What am I doing wrong with geo convert tool

• Mr Rodeo sir, I have a question. Even if you are only doing "fly over" scenery, downloaded at level 3 from FSET, do you still make tiles in Geoconvert up to level 13? I normally do levels 9-11 at that resolution. Should I do 12 and 13 as well to avoid any problems like pop-up?

The question is, what are you geoconverting on?

If you're geoconverting where there's nothing but raw satellite low res photo, then no problem limiting your geoconverting to level 11.

If you're geoconverting where there's already some aerial photo scenery (e.g. DLC), then you'll need to compile in high enough levels to prevent the underlayer to pop up... there's no clear priority setting in AFS2, unfortunately.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Oldar

no Sir. :) For flyover just stay with low levels, no problem.

But if you do only a high level 13 as the thread starter mentioned, you should also do a full set of lower levels up to your desired one.

If you skip the lower levels here, you will create this pop up effect.

• The question is, what are you geoconverting on?

If you're geoconverting where there's nothing but raw satellite low res photo, then no problem limiting your geoconverting to level 11.

If you're geoconverting where there's already some aerial photo scenery (e.g. DLC), then you'll need to compile in high enough levels to prevent the underlayer to pop up... there's no clear priority setting in AFS2, unfortunately.

Cheers

Antoine

Hmmm, that makes sense. And it explains why pop-ups are worse over anything other than "pixel-soup" scenery. Thank you.

• As a complement of what Rodeo explains, the levels are working similar to mipmap.

Let's say, you geoconvert a zone in levels 7, 9, 11, 12, 13 and 14.

When you open the "Location" menu in AFS2, a Map is displayed, quite zoomed out, and you cannot see your geoconverted tiles.

You zoom in a few clicks, then suddenly your geoconverted tiles pop up = that's because you reached a zoom level where level 7 is being displayed, while earlier the map was rather displaying level 5 or something.

Now you choose a location, starting at 1'000ft AGL and launch the sim. AFS2 will load the level 14 tiles just below and immediately around your aircraft, but to prevent aliasing artefacts and improve performance, level 13 tiles only will be displayed in a slightly wider circle beyond the level 14 range, and further away only level 12 tiles, and in a far distance level 11, etc.

If only level 14 images were displayed in the whole visible range, it would :

- be very heavy

- look ugly, due to fighting pixels

Now imagine you only compile up to level 11 (i.e. level 7, 9 and 11 only) and restart at 1'000ft AGL.

If nothing better is available, AFS2 will only display level 11 tiles in the visible range, it may look good in the far distance, but blurred below and around your aircraft. If you get to fly at high altitude then it will look ok, but you shouldn't fly there at 5'000ft AGL.

Now, imagine in the opposite that you only compile level 14 (i.e. you don't compile levels 7, 9 ,11, 12 and 13) and restart at 1'000ft AGL.

AFS2 will load the level 14 tiles just below and immediately around your aircraft, but there's nothing to load and display at further distance than the default, low res satellite picture. When you start flying, the level 14 tiles will pop up as you get in their display range.

If you only compile level 13, you get the same phenomenon, at a wider range though, but your tiles will pop up in front of your aircraft.

Now, imagine Mister A geoconverted a specific range in levels 7 to 13 with pictures from a database A, and Mister B geoconverted an overlapping neighbouring range in the very same levels with pictures from a database B.

Then, it is unclear what tile will be loaded and displayed on top in the overlapping zone, since there's no clear priority setting but resolution. I observed one will be chosen by AFS2, but I couldn't clarify on which criteria this is based, thus on my sim it could be Mister B on top and on your sim AFS2 chooses Mister A due to something else...

If Mister B wants to ensure his tiles are displayed on top of those form Mister A, he should geoconvert his range up to level 14.

If on the opposite he thinks pictures from Mister A are better looking and should be displayed on top, he should geoconvert the overlapping zone up to level 12 only.

To prevent this, Mister B may also trim his source pictures and/or create a mask, then compile up to level 13 also, but without knowing the exact limits of Mister A's scenery, it may be difficult.

Hope this helps

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

Code
    Gracias rodeo por su respuesta oportuna, no entendí, pero gracias, estoy preocupado por el tiempo de conversión con más niveles, más de 13, lo hice por tiempo, pero lo haré todo de nuevo. porque volar con texturas que aparecen y desaparecen es muy desagradable.

Code
    thanks rodeo for its timely response, I did not understand, but thanks, I'm worried about the conversion time using more levels, than 13, I did it for time, but I'll do it all over again. because flying with textures that appear and disappear is very unpleasant.
  • Is there a tutorial to make the autogen or the lights for night flights, buildings and others on textures converted with geoconverter helper and that when flying over this converted area it can be night? since without that flying at night is total darkness

• You need to use a combination of open street map and ScenProc software to create buildings and lights for Geoconvert scenery. This is an excellent tutorial by forum member Rodeo on how to do it:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It is easy once you get the hang of it. It literally takes just a few minutes for any area you want to cultivate. After you get comfortable doing it, it is also easy to cut out the buildings from the process and just make lights.

You have to be comfortable making a few edits to your TSC files, so make copies of the TSC file the first time you try it!

• I have the next oak tree; I make extensive areas of terrain to resolution 2 and I convert them to detail levels 9,11 and 13, with the helper geoconverter once placed in the simulator everything goes well, it no longer presents the problem of disappearance and appearance of textures while flying over those areas, but when I perform on those same areas and choose smaller areas, such as cities, towns, etc, at resolution 0 and 1, I convert them to detail levels 9,10,11,12,13 and 14 with the helper geoconverter , I notice once placed in the simulator, that in the limits of said images it is seen blurring in narrow bands, when before mounting the new images this could not be seen, what can I be doing wrong?