My comments on Aerofly FS2

• Hi, I have been flying Aerofly FS2 for a while now, playing it solely with the Oculus Rift and find the experience very enjoyable. Already ordered a motion base and proper flight controls to further improve the experience. (Currently just using a cheap joystick). I have been reading the forum and excited on the upcoming updates.

Here are my comments:

- I would really like to save different navigational routes so I can quickly switch from one to the other. Is there noway of doing so currently?

- The flickering of the clouds is very annoying in VR, it induces nausea and takes away from the experience. Hopefully this is fixed soon.

- The transparency of the windshields varies greatly between planes. For me, the Cessna is nearly perfect, however, some planes like the Barron it is much less transparent making the outside scenery look pale and not as attractive. Also some planes have very obvious baked reflections and smudges which is annoying.
    I already read people complaining about sound which I also agree, needs to be improved.

Overall I think its a fantastic experience in VR and can't wait for the upcoming updates, would appreciate your feedback on the above comments.

Thank you,

• Official Post

Hi and welcome to the Aerofly FS 2!

To my knowledge there is no official way to save a route. But the current route is saved in C:\Users\...\Documents\Aerofly FS 2 in the "main.mcf" file. If you backup that file you can save your route that way. When you want to switch back, replace the main.mcf with your backup file.

I may create a quick program to do that actually... That is very simple todo for me since I already wrote an algorithm to read in these type of aerofly files. So it's just a matter of storing your routes and then injecting them back into the current main.mcf file. I might actually do that, though I'm very busy right now and I hope I won't forget...

• Hi guys, great piece of software you have accomplished there ! I am not a true flight sim guy, have not found the time to dig in yet though am hoping that this will happen down the road one day I have more time.

However, as constructive critizism let me confirm what Anasmak11 said about the clouds in VR - they can look really great when passing through them or elevated from the ground, but where they are near the ground, e.g. in the Swiss alps, they are suddenly reduced to 90'ies style 5 layer plane graphics which can clearly be recognized as just being a few layers and then indeed even drag all attention by flickering wildly.

Another point I would love to see improved in the high res areas is the fact that trees/vegetation is generally shown three-dimensional but buidlings outside of the few true hotspots are flat. Is it really outside of reach to have them procedurally raised to simple boxes, say with either a flat or pointy roof ? This is not so much about being accurate to depict the buildings correctly, but rather to not spoil the Illusion created by so many other great graphic details of your sim !

And I had a bug yesterday when flying near Yellowstone, there where "tree carpets" floating in the sky. They did not seem to be just wrongly elevated from the ground though, because they were not missing there, so just oddly appearing out of nowhere. I flew right through some trees, did not crash so no collision detection.

And, are there any new scenarios coming up ? Perhaps in Germany ? ;)

• Official Post

Hi guys, great piece of software you have accomplished there ! I am not a true flight sim guy, have not found the time to dig in yet though am hoping that this will happen down the road one day I have more time.

However, as constructive critizism let me confirm what Anasmak11 said about the clouds in VR - they can look really great when passing through them or elevated from the ground, but where they are near the ground, e.g. in the Swiss alps, they are suddenly reduced to 90'ies style 5 layer plane graphics which can clearly be recognized as just being a few layers and then indeed even drag all attention by flickering wildly.

Another point I would love to see improved in the high res areas is the fact that trees/vegetation is generally shown three-dimensional but buidlings outside of the few true hotspots are flat. Is it really outside of reach to have them procedurally raised to simple boxes, say with either a flat or pointy roof ? This is not so much about being accurate to depict the buildings correctly, but rather to not spoil the Illusion created by so many other great graphic details of your sim !

And I had a bug yesterday when flying near Yellowstone, there where "tree carpets" floating in the sky. They did not seem to be just wrongly elevated from the ground though, because they were not missing there, so just oddly appearing out of nowhere. I flew right through some trees, did not crash so no collision detection.

And, are there any new scenarios coming up ? Perhaps in Germany ? ;)

Hi there, first off welcome to our forum.

The clouds are currently only billboards. We are aware that the cloud system needs to be redone however, the current clouds are being generated by code that doesn't belong to IPACS and therefore can't change it much. We all agree that the clouds are "ugly" and need to be revamped. This will be done in the future but currently with everything else being worked on we simply can't get to it just yet. Consider the clouds as a placeholder for now.

The floating trees issue was rectified in a more recent update, so two things here; 1) make sure that your GPU drivers are at the latest version, and 2) make sure that you are on the most recent Aerofly FS2 build.

The trees also had an issue with users of the ATI graphics card, which was also fixed in an update.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff