USGS JP2 Converter Application Update

• Hello,

Didn't want you to think i had quit working on this... quite the opposite. In the last couple days I have butchered hundreds of tiles. Learned a whole mess about exactly what we need in the geoconvert tool and found new and interesting ways to interact with applications that never meant to be run from another program (looking at you geoconvert) :)

I still need to build a gui for this thing which will likely take another few days but it is stable and working well.

I am currently testing on 8Km by 7Km, 1meter Naip Tiles, 450 of them.

Here is a sample of the program output as it works through the steps.. and the attached screen captures show the various steps as I see them this moment. JP2toTIF, TIFtoLatLong and Finally Geoconvert/TilesEverywhere

-Starting Image Conversion # 11 for F:\Imagery_Temp\IMG_108.jp2

-Converting JP2 to TIF

-Projecting TIF to Lat/Long

-Deleting Extra Tifs

-Finding Image Bounding Box

-NW-Corner -105.125025241, 39.3125200088

-SE-Corner -105.062463302, 39.2499813999

-Writing TMC

-NW-Corner -105.13, 39.32

-SE-Corner -105.06, 39.24

-Writing TFW

-Run Geoconvert Tool

-Geoconvert Active

-CPU Usage 25.975

-0 New tiles created since last check

-CPU Usage 63.475

-6 New tiles created since last check

-CPU Usage 78.4375

-8 New tiles created since last check

-CPU Usage 99.6

-CPU Usage 86.7375

-11 New tiles created since last check

-CPU Usage 24.8

-2 New tiles created since last check

-CPU Usage 35.3125

-CPU Usage 25.5875

-CPU Usage 98.4375

-CPU Usage 94.0

-12 New tiles created since last check

-CPU Usage 97.95

-CPU Usage 93.9625

-10 New tiles created since last check

-CPU Usage 97.175

-CPU Usage 62.8875

-6 New tiles created since last check

-CPU Usage 24.775

-CPU Usage 25.175

-CPU Usage 11.9

-Geoconvert Completed

-Deleting Extra Tifs

-Conversion # 11 took 0:02:11

-Average Processing time is 0:01:56

-

• Sycosys,

I know a user that surely could use something like this. So much USGS scenery, so many individual tfw files to hand make. duh.

Regards,

Ray

As soon as i get this thing packaged into a gui and turned into an exe I am very excited to get this out to folks.. Im sure there are bugs and things i havent thought about but so far this is a huge time saver for big datasets and we will sort it out together.

I had the wild thought of sorting out how to do this over distributed processing so i could get a handful of old machines loaded up with this software and have em start chewing away at the usgs repository.

• I have 5TB just waiting. I'm thinking we will be shifting focus to adding some structures, trees buildings, etc. to our new scenery.

I got my first taste of new runway surfaces, hangars, static aircraft and such at my hometown airport last night. This may create a serious impact on my active flying. So many new things to do, so little time.

How do we thank these new wonderful friends for spending their precious free time working on my little airport and teaching me how to make the scenery work?

Isn't it amazing how quickly our priorities can change? I haven't seen a post in a week about ATC, weather, Q400.

Regards,

Ray

• Official Post

As soon as i get this thing packaged into a gui and turned into an exe I am very excited to get this out to folks.. Im sure there are bugs and things i havent thought about but so far this is a huge time saver for big datasets and we will sort it out together.

I had the wild thought of sorting out how to do this over distributed processing so i could get a handful of old machines loaded up with this software and have em start chewing away at the usgs repository.

Once you have it packaged up and users have some time to test this out, i'll publish it so that it's available for everyone to see and download. We have to let it out there for a little bit to ensure no critical bugs aren't found before I do so.

Also, are you planning on building this for FSET users as well?

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• @Jetjockey10 I am going to package up my USGS JP2 to TIF with TFW application. I'll get it to you this weekend.

I need to work out a tile mask generation issue that i have come across.

BUT!!!! Generating Tifs and TFW from usgs imagery is really easy if the tools are in place..

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL With Default Options!!! -- osgeo4w -- google it.. its there, get it for your particular brand of Windows

Edited once, last by Sycosys (July 22, 2017 at 12:19 AM).