Tool which simplifies the usage of the GeoConvert tool

• Hi all,

to simplify the workflow, when using the GeoConvert tool, i programmed a tool called GeoConvert Helper. To use it, simply enter the source and destination folder and the tool will do the remaining tasks, including the creation of the tfw and the tmc files and starting GeoConvert.

I thought the tool may be helpful for other GeoConvert users, so i uploaded it to the forum. Feel free to use it at your own risk.

And by the way, a big thank you to IPACS for the great work.

Regards

Uwe

Version 1.07:

- The file "PartialFSEarthTiles.ini" isn't needed anymore, the information is now read from the generated inf files

- In advanced mode three areas with difererent detail levels can be defined

- The creation of raw images is now supported

- minor ui adjustments

Version 1.06:

- Coordinates can now be edited before starting the GeoConvert tool

- Coordinates can have more than two decimal places, if desired

Version 1.05:

- tif files are taken into account when checking the source folder

- inf file parser improved

Version 1.04:

- tif files are taken into account. If a tif file is found in the source folder it will be copied instead of the bmp file

- improved status display (right click to clear or copy its content)

- minor UI enhancements

Version 1.03:

- minor UI changes

- check, whether "aerofly_fs_2_geoconvert.exe" is present

- readme.txt added

• Hi Uwe:

Thanks for the utility. I should be doing something wrong, but the tool is not writing anything into the images folder (located in C:\Aerofly_FS_2_SDK\aerofly_fs_2_geoconvert\scenery\images), and it seems to be converting everything too fast. Could you check?.

Thanks and cheers, Ed

• Hi Uwe:

Thanks for your answer. After several trials, I can confirm that now it's working very well.

I think it was an issue related to the creation of an .ini file inside the FSET work directory (PatialFSEarthTiles.ini), that I've created pressing the E button inside FSET before making the tiles during one of the tests, and that did not exist or never considered before on my setup.

Very useful utility. Congrats!.

Sorry for bothering.

Cheers, Ed

• Uwe,

I must be doing something incorrect - in the FSET working directory, I have the big BMP, the inf, and the PartialFSEarthTiles.ini files. When I start your Helper, it reports on the bottom line that the BMP file was copied and it is to "input_aerial_images", BUT 0 TFW files, then the gch.tmc file was created OK and the contents look fine - but of course, without the TFW or AIC file, no scenery\images were created.

Thanks - I know we will figure this out. DO I have to have the inf2tfw program somewhere?

Dave

• Hello Dave,

that is strange. The tool copies all files named "Area_L*.bmp" and "AreaFSInfo*.inf" from the source to the destination directory. In the destination directory the tfw file will be created, but only if there is an inf file. So i assume that the inf file was not copied.

But why? Are the inf files in the source directory named like mine, for example "AreaFSInfo_Lm1_SnapOff_N050470998_N050442945_E007252124_E007272952.inf"?

To find out what is going wrong, please copy the inf file by hand into the destination folder and uncheck "Delete file in destination folder"

And no, you don't need inf2tfw anymore.

Uwe

• Uwe,

Thanks for the file naming search explanation - you were correct. For some reason, my inf file was misnamed. Now it works fine - this should really help those who are reluctant to try GeoConvert! One little thing - the delete file checkboxes are to imply a "clearing" of old files that are still there from an earlier effort but maybe a little confusing for some. Also, the browse for folder Popups - it would be nice if I could in addition to the folder rundown just CNTL-C/CNTL-V the path - I hate to click 5 or 6 times to get to the path. It might be nice to actually copy the results into the Documents\Aerofly FS 2\scenery\places\myfolder for me. Not necessary of course. Finally, I might like to have the TMC file show the exact corners from the INF file, not just the rounded two decimal numbers - I would use this for small airport inserts with only the highest level checked (not sure about level 15 for that).

Great effort - much better than as delivered by IPACS!

Dave

• Hi Uwe:

Thanks again for this excellent utility that simplifies the workflow quite a bit.

Would like you to consider, as pointed out also by Dave, the use of more exact coordinates instead of those only two decimals round up in the TMC file.

Cheers, Ed

• Official Post

Hi Uwe:

Thanks again for this excellent utility that simplifies the workflow quite a bit.

Would like you to consider, as pointed out also by Dave, the use of more exact coordinates instead of those only two decimals round up in the TMC file.

Cheers, Ed

Just a note here; the 2 point decimal prevents errors and missing files after conversion. The 2 decimal point system is how the geoconvert tool was build on. Until that changes, you can have problems with your conversion if you don't use this process.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Official Post

I'm also not stating that limiting to two decimal points is required either. I've noted errors if processed with longer decimal coordinates where no images showed up when the tool completed the conversion. This was confirmed, but for some others it works fine. Until we figure out why this is happening I just suggest limiting to x.xx format for now.

In my opinion though, you should be able to use the exact decimal conversion so this will need to be fixed.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hi Dave,

thank you for your positive feedback.

One little thing - the delete file checkboxes are to imply a "clearing" of old files that are still there from an earlier effort but maybe a little confusing for some

Do you mean that the caption of the checkbox is confusing? What would you suggest instead?

Also, the browse for folder Popups - it would be nice if I could in addition to the folder rundown just CNTL-C/CNTL-V the path - I hate to click 5 or 6 times to get to the path.

You can copy and paste in the textbox itself. If you open the folder search dialog (which is by the way created by Microsoft), the selected folder is already marked, you only need to scrolldown a bit.

It might be nice to actually copy the results into the Documents\Aerofly FS 2\scenery\places\myfolder for me. Not necessary of course.

That's a good idea. I will think about it.

Regards

Uwe

• I've used your new tool and everything seems to have worked out alright and I see my converted files in my "input aerial images folder so now do I copy those files and paste them into Documents/AeroflyFS2/Scenery/images and enjoy? Lol

Just create a new folder with the newly created image files inside the Documents/AeroflyFS2/Scenery/images directory with a name of your preference and enjoy!.

Cheers, Ed