For those, considering to "step into reality" (second entry)

• Hey guys..

You might remember there was a thread with the same subject couple of months ago. Back then I started it to let you know that Oculus dropped their prices and getting closer to reality was much cheaper..

This "second entry" has the same meaning with little difference.. They did it again but this time it will only last for six weeks!!

Apparently Oculus wants to re-boost the sales, year after CV1 hit the market . Oculus Rift and the Touch controllers are now on special promotion for £399.

This is the time to smash your piggy bank and go for it boys and girls, is't worth it every penny..

Over and Out

Jay

• I think folks need to remember that only the very high end graphic cards will provide any decent resolution.

Regards,

Ray

I think resolution is the same, no matter what card: it is the performance that may be different. Resolution will be rather low, no matter what card you have. Obviously a high end card can use a higher Render Scale Factor to make things look sharper but things will still look quite low res.

• I think resolution is the same, no matter what card: it is the performance that may be different. Resolution will be rather low, no matter what card you have. Obviously a high end card can use a higher Render Scale Factor to make things look sharper but things will still look quite low res.

True, but using a higher Render Scale Factor of say 1.8 to 2.0 is the only way to be able to read most instruments decently, In order to use those higher factors you'll need a top of the line videocard. If you don't really care about instruments this won't be too much of a problem though.

• It sounds to me like we really need the next generation VR which will probably be available next year and probably about the same time the next generation graphics cards will be arriving to drive them. Heck, maybe the full blown next upgrade for Aerofly FS2 will arrive to meet and use them both. Now wouldn't that be a kick in the butt. :/

Regards,

Ray

• It sounds to me like we really need the next generation VR which will probably be available next year

Oculus said a while ago they didn't expect a new Rift before 2019 and Vive has said they won't release anything new until they can offer something actually new, meaning a higher resolution isn't enough for them to create a Vive 2. So unless another company will come up with something exciting we will be stuck with what we have now for quite some time. VR devices won't seem to get the usual one year cycle like smartphones etc. but more something like a 3 year cycle.

• One has a absolutely entertaining commercial with the ground birds.

Hm, do you have any intel I don't know about...? ;) Up to now Samsung has simply used Oculus tech for their Gear VR: are they working on something of their own now?

• We actually need foveated rendering where only the part the eyes look is rendered in full resolution. That will probably make higher resolution VR (4K per eye) on current generation video hardware possible. Besides that an increase in field of view would help a lot in making things more realistic (especially sense of speed).

But for now I'm actually still pretty happy with what we've got, it is still so much more than we could have dreamed of a few years ago. I actually did a full flight in the Lear by the book yesterday where I operated everything in the cockpit with the mouse and that worked pretty well.

There is also still so much to win on the software side like better access to maps, charts, checklists, etc. But also better clouds, sunlight effects and nightlighting on the ground.

• We actually need foveated rendering where only the part the eyes look is rendered in full resolution. That will probably make higher resolution VR (4K per eye) on current generation video hardware possible. Besides that an increase in field of view would help a lot in making things more realistic (especially sense of speed).

But for now I'm actually still pretty happy with what we've got, it is still so much more than we could have dreamed of a few years ago. I actually did a full flight in the Lear by the book yesterday where I operated everything in the cockpit with the mouse and that worked pretty well.

There is also still so much to win on the software side like better access to maps, charts, checklists, etc. But also better clouds, sunlight effects and nightlighting on the ground.

Flying the Lear with mouse input. Now, that sounds like some good progress to me.

Full flight - Impressive.

Ray

• Hm, do you have any intel I don't know about...? ;) Up to now Samsung has simply used Oculus tech for their Gear VR: are they working on something of their own now?

Only what I read. Google and NVidia are now full fledged VR supplier companies. No longer just components. I guess they are after the big prize.

Regards,

Ray

• Actually I posted this on another forum a while ago. I think it gives a very good demonstration of what's possible even now for controlling an aircraft with the basic touch controllers.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Hmmm. Pretty jerky movements, really low resolution, almost no color. Once he got flying it was much smoother, but still not very graphic. Not having seen flight simulation in VR, I really can't see that this movie has much improvement over triple monitors, Track IR and an external cockpit. I know I know, everyone says one you try VR you will never go back to flat screens.

