folk only?

You have to find your own source imagery and so you can also use a European source or Asian or whatever. It could well be that a specific American source is for US folk only but IPACS has nothing to do with that. IPACS gives us the tool and the rest is up to the user. The tool certainly isn't of interest to US folk only!

• For the water masks, you can easily edit the water using alpha layer in Gimp. Aerofly FS2 uses alpha blending. Here's a photo of my Key West scenery taking advantage of Gimp and alpha layering.

[wsm='42','null','none'][/wsm]

Well, in that example waters aren't blended, there's a sharp watermask limit. We need to design a soft, progressive blending for the water texture (when there's one) to come up to the shore, and the areial picture with undersea details to show and progressively fade into deeper waters, like in FSX/P3D.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Official Post

Well, in that example waters aren't blended, there's a sharp watermask limit. We need to design a soft, progressive blending for the water texture (when there's one) to come up to the shore, and the areial picture with undersea details to show and progressively fade into deeper waters, like in FSX/P3D.

Cheers

Antoine

I just provided that as a quick example. The actual scenery shown in that example is indeed blended and fades into the default water.

Regards,

Jeff

• Must be funny for Americans: This small part of the Alps touches 5 different countries:

Ha ha Rodeo, imagine me in Canada. Where the distance between some major city are in 1000 km

Ben

BennyBoy. I5 8600K @ 4,3ghz, 16 ram, GTX 1060 6G @ UW @2560 X 1080. Sim: AF2 & P3D V4

• This is approximately the region plus some adjacent areas.

Must be funny for Americans: This small part of the Alps touches 5 different countries:

I digitized the polygon in Google Earth and imported it into FSET.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Corners :P

Maybe Ipacs will place the four corners monument!

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• we should able to share anything you make with no legal issues, its all public domain if ur getting it from USGS

"USGS-authored or produced data and information are considered to be in the U.S. public domain." The satellite imagery is fair game guys the images on the site arnt but the satellites are. We just need to credit them

"When using information from USGS information products, publications, or Web sites, we ask that proper credit be given. Credit can be provided by including a citation such as the following:

Credit: U.S. Geological Survey

Department of the Interior/USGS

U.S. Geological Survey/photo by Jane Doe (if the photographer/artist is known)"

heres the link https://www2.usgs.gov/laws/info_policies.html

• Official Post

The disclaimer posted on the Wiki is derived from legal opinion based upon American copyright law in order to protect IPACS from any user misuse. If you choose to share any sceneries made using FSET, that's fine, as IPACS has only released a tool to convert aerial imagery from ANY origin into Aerofly FS2.

Regards,

Jeff

•  

The disclaimer posted on the Wiki is derived from legal opinion based upon American copyright law in order to protect IPACS from any user misuse. If you choose to share any sceneries made using FSET, that's fine, as IPACS has only released a tool to convert aerial imagery from ANY origin into Aerofly FS2.

its not from a wiki- its from their terms and conditions page