Geoconvert "overlap" (?)

• First of all, thank you very much to IPACS and the whole team (Jeff, rodeo, etc., sorry if I miss someone!) for the excellent Geoconvert tool!!.

I have a question: If one selects an extended area (let's say 80 nm x 60 nm) around a certain airport to a resolution level let's say around 3 or 4 (with FSET) and do the complete conversion process, and then AFTER one would like to have a small area around that same airport (let's say 8 nm x 8 nm) to a high resolution level of 0 or 1, and do the conversion process again but only for that small area, the fact that these "two areas" will be overlaping will not create a kind of a conflict inside Aerofly FS 2 or they'll display correctly?.

If someone could clarify this to me I'll be very much appreciated. In case the indicated procedure is not correct, please describe the correct procedure to perform the same task.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ed

• +1

I created a largish area at FSET +1 resolution and output to Level 13, then downloaded a small FSET -1 resolution area within it, output to Level 14. I was unable to see any improvement. I used Virtual Earth as the source.

• Hi Phil. Thanks for sharing.

Did you converted with geoconvert with all the files the low-res and hi-res together at the same time from the input_aerial_images, or did you converted them separatedly and tried them separatedly within AFFS2?.

Cheers, Ed

• Ed, i did two separate conversions and the 2 sets of scenery images are in separate folders under scenery/images. I suppose fs2 doesn't know which takes priority. I'd better read the wiki about different resolutions.

• Yes, Phil, my thinking is (of course I could be totally wrong) that we should convert only once all those areas together (the low-res and the high-res areas), with the different resolutions and then edit the TMC file with the different layers of resolutions and its respective coordinates. This is my interpretation of what is mentioned in the wiki in the section "Variable levels within a single conversion process" under the Best Practices paragraph.

I'll try this approach in an airport of my area and will report back here.

Cheers, Ed

• Yes, Phil, my thinking is (of course I could be totally wrong) that we should convert only once all those areas together (the low-res and the high-res areas), with the different resolutions and then edit the TMC file with the different layers of resolutions and its respective coordinates. This is my interpretation of what is mentioned in the wiki in the section "Variable levels within a single conversion process" under the Best Practices paragraph.

I'll try this approach in an airport of my area and will report back here.

Cheers, Ed

Thanks Ed. I would be interested in some feedback from Rodeo on this too. It would be nice if its possible to do add-on patches of higher res scenery within an area already covered, rather than have to redo a potentially huge geoconvert.

• First of all, thank you very much to IPACS and the whole team (Jeff, rodeo, etc., sorry if I miss someone!) for the excellent Geoconvert tool!!.

I have a question: If one selects an extended area (let's say 80 nm x 60 nm) around a certain airport to a resolution level let's say around 3 or 4 (with FSET) and do the complete conversion process, and then AFTER one would like to have a small area around that same airport (let's say 8 nm x 8 nm) to a high resolution level of 0 or 1, and do the conversion process again but only for that small area, the fact that these "two areas" will be overlaping will not create a kind of a conflict inside Aerofly FS 2 or they'll display correctly?.

If someone could clarify this to me I'll be very much appreciated. In case the indicated procedure is not correct, please describe the correct procedure to perform the same task.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ed

Hi Ed and Phil,

sorry for not coming back to you earlier.

I did some geoconversions separately, and this is my suggestion.

1. Large area 80x60nm, FSET 3 or 4, run geoconvert only for level 9 and 11.

2. Small aera 8x8nm, FSET 0 or 1, run geoconvert only for levels 12-14.

3. You can copy both results into the same directory, since the tiles are separated by their different levels.

If you run batch 2 for all levels, you will overwrite the affected levels 9 and 11 from batch 1.

We need to handle the maskings of the tiles then. Next step of geoconvert.

Rodeo

• Thanks Rodeo. That's good. You say you can put both sets in the same directory. Presumably it makes no difference if they're in separate directories? I'm thinking a useful folder naming convention might be something like this:

myregion_F0_9_11_14

It would remind you it was Fset resolution 0, converted to FS2 levels 9,11,14

• Any news about learning how to handle the maskings of the tiles?. I've tried the method you suggested and worked out perfectly. The only thing I've noted is that the underlying tile seems to me is still showing up in some sections or parts of it.

Cheers, Ed

• Hi Ed,

the current issue with stripes has to be investigated again.
    Also the enormous feedback from users is taken into account. So please give us some more time.

Additionally I think about a complete new topic regarding mask editing.

But they call me already a 'tutorial monster'.:evil:

Rodeo

• The only thing I've noted is that the underlying tile seems to me is still showing up in some sections or parts of it.

Hi Edward,

Here is some reading about that issue, no gospel truth, just what I think I understood so far - there's only trial and error yet to figure out how it all works...

Suggestions for setting up scenery priority

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.