How do I land using ILS on my iPad?

• Hand flying an ILS to minimums is just fun. It is great just flying Aerofly in the soup for ten minutes and maintaining a chosen height plus or minus 100 feet, the sim height keeping is harder than real life! Perhaps if a certain genre of pilots did a lot more hand flying they would be better at fixing unexpected events.

IPACS have mentioned mobile beta testing, a 100% minimum visibility ILS is brilliant with the fog piercing PAPIs fixed. Seeing the runway lights appear properly when well below any sane decision height is so rewarding.

Are you talking about flying the PC or mobile version when you say flying in the soup? And what do you mean "a 100% minimum visibility ILS?" Sorry if I sound stupid. I am really enjoying this thread.

• Both, I haven't had my PC version working since the giant download in the spring (northern hemisphere). With the mobile visibility slider all the way to the left the visibility is somewhere around 0.3 nautical miles. There are no fancy ALSF or what ever approach lights at FS2 mobile Monterey. With minimum vis' the runway lights appear at about 120 feet height, 320 feet altitude, that is with the PAPIS fixed in beta.

Wind from the right, threshold elevation approx 200 feet. 100kt is ATC friendly.

Edited once, last by Overloaded (October 4, 2017 at 9:16 AM).

• I just tried it – the C172 to Monterey 28 L in VFR conditions. I started in location, pulled the aircraft icon to about 6 miles out heading west towards Monterey, went to navigation, zeroed it, set Monterey 28 L as the destination, then started the flight. The localiser needle worked nicely, but the glideslope showed me below the glideslope all the way. So I am missing a step I guess. Oh, and I’m using an iPad Pro. Awesome actually.

• It is common enough to see approach plates warning that PAPIS and VASIS do not agree with a particular ILS glidepath. The ILSs in Aero are usually pretty accurate but I'm not sure if the PAPIS are tuned to a specific precise descent gradient.

The NDB at Monterey is passed at 1,600 feet in the ILS approach, it passes in Aero with the glideslope needle centred at 1,600 feet so the Aero ILS is working fine.

There is something funny about the Cessna and Baron, the navigation menu doesn't work with them, they are always set up for Monterey with the VOR set at 090 for Salinas.

• It worked fine for me using a 10.5 pro. You weren't using the 'co pilot' autopilot thing were you? It doesn't follow the ILS glideslope. Here is the manual ILS going past the NDB. You might need to click the image to see the ADF needle mid swing. The PAPIS looked in agreement with the ILS down to a height of 200 feet.

• I tried a 737-500 manual STAR into Ontario in Southern California not too long ago. It was great in vmc seeing the hard terrain close to the real life route, being guided down around some serious mountains. Wonderful fun 'in' a proper aeroplane. They are a bit Airbus happy at the minute, an on/off switch would do for an Airbus 😎.

• They are a bit Airbus happy at the minute, an on/off switch would do for an Airbus 😎.

It all has its benefits and downsides, we as simmers have the opportunity to try out a lot of different aircraft.

But, for security reasons you would probably need two switches, because if that one switch ever fails you have a single point of failure.