Airbus 320 tutorial flight

• Official Post

We can certainly work off of this for the published tutorial. Some pictures complementing each step would do it for the most part.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• We can certainly work off of this for the published tutorial. Some pictures complementing each step would do it for the most part.

Maybe a tad longer with a few checkpoints would be nice.

Regards,

Ray

• Lovely tutorial. To the point and clear. Thanks!

Thank you, you're very welcome!

We can certainly work off of this for the published tutorial. Some pictures complementing each step would do it for the most part.

Nice to hear! Feel free (obviously) to use or edit or or correct change whatever you want! ;)

• This may be tricky to follow in VR!!!

I think a couple of 2D goes is in order first to get the idea.

Yes, that is tricky if not impossible. ;) I created the tutorial in 2D too: first time that I flew in 2D since I got the Rift. ;) Whenever the Dash tutorial comes along I will also have to do a few flights in 2D. Hopefully IPCAS can come up with a solution for this at some time (like an iPad you can pick up in the cockpit and which actually works, if only to read pdf's) because with brand new planes I often use tutorials/manuals/checklist a lot in the beginning, specially with the more complicated planes. And luckily the default Aerofly FS 2 planes are getting more and more complicated. ;)

Anyway, you will find though that thanks to the Airbus automation things are pretty simple once you know how it works (isn't that the truth for everything...). Most steps are quite logical and once you know the flow (like with the Flaps at approach) things are pretty easy and self explanatory! (But I have flown Airbusses for years already so I may be wrong LOL)

• Well this is where OpenVRDesktopPortal (or OVRdrop on Steam) comes in handy... in game clipboard with checklist on it

I've heard about it but I also understand you need to run SteamVR for that...? And that may hurt performance a bit...?

• I don't know very much about the A320 but, when flying the tutorial, level at 22,000 feet, I notice a bit of nose up attitude when viewing with an external view from the side. Also, the airplane is about 4 or 5 degrees nose up in the PFD while in level flight.

Should the PFD display just simply be adjusted to show level flight? If so, where is the knob to do this?

See pic.

Regards,

Ray

• ^ as he said.

The cruise speed I chose is not very high. Typically most airlines don't fly much faster either, because fuel has become more expensive and cabin crew cheaper. So flying longer is more economic in most cases.

If you fly slow you need more angle of attack to lift the same weight. Therefor your pitch is higher the slower you fly. Having 0 deg of pitch throughout the entire flight is impossible if you keep the same speed. You could speed up at first and then slow down over time as the aircraft gets lighter...

• ^ as he said.

The cruise speed I chose is not very high. Typically most airlines don't fly much faster either, because fuel has become more expensive and cabin crew cheaper. So flying longer is more economic in most cases.

If you fly slow you need more angle of attack to lift the same weight. Therefor your pitch is higher the slower you fly. Having 0 deg of pitch throughout the entire flight is impossible if you keep the same speed. You could speed up at first and then slow down over time as the aircraft gets lighter...

Really? huh. :huh::whistling::/ imagine that. ?(

• Vertical profile shows you are way above the vertical flight plan and the text "DECELERATE" indicates that you have not initiated a descent yet. So yes, the descent should be initiated.

I lost interest and just started looking around the cockpit. Then aborted the flight. I wonder why Airbus couldn't use a Heading button for headings.

Regards,

Ray

• I wonder why Airbus couldn't use a Heading button for headings.

You can. When you push the heading knob (left click) you are in managed mode: you will see three lines and a dot and the plane follows the loaded flighplan. If you pull the heading knob (right click) you are in manual mode and you can set any heading you want. Pretty handy if you want to stay out of the mountains around LOWI during an approach but still want to fly using the autopilot. ;)

• J van E,

Thanks.

Hmm. It must have been a carry over from another airplane because it didn't work like that for me. I will try again one day with a clean startup. btw, if you don't like making the 180 degree turn to the runway at Chico ramp, you an easily modify the tsc file to have the aircraft parking at any heading. easy peasy.

Regards,

Ray

• btw, if you don't like making the 180 degree turn to the runway at Chico ramp, you an easily modify the tsc file to have the aircraft parking at any heading. easy peasy.

Interesting! Thanks for the tip. I may use that for airports I frequently use. Chico isn't one of them. I had a hard time finding airports that weren't too far apart but far enough to fly above 18.000 ft (so I could show the QNH switch) and that didn't have mountains around them (so people could use the AP ASAP and wouldn't crash into mountains before the flight had actually started) and that would allow a take off without an immediate turn following it (which is why I let the plane turn around on the ground in this example) and that had runways which were long enough. I seriously couldn't find an airport that had all that and a parking spot in the right direction... so after looking for quite a while I finally gave up and chose Chico with the turn around... ;)