I wish we could see someone flying the AF2 Learjet using a mouse for selecting - all in VR.

Regards,

Ray

• Flyingr the Lear with mouse input. Now, that sounds like some good progress to me.

Full flight - Impressive.

I wish we could see someone flying the AF2 Learjet using a mouse for selecting - all in VR.

Quote 1: Progress...? This has been an option in Aerofly's VR for ages already. Nothing new here.

Quote 2: I don't know what you would expect to see but you would see the exact same as you see on your monitor. It works just as well. (Which can't be said of for instance Prepared.) I can fly the Airbus and do everything with the mouse in VR. I only use my joystick for up, down, left, right and my rudder pedals. Everything else, flaps, gear, TO Config, AP, lights, speedbrake, whatever, I do with the mouse. And whenever ALL options in the VC will be made available, I still will be able to do that with the mouse.

BTW The mouse will also work far more easy than for instance Touch controllers: in the video HiFlyer posted you often see the guy has to flick a switch multiple times before something actually happens: not so with the mouse in Aerofly in VR. Touch control would be a nice option but I still might prefer and use the mouse.

EDIT

Here are two screenshots I just made, one from using the mouse in VR where I am pulling the red brake thing in the Learjet and one where I am switching lights on the Airbus overhead. If you look closely you can see the position of the mouse pointer is different in the left and right side of each picture, meaning the mouse pointer is actually inside the 3D environment. When you move it around it sort of sticks to any surface which you can use... hard to describe... Yes, you actually have to see all this to believe it.

A 3 monitor setup with TrackIR doesn't come close to VR. Seriously. On a monitor a plane or a mountain or a building can only be as big as your monitor, in VR it is as big as it is in real life. Impossible to compare. Yes, a monitor has a sharper image but that's all. When it comes to immersion VR can't be beat.

• Quote 1: Progress...? This has been an option in Aerofly's VR for ages already. Nothing new here.

Quote 2: I don't know what you would expect to see but you would see the exact same as you see on your monitor. It works just as well. (Which can't be said of for instance Prepared.) I can fly the Airbus and do everything with the mouse in VR. I only use my joystick for up, down, left, right and my rudder pedals. Everything else, flaps, gear, TO Config, AP, lights, speedbrake, whatever, I do with the mouse. And whenever ALL options in the VC will be made available, I still will be able to do that with the mouse.

BTW The mouse will also work far more easy than for instance Touch controllers: in the video HiFlyer posted you often see the guy has to flick a switch multiple times before something actually happens: not so with the mouse in Aerofly in VR. Touch control would be a nice option but I still might prefer and use the mouse.

I didn't say anything about being new to AF2. I have yet to see any video in the cockpit while in VR. Phil was saying several months ago only the Cessna had gauges that could be read while flying. I haven't been interested in it simply because I don't have one and I do a lot of typing and searching for writing reviews.

Regards,

Ray

• I didn't say anything about being new to AF2. I have yet to see any video in the cockpit while in VR. Phil was saying several months ago only the Cessna had gauges that could be read while flying. I haven't been interested in it simply because I don't have one and I do a lot of typing and searching for writing reviews.

Regards,

Ray

Ah, ok, I must have misunderstood what you were saying. About readability: I can read every gauge in all planes so maybe Phil didn't use the right settings...?

You do know the Rift can be bought with a discount now? ;) 399 for the Rift and Touch. Cheap. I paid more than twice as much a half year ago.

But I have to admit that typing and searching for writing is a problem with VR... in fact, looking at a chart or pdf (PoH, tutorial, checklist) is a problem too. I am afraid that when the Dash has been released I will have to learn how it works in 2D... Hopefully IPACS can some up with a solution for this (like a pdf reader which you can access from within the VR environment).

But anyway, whenever you can fly just for FUN (which I hope you sometimes do!) a Rift would be GREAT...! ;)