A discussion about different levels and mixing or integrating small HD areas within larger areas.

• I have been routinely using levels 9, 11, 12, 13 and 14 for the TMC and using 1 meter source data. I do understand that I could be using 0 or even -1 but the files are 4 times larger and not that much improvement. I do not use VR so that may be why it is not that noticeable an improvement on the 1 meter source.

What I do not understand is that should I desire to improve a small area that already has levels 9 - 14 such as just a runway or a ramp area do I use level 0 and then only build level 13 and 14? What is the suggestion here for small super detailed areas. Once I have images built for this runway or ramp, do I just dump them in with the larger area in the docs/scenery/images folder?

Can I have several doc/scenery/images folders? such as images/fs_hometown, fs_jackson, fs_meridian, and can I mix FSET and USGS generated completed images in the docs/scenery/image folder?

I seem to have more black areas and more temporary lined areas when I mix different areas in the docs/scenery/images folder than when I only have one area for AF2 to use. Many of these unwanted dark or black rectangles disappear as you approach or fly over it but comes back once you pass by. Scenery is underneath these dark areas. Maybe this has to do with switching levels and speed of the aircraft.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ray

• Can I have several doc/scenery/images folders? such as images/fs_hometown, fs_jackson, fs_meridian, and can I mix FSET and USGS generated completed images in the docs/scenery/image folder?

Yes , currently I'm testing the tool with patches of ground in the Geneva area touching the Swiss DLC, because it has all the technical challenges for photoscenery integration, and it touches a part of our Swiss DLC that need big improvements.

Therefore, I currently created a France\images folder, and if I was then to work on the German side of the Bodensee I would sure make a Germany\images folder. If I was to make several Länder in Germany, I would also make several folders not to mix them, otherwise you quickly have a mess...

GeoConvert and AFS2 absolutely don't care about the source of your pictures. You can mix them as you want. All it does is take pixels of the pictures you feed in, with the coordinates you feed in and compile georeferenced AFS2 Tiles.

You can make a ground scenery with your grandmother's picture if you want (;-)

Black areas are typically missing textures. When you fly by AFS2 loads higher LOD levels, just like mip mapping. There could by some missing/damaged texture in some intermediate compilation level. When you fly closer, a higher level gets loaded and the texture is available, but flying past it unloads from memory and the black tiles pops up again.

My 2 cents

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• The "black areas" Jetjockey10 mentioned is most likely missing texture from the source map service, and the "temporary lined areas" he mentioned is most likely the stripes we have been complaining about. Jeff said that this is the blend technique used for meshing the geoconvert scenery with default/DLC scenery. I really wish they are looking into this and get it resolved soon.