Error geoconvert tool

• Official Post

2nd attempt also successful in terms of having scenery that I can use - Lake District UK level 3

BUT the tool hung and thus crashed at the end of the process as before.

It is feedback and the truth.

BG2518-Bob.

What are your PC specs?

Also, make sure that you reboot just before you run the project and make sure mothing is running during the conversion process.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hi Rodeo, I am still confused. Is inf2tfw and tfw necessary? If not, how can I get image Area_...INF files? Just rename the AreaFSInfo--INF to Area_...INF? Thank you!

• Official Post

Hi Rodeo, I am still confused. Is inf2tfw and tfw necessary? If not, how can I get image Area_...INF files? Just rename the AreaFSInfo--INF to Area_...INF? Thank you!

It's much easier to use the inf2tfw application to convert the inf files you have to tfw. When you have your image files and inf files from FSET, just drop them into the 'input_aerial_images' folder then run the inf2tfw application pointing it to that folder. Once the application converts the inf files to tfw and you have your TMC file completed, just run the geoconvert tool per the instructions. It should run correctly for you.

Even though the tutorial is detailed, there are really only a couple of core steps needed to get your scenery.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• It's much easier to use the inf2tfw application to convert the inf files you have to tfw. When you have your image files and inf files from FSET, just drop them into the 'input_aerial_images' folder then run the inf2tfw application pointing it to that folder. Once the application converts the inf files to tfw and you have your TMC file completed, just run the geoconvert tool per the instructions. It should run correctly for you.

Even though the tutorial is detailed, there are really only a couple of core steps needed to get your scenery.

Got it. Thank you!

• I'm having a similar problem to what Hartman was but my coordinates are in the right location. Geoconvert works fine but nothing appears in in the Scenery/Images folder. Attached is a txt document of my TMC file. The coordinates have been converted as outlined by the tutorial.

• I had the similar problem with Hartman and Asheroo with nothing in the image folder. Then I found out I have to put the right mark before the coordinates. For longitude west and altitude south, there should be "-" before the number. Thus the problem is solved.

• Hi Rodeo - I think it would be good to bottom out the issue of geoconvert auto converting .INF to TFW. It would be so much easier if it did. You said that as long as the .INF matched the .BMP all would be fine but I see that they come out slightly different, as below. Perhaps there are FSET options that avoid this? The inf2tfw tool requires java 8, which I didn't have, and then you get warning messages about windows 10 that might put people off.

AreaFSInfo_Lp1_SnapOff_N054335107_N054271400_W003412603_W003283083.inf

Area_Lp1_SnapOff_N054335107_N054271400_W003412603_W003283083.bmp

If there's no way to avoid it I'm thinking:

1) I might see if I can do the inf2tfw with a .BAT script, avoiding installs (and it could be part of the SDK then)

2) I guess it easier to have a .BAT that harmonises INF/BMP filenames

3) ...or get Geoconvert to match the filenames with a wildcard between "Area_" and the first co-ordinate?

I'm a big fan of automation. For example I didn't like the idea of retyping those co-ordinates for decimal co-ords, so I've made this page:

http://ndgrad.co.uk/fs2/fset2tmc/

• What are your PC specs?

Also, make sure that you reboot just before you run the project and make sure mothing is running during the conversion process.

WIN 10 - i7-970 six core @ 3.2GHz - 24GB RAM - NVIDIA 1080

However, I've already decided to run your app on a dedicated separate machine because, as you say, it makes sense to ENSURE that NOTING ELSE is running during the geoconvert process.

Additionally, I'm going to limit the conversion areas e.g. I'll download a massive amount of tiles from FSET for huge areas (nominally 40 @ lvl 2 ish) and batch process that at approx. 4 at a time. Thus I'll build up scenery in a more stable way (hopefully) over time.

Going to redo UK's Lake District today/tomoz @ Lvl 2 (from 3 as this isn't quite there for me) and play with the masking of the west coastline.

I will be able to make a link available for a download for others to laugh at soon.

Thanks for your advice/help, always.

BG2518-Bob.

• I'm having a similar problem to what Hartman was but my coordinates are in the right location. Geoconvert works fine but nothing appears in in the Scenery/Images folder. Attached is a txt document of my TMC file. The coordinates have been converted as outlined by the tutorial.

Ah I just figured out what I was doing wrong. The coordinates I put down in the "lonlat" lines had the latitude first then longtitude. I just figured out what order the "lonlat" is.

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift

• Phil,

your TMC code is a great supplement and facilitation!!!

We will add how to get the PartialFSEarthTiles.ini by pressing the E button. This is probably only known by people having some experience with FSET.
    Many thanks for this idea.

@all

Regarding the geoconvert tool:

Although it has just been published, it already has a history.

It is not specialized for FSET, but can convert any aerial data in the format BMP, TIF, PNG with an additional coordinate file.

