Error geoconvert tool

• Just try with the wiki tuto. Put BMP files and inf files from Fset in input aerial images. Create my TMC files (with decimal geocoordinates) and batch file (same name TMC file and noted in the batch). But when double click batch files it says "Error initializing aerofly FS2 Geoconvert! See tm.log file." Any idea? Thanks for your help.

• Official Post

It looks like either your bat file isn't correct or there is something within your TMC file that is causing the error. Take a look at the tm log and it should give you some direction here.

Take note on how you create the run command.

Try it by using direct run from command prompt to rune out issues with your created .bat also.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Official Post

The simplest way to do this trouble free is by following these steps (no detail included):

1) obtain your FSET images and inf files and place them into the folder together (without renaming anything)

2) convert the inf files to tfw by using the inf2tfw application

3) make your TMC file (levels 9-14 or less depending on what resolution you want)

4) run geoconvert.exe with TMC file (make sure that you add the '.tmc.' to the end of the run string

5) run the conversion and place the resulting files into your documents Aerofly folder

6) fly over the area created

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Official Post

Aaahhh ... thank you. :thumbup:

Then it is downloaded.

Your steps look very clear.

Then I try again.

I'll try to tweak the tutorial a little bit to make it more understandable :)

Regards,

Jeff

• The description may be not precise enough, I'm sorry for that.

There are actually 2 ways to get the coordinate information for geoconvert.

First, run inf2tfw to create the TFW files. In this case, the original name AreaFSInfo_...INF is required.

Second, geoconvert may do this automatically. In this case the tool expects the same name as the image Area_...INF

Using this way, you have to rename the INF files to match your image file names.

Rodeo

• Thanks for your help. Try with convert INF files to TFW files and try other way to rename INF files but same results, error to load the TMC file. Can't see where i make a mistake so i'll go sleep and retry from the begining later :P Maybe i make an error upstream.

• First, run inf2tfw to create the TFW files. In this case, the original name AreaFSInfo_...INF is required.

There is something that slips.

Has now completed the steps (from drhotwing1) - and the Goeconvert tool has calculated and given green light. No error message.

But the finished files are invisible .... (They are probably not made). :/

What happens if I have mirrored the coordinates (and the like). Will an error message appear?

• We need more information to support you. Can you please publish the TMC file.

If the images lay outside of the TMC area, the tool runs but will not create any tiles.

This happened also to me when I flipped latlon - lonlat values.

Rodeo

• Goodness gracious me.

This tool is certainly NOT what I expected, a command line process that HOGS the PC CPU and stops all other sensible operation of the PC.

It doesn't automatically create tfw files with same names. Do as Jeff says:

2) convert the inf files to tfw by using the inf2tfw application - that works well and quickly.

The inf2tfw app should be in the SDK. How crazy is that to not include it considering the above. To have to "discover" it via the wiki - errr?

The output from geoconvert as it progresses is nonsensical:

89 of 72 files ????

Percent complete 125.294% ????

Num Level 7 of 5 ????

WHAT??

All leading to a crash of the app after it blanked out the display after 2 hours. Caused Explorer to have a fixed small window top left of screen after reboot that took ages to unravel and to get full explorer functionality again.

There are conflicting instructions in various places with examples that are simply not the same as that supplied.

I feel like you've done a lot of work but probably you've been pressured to release something that is too bitty and looks too unprofessional with incomplete info being released too early also will stop many in their tracks.

Thus, as this stands I can't see any large section of your users "creating scenery" and its probably some bad PR. I'm only saying what I see/feel from this.

I did end up with the whole of Lake Garda and surrounding area at level 7 which has been very nice to fly around @ 2.25gb ish in 1620 files. A nightmare to share obviously.

The lake water laps up the western cliffs alarmingly and I'd guess its due to the accuracy of the mesh it sits on?

All in all - I'd use it again now knowing its complexity and such BUT on a separate PC.

I'd have waited 6 months or more for a truly polished add-on product which relied NOT on FSET but was a "whole" solution.

This is a start and can become that and I'd support that with donations.

BG2518-Bob.

Thanks very much for the obvious devotion.

• If the images lay outside of the TMC area, the tool runs but will not create any tiles.

This happened also to me when I flipped latlon - lonlat values.

Yes, I think this is where I'm confused. :)

I therefore tried to follow and copy your example from wiki (your completed calculated coordinates), and now I have some converted files (.ttc).

Before continuing, I must first concentrate on understanding how this coordinate system works. :sleeping:

• The tool does work properly, we've tested this same version for over a week now and after 25 successful consecutive sceneries i'm sure that everyone will get better at this process, as it does have a learning curve.

I would say yes to the tool eating resources, and for the tool to run better you will need at least 16GB memory and a fairly newer PC.

As for the time it takes, I ran a scenery 50nm x 50nm and it took the tool around 50 minutes to fully complete. The entire scenery project; FSET pulling the images, and the tool converting the images and tfw files it took fully 1:37 minutes.

We are all here to assist everyone be successful with this tool.

For the TMC, the key here is to define the left upper edge and the lower right edge of the full project. This is easily seen in FSET even before you run the job. Those coordinates need to be converted to decimal of second degree by using the site mentioned on the wiki, the resulting values are hat make up each level in the TMC, so what you have for level 9 is the same as level 14 (just copy and paste the values to each level).

The key here for now is to follow the wiki step by step , I promise you that it's accurate and will get you to be successful .

Please do continue to ask questions here and we will help the best we can.

Once you complete a scenery with this tool (especially at level 14) you will be hooked (especially in VR) .

You don't have to run the tool via command line if you make your own batch file, but either way is fairly easy and have the same results.

Hint; start with a small area and don't use too many levels in the TMC file.

Also, make sure that you use the Geoconvert tool within the file structure that is came packaged, don't rename anything (including the image and inf files from FSET)

Place the image files and inf files from FSET directly into the input_aerial_images folder and use the inf2tfw tool directly from that folder, then all that's left is making the TMC file and running the tool.

Regards,

Jeff