Do you still have crash with 32GB of ram?

• I am considering an upgrade to 32GB of ram to overcome the crash I often encountered with GeoConvert. With 16GB of ram, I have to stay under something like 50nmx50nm for one region, otherwise it will crash during the conversion. So do you still have crash with 32GB of ram?

Also I never experienced any crash when I am using FSET to convert the map into FSX scenery, so there might be room of optimization for GeoConvert.

• Official Post

Make sure that you don't have anything running in the background that could chew up resources. I've tested geoconvert with up to 200nm x200nm running the conversion on a PC with 16GB and it has yet to crash. Also, if you are anticipating a large run be sure to reboot your PC just before. That should help.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thank you Jeff! I have done everything as you have said: reboot, close every app and every unusable process in the task manager, but it still crashes.

Make sure that you don't have anything running in the background that could chew up resources. I've tested geoconvert with up to 200nm x200nm running the conversion on a PC with 16GB and it has yet to crash. Also, if you are anticipating a large run be sure to reboot your PC just before. That should help.

• This won't help you but I ran an area 146 x 75 miles on my 12GB system and suffered no crashes. Just so you know it is possible. No idea what is happening on yours.

Away from home right now but looking forward to creating more areas when I return.

Ken

• Official Post

Thank you Jeff! I have done everything as you have said: reboot, close every app and every unusable process in the task manager, but it still crashes.

We will need to look more into the tool in general. There is still stuff that can be changed for the better, and I agree as well, there could be better optimization.

We are glad that there are users like you that care enough to post comments, suggestions, and even problems; that's what makes good tools great :)

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Frui,

You are not alone. I only have 12gb of RAM and I have to reduce the overall size to keep from crashing. GeoConvert is utilizing the Nvidia image processing library so it might matter just which video driver version we are using.

Dave

• Thanks for the Nvidia tip! Perhas we'd ask Jeff for his Nvidia driver version. :)

Frui,

You are not alone. I only have 12gb of RAM and I have to reduce the overall size to keep from crashing. GeoConvert is utilizing the Nvidia image processing library so it might matter just which video driver version we are using.

Dave

• I have an I7 6 core 32gb Ram quad channel and I am converting the UK. I had some good success with about 60gb chunks at various different detail settings.

I have just run off a 256gb chunk of the centre of the UK using FSET down to 1m per pixel and completed all the coast line masking but when I run geo converter it crashes after about 10 tiles. I have watched the memory usage and it just keeps consuming memory until it dies

Regards

WoOdZ

• I have an I7 6 core 32gb Ram quad channel and I am converting the UK. I had some good success with about 60gb chunks at various different detail settings.

I have just run off a 256gb chunk of the centre of the UK using FSET down to 1m per pixel and completed all the coast line masking but when I run geo converter it crashes after about 10 tiles. I have watched the memory usage and it just keeps consuming memory until it dies

Regards

WoOdZ

Please note what 'admin' said in a previous post.

There may be a memory leak causing the crashing but we aren't too sure yet. For some it crashes, for others it doesn't. Please give us more time to look into this.

Regards,

Jeff

• I think that it might be to do with a recent update that Microsoft forced upon me because previously it flew through it. Now it seems very slow to convert anything and write the converted files to the hard disk. Eventually the program crashes or the PC.

Look forward to the fix. If you could also make it not consume every resource on the machine it would be good. I could then browse the web or something while waiting for the computer to do the work. I have the PC hyper threaded and clocked to 4.5ghz on a RAMPAGE black edition motherboard with an ASUS 1080TI OC card for good measure. If you could get Geo convert using CUDA then that might be another improvement.

Anyway looking forward to completing the whole of the UK and Ireland to 1m per Pixel when you have a fix in place.

Flying over the UK in VR is great. Just need some buildings and trees around the Airports and I will be in flight sim bliss.

WoOdZ

• The out of memory bug is currently being investigated. We should have a fix by next week, then you can convert arbitrary large regions.

I can tell you that it is not arbitrary. I am converting the whole of the UK to a high level. North, Central and South. Central has the Lake District where I lived for many years. This area is beautiful and I have flown over it in real life.

• I have successfully converted large areas already. The only thing I can think of is a recent update to windows or Nvidia drivers.

The whole process starts off like it used to and I can see 5 levels for conversion and then we start with level 9. I can get to about 40 or nearly half of the 88 tiles at level 9 and then out of memory stops the process.

I would have to say that conversion is much slower than previously experienced and I am basically converting the same areas having understood better how to mask water using GIMP etc.

I am doing a method of capturing at a download of 1 and converting level 9, 11, 12, 13 and 14 for the whole land mass. I will then be adding a level 15 at -1 for airports and other areas of interest.

I really can't understand what is going on as I was able to do this with relative ease and it is no longer working on my main machine or surface pro.

I have included a screen shot of files that I have successfully converted following your tutorials.

Regards

WoOdZconfig-sample-HighDetail.zip

• I am having similar issues.

I download the tiles at level 2, convert to 9,10,11,12 and do a separate download 0 or -1 for the airport and convert to level 13 and 14.

approx 3/4 of the way through it seems to freeze (GeoConvert tool) but it's actually still processing (new scenery images being added to image folder)

When the last level is converting, the process stops.

I checked CPU usage throughout and it hit's 100% on all four cores (i7-7700k @ 4.5) and uses all 32GB of RAM.

Next time I will take photos of the process and collect some data to try to pin point the issue.

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• Yes that used to happen to me as well and everything completed fine although the tool window went blank.

This is an out of memory crash. Issue seems to be with Geo Convert tool and a memory hole if I was a betting man.

Very odd though that it was working just like yours and now it does not. Only changes are update graphics drivers and a Windows 10 small update.