In the beginning we created the TFW manually, then I came up with using the INF when the data derive from FSET.
    My son did the coding of inf2tfw. Therefore it is an external program and not part of the IPACS SDK.

It's a special 'feature' of FSET, that the INF file and the image file names are not the same, see this example:

Area_Lp4_SnapOff_N064003173_N063220874_W017363660_W016130354.bmp

AreaFSInfo_Lp4_SnapOff_N064003173_N063220874_W017363660_W016130354.inf

So inf2tfw takes this into account and creates a TFW with the name of the image.
    Additionally the content of the INF varies with different settings of FSET, so the tool has to search for keywords to do the job.
    In this stage the tutorial has been written.

In the current version of geoconvert IPACS added the possibility to read the INF files directly.
    They don't output a TFW, but an internal coordinate format AIC.

In this case, the names of INF and BMP have to be identical.

So, users have to follow one of these 2 different ways, and I can understand, that this might create confusion.

Jeff and me were already used to inf2tw therefore it is part of the tutorial and is listed in the prerequisites!

All the tools and the tutorials are version number 1 for the community. The users' input will have impact to the entire process and improve both the workflow and the description. If you encounter any problems, please publish it here with sufficent information and we will try to support you as good as we can.

Rodeo

• Asheroo,

it's good you figured this out, the order is important.

Another important point is, that western longitudes have a minus '-' in front of the coordinate.

The same is valid for southern coordinates below the equatorial line.

Rodeo

• Ah I just figured out what I was doing wrong. The coordinates I put down in the "lonlat" lines had the latitude first then longtitude. I just figured out what order the "lonlat" is.

:)

The mistake was that I switched the coordinates. Now it works great. Here a screenshot near ENZV (Norway).

Now I'm ready for the next challenge: Create a .TFW file without using the inf2tfw tool. =O

I have some great aerial photos in the same area. But then I can not use the inf2tfw tool.

I'm reading in wiki (GeoConvert/USGS Tutorial):

"Now let’s calculate the data

The extension of the 1m NAIP images is 3.75 x 3.7m minutes."

Is there anyone who can explain what this means?

I have the following information about the aforementioned aerial photo:

Map Image Width/Height 42409, 24516

<north> 59.9747722679296

<south> 59.4441151541208

<east> 10.6140375137329

<west> 8.79404067993164

In addition, I have two files called .pgw and .pngw (aerial photo is .png format):

Can these numbers be used in connection with the creation of a .TFW file?

• Phil,

your TMC code is a great supplement and facilitation!!!

We will add how to get the PartialFSEarthTiles.ini by pressing the E button. This is probably only known by people having some experience with FSET.
    Many thanks for this idea.

Pure luck Rodeo ! I clicked various buttons not knowing that one of them generated the partial ini. Thanks for telling me which.

I see 4 areas to streamline more, at least for a first go:

1) Auto convert the inf to tfw using one of the 3 methods i proposed

2) Don't worry about coordinates at all. Select the area you want using the mouse/zoom in FSET, then the partial.ini holds the coord data which my converter can make into a TMC

3) Don't bother making different tmc/bat files for geoconvert processing. Just have one called geoconvert.tmc and geoconvert.bat. Just edit the TMC then and you're ready to go

4) i'm going to explore whether imagemagick can autoidentify default water tiles and replace them with transparency, ideally with a feathered smoothed border to avoid it looking to square-edgy

Screenshots of the Lake District to follow...

• Hartman,

I try to explain it.

"Now let’s calculate the data

The extension of the 1m NAIP images is 3.75 x 3.75 minutes."

This is the information given by the USGS. It means: If my left corner coordinate is 0° 0' , my right corner is 0° 3.75' .

Let's do this for your data:

east - west = 10.6140375137329 - 8.79404067993164 = 1.81999683380126 (extent in longitudinal degrees)

horizontal resolution = 1.81999683380126 / 42409 = 0.00004291534423828103 degrees/pixel

north - south = 59.9747722679296 - 59.4441151541208 = 0.5306571138088 (extent in latitudinal degrees)

vertical resolution = 0.5306571138088 / 24516 = 0.00002164533830187633 degrees/pixel

So, this is your TFW-file:

The .pgw is a similar coordinate file, but I don't know why the values are so different.

Please try geoconvert with the TFW data and report the result, thanks!

Rodeo

Phil,

I like your approaches!

• I try to explain it.

Rodeo, thank you for a good and clear explanation.

Now I understand how the numbers (coordinates) appear. :)

So maybe you should add this to Wiki?

First, I received an error message. Discovered that the coordinates that followed the aerial photo were incorrect (or maybe another coordinate system?). Confusing.

But I found a solution. Your calculations were correct - and the conversion went well.

Thanks so much.:thumbup: