Where do I need to read up to learn how to add runways in AF?

• Official Post

All you will need to do is convert a TSC file. Just place the TSC file into a folder with the "content_converter_config' file and run it.

Use mygeoposition.com to find the center coordinates of each location outlined in the file.

Here is a sample of the TSC file. with nothing except airport definition:

<[file][][]

<[tmsimulator_scenery_place][][]

<[string8][type][airport]>

<[string8][sname][Key West]>

<[string8][lname][Key West Airport]>

<[string8][icao][]>

<[string8][country][]>

<[string8][coordinate_system][lonlat]>

<[vector2_float64][position][-81.7660073 24.5560629]>

<[float64][height][0]>

<[float64][size][5000]>

<[vector2_float64][tower_position][0 0]>

<[float64][tower_height][0]>

<[bool][autoheight][false]>

<[string8][lights][]>

<[list_tmsimulator_scenery_object][objects][]

>

<[list_tmsimulator_scenery_object_animated][objects_animated][]

>

<[list_tmsimulator_runway][runways][]

<[tmsimulator_runway][element][0]

<[vector2_float64][endpoint1][-81.7667329 24.5560568]>

<[vector2_float64][endpoint2][-81.7524407 24.5568838]>

<[vector2_float64][threshold1][-81.7667329 24.5560568]>

<[vector2_float64][threshold2][-81.7524407 24.5568838]>

<[float64][width][45]>

<[string8][name1][9]>

<[string8][name2][27]>

<[string8][appltsys1][malsr]>

<[string8][appltsys2][malsr]>

<[string8][papi1][left]>

<[string8][papi2][left]>

<[string8][reil1][none]>

<[string8][reil2][none]>

>

>

<[list_tmsimulator_startposition][start_positions][]

>

<[list_tmsimulator_parking_position][parking_positions][]

>

<[list_tmsimulator_view_position][view_positions][]

>

>

>

Details about this process can be found in the airport workshop on the Wiki

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Note this the above addition to the TSC file will let you use the Location function to start at the runway but not actually generate a runway model ( a few polygons with texture on them) on top of the photoreal surface imagery. You will still need to generate this model using AC3D or 3DStudio - though I heard that is being worked on so a generic runway can be added more easily. The SDK has two example airports (Kingman and Oceanside) with source for examples.

NOTE: The above TSC edits will add nighttime lighting and VASI + approach lighting. The runway will simply be the aerial imagery that you have.

I do encourage a few brave souls to get AC3D for $89 so you can add a real runway, buildings, trees, and static aircraft. It seems to take me about 5 hours to do a first cut airport (once I have done the first one). At some point, IPACS will provide access to their models.

Edited once, last by whitav8 (July 16, 2017 at 9:15 PM).

• Note this the above addition to the TSC file will let you use the Location function to start at the runway but not actually generate a runway model ( a few polygons with texture on them) on top of the photoreal surface imagery. You will still need to generate this model using AC3D or 3DStudio - though I heard that is being worked on so a generic runway can be added more easily. The SDK has two example airports (Kingman and Oceanside) with source for examples.

NOTE: The above TSC edits will add nighttime lighting and VASI + approach lighting. The runway will simply be the aerial imagery that you have.

I do encourage a few brave souls to get AC3D for $89 so you can add a real runway, buildings, trees, and static aircraft. It seems to take me about 5 hours to do a first cut airport (once I have done the first one). At some point, IPACS will provide access to their models.

You do not need to generate any models to just define runways for the map.

You only need the TSC file

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hang in there - jeff says "All you will need to do is convert a TSC file. Just place the TSC file into a folder with the "content_converter_config' file and run it." Nope - all you have to do is add the lines that Jeff provides (with suitable lon-lat changes) into the TSC file - you don't have to run the Content-Converter from the SDK.

In other words, just find the lon-lat of the two endpoints of the runway (just start with one of them if more than one) using GoogleEarth (my choice) - zoom in tight on the ends of the runway, move the mouse to those points, add a bookmark and read off (or copy CNTRL-V) the decimal value of the endpoints right before the numbers on the runway.[Blocked Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k415/whitav8/RWY_Endpoint_zpsroqldyiu.jpg]

• Official Post

I'll be also adding a new tutorial (written by Rodeo) for this task to the Wiki. Just give me a day or so.

Yes, that is actually correct. You don't even have to run the converter (I completely forgot about that) , thank you for pointing that out Whitav8.

Regards,

Jeff

• Adam-80UK,

you are really moving fast within a few days: Mastering geoconvert, adding adjacent areas, creating airports. What's next? ;)

As IPACS admin stated, please give us some more time to prepare the solution without using expensive tools like 3Dmax.
    What you can do already, is defining an airport without graphics. This is mentioned by Jeff and will be in the wiki quite soon.

In a cooperation of whitav8, Jeff and me we developed a way to create an airport with AC3D.
    All information can be found in the developers' forum. But this will partially change now with the new geoconvert tool.
    Nevertheless you can make yourself already familiar with AC3D, if you are interested in the next steps.

whitav8

It's good so see you again in the forum! :)

Rodeo

• Wow, this is so encouraging. No doubt we will be looking for a dropbox someplace so the brave souls can upload their work and us lesser brave souls can download it and enjoy their work. I am just full of ideas. :S

Regards,

Ray

• Wow, this is so encouraging. No doubt we will be looking for a dropbox someplace so the brave souls can upload their work and us lesser brave souls can download it and enjoy their work. I am just full of ideas. :S

Regards,

Ray

I have been wondering about a shared terabyte dropbox, but who pays for it? Open access (risk of inappropriate stuff?) or someone has a job of allocating passwords and monitoring?

I do have 100GB of server space that I hardly use at all, and I just found this that sounds like it converts it into the equivalent of dropbox. I'll do some testing if I get time (about to go on holiday).

http://lifehacker.com/5993596/how-to…s-with-owncloud

• I have been wondering about a shared terabyte dropbox, but who pays for it? Open access (risk of inappropriate stuff?) or someone has a job of allocating passwords and monitoring?

I do have 100GB of server space that I hardly use at all, and I just found this that sounds like it converts it into the equivalent of dropbox. I'll do some testing if I get time (about to go on holiday).

http://lifehacker.com/5993596/how-to…s-with-owncloud

We can possibly spread it around and allocate a ceiling then don't accept anymore. Something along those lines.

Regards,

Ray

• We can possibly spread it around and allocate a ceiling then don't accept anymore. Something along those lines.

Regards,

Ray

In practice there may only be a handful of people who make good quality stuff with water masks done, so it might not be arduous to request and allocate a password. I'll see if I can get the tech